Game crash I can't seem to solve

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by T-Dragonus, Jan 31, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. T-Dragonus

T-Dragonus Member

Before I downloaded the latest co8 patch, the game always seemed to exit when I encountered the elves(who rewarded you) after freeing the Countess Tillahi and Juffer. After I downloaded the patch, I am allowed to encounter them, but after I do so and save, the game exits when I try to load it. Anybody know why this happens(I have tried all of Atari's official suggestions -- to no surprise, they don't work), if there is a way to fix it, and if there isn't, perhaps it should be considered for a future patch.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sounds like random save corruption, something that's been around since forever. Try a different save and then play through it instead of saving/loading. I haven't heard of any Co8 issues in this area.

3. T-Dragonus

T-Dragonus Member

Never mind... now it won't allow that encounter at all(it always exits no matter what save I load up). On a side note it is very apparent this game was rushed to delivery. Proof of this can be found by looking in the readme to find a section were you can see "<Developer Insert Comments>" --they didnt even complete the readme file.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It certainly was rushed to delivery, unfortunately. And that's why Co8 has been trying to fix it since day 1.

5. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

Computer game companies should be more responsible.

I think that companies that rush poorly tested and developed computer games to the shelves in order to make some quick money ought to be held accountable the same way car companies, or other companies selling products, are held accountable. That means that the product should do what it claims to do as described on the box, and in the company's advertising, including their internet sites. Small glitches are probably inevitable, but when discovered the company should seek to address these with a patch reasonably quickly. The customer always comes first (after all who's paying the company's bills if not the customers ?) Games that clearly show poor pre-sales play testing should never be allowed onto the shelves, the stores should be made to send them back and customers unfortunate enough to buy such turkeys should be asked if they want to return their games for a full refund, like the car companies do with dud cars when they issue recalls.

If customers found a glitch in the design of a car that caused the car to crash repeatedly how long would the company get away without fixing the problem, such as by a recall ? Not very long, there would be court cases and law suits pending, stories on TV in the media, etc to make the car company act quick smart. The same principle should apply to the computer game companies. They too have a responsibility to sell quality products. And if they don't they should be held to account, even taken to court if things get bad enough, say with a class action. The customers deserve no less. This is what I think anyway. Does anyone agree with me on this ?

6. T-Dragonus

T-Dragonus Member

A very logical point of a view, hudson, and yes I agree, except unfortunately, only a fraction of the people share our passion of video games and as the way of the world dictates, the priority is most likely a car instead of a video game. But that is no excuse not to patch. Take a company like Blizzard, they patched frequently even for games as old as StarCraft. Perhaps the dedication of the company may be at fault here.

Our Host!