Further Respawning & a Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, May 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. MB

MB Member

Item Crafting

:wave: Has anyone thought of including an NPC in the game that can craft weapons/items for the party if they pay gold, complete a quest, etc? Don't know if this had been mentioned before, but it occurred to me that it would be quite beneficial to those parties without a spellcaster.

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Any npc spellcaster can craft magic items if they have the feat. Burne is a good choice when he gets to lvl10.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Re: Item Crafting

It would also be very broken as the only real balance to the AD&D crafting system is the experience cost.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I guess the owner of the Bazaar of the Bizarre wont be making any items for you then Zeb?

5. Zebedee

Sadly not Allyx :) One of those things which individual players make their own choices about, such as the NPC inventory hack. It's not a criticism of your fantastic work btw - I just think it is too easily abused. At least Verbobonc is limited in the amount of times you can get there but that will only work for the first run through as a balancing mechanism.

AD&D is broken in this respect as a system whether implemented in P&P or CRPGs. In P&P a good GM can at least temper the edge of the problem, but that's not possible in a computer game.

6. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Oh but it is Zeb, it just takes a whole lot of scripting. You may soon be the one doing it. Keep up the good work:)

7. Zebedee

I doubt it :) I'll never reach the level of the proper modders like you and Allyx.

How would you solve the basic problem of too much gold at high levels Ruf? Surely it's an almost impossible dilemma in an open-ended CRPG like ToEE?

8. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

I would do it by adding much more randomness to which quests you get each time through and make it so the game never plays exactly the same way twice, except for some of the bigger battles which are needed for the plot as per the original module. I would also account for player buffing and spank them for it. But that's just me and I can't do it alone. Catch me on IRC sometime and I'll fill you in:)

9. Zebedee

Hokay :)

Why do I get the feeling that you have BIG plans? My spider senses are tingling...

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Does drawing your swords count as buffing?

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

A few remarks about the orc cave prespawn . . . (better late than never, I hope)

- Do orcs really get +10 strength bonuses? They must be as strong as oxes, which seems unlikely. But they routinely dealt out 20+ damage per hit against my crew. :punch:

- I had some trouble getting a lot of the orcs interested in the battle. I was up against 5 fighters and the big dog in front, plus the assassin, the shaman, two archers, and 1 or two more fighters in the rear beyond the firepit. The orcs in the rear didn't engage when the front gang did, so it was like two separate battles. After I started attacking the rear crew with ranged fire, they still wouldn't engage. They would briefly assume the battle posture if they got hit, then go back to standing there normally with green circles. They would engage after I closed with them though.

- The shaman never cast any spells. Is he supposed to?

- More comments about caster targeting AI: all the melee orcs went straight for my casters, which I don't have a problem with in the case of orcs, being as they're intelligent. What this effectively means though is that parties are virtually assured of having a caster death or two before the rolls start falling in their favor, unless you pre-buff to the max. I personally find guaranteed deaths very irritating, as I like to hold onto the notion that it's possible that everyone will survive any encounter. When you get 3 or 4 early battle deaths in a row in consecutive tries of the same battle, the enjoyment factor takes a decided drop. Also (and I know this is a ToEE engine feature), it's basically impossible to actually block any creature's path in this game. Opponents dash through inconcievably narrow gaps with great regularity, so you might as well forget about your tanks doing anything other than chasing adversaries around the map and wacking away at them in hopes of taking them down before they get in their automatic barbarian rage critical hit 20s on the hapless mages. Just food for thought anyway. ;)

Otherwise this whole thing was very cool, Ruf. btw, I didn't experience any unusual slowdowns like I've read in a few other posts here and there. Nice and smooth. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I made a few dialogue changes to NPCs who remarked on the presence of ogres upon arriving at the map, as was meant to happen in vanilla. They're in the fixes thread.

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

They shouldn't. The generic orcs should be doing something like +5 to damage (I believe they have 16 Str and are two-handing their weapons.) The leader might be doing something close to +10 when he's raging, though. Unless the unfixed orcs somehow made their way back into the game, the schmoe orcs shouldn't be doing more than 13 damage a hit outside of a critical.

13. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

I'm sorry Kalshane, but I need to disagree with you on this one. A holy symbol would be like the cannoness' broach or the Cannon's starburst emlem, and should take up a slot. Not only is it logical, but it's a small price to pay for the ability to focus divine energy into a spell or to turn undead. Most holy symbols though, could use a jewelry slot on the character's person, most often the necklace position.

The trade off for a cleric is simply no magical medalions since that position is filled with the holy symbol of the deity that he serves. Think of the clerics holy symbol as similar to thieves tools or a bard's musical instrument. It takes up a spot on your person, and it adds it's negligable encumberance value, but without it you would be penalized on your turn undead in the same way a rogue takes a penalty to open locks if she doesn't have thieves tools equipped in the proper slot.

Mistletoe on the other hand would not be worn as a necklace, so while there is precedence in the game for herbs to occupy a space in the backpack in the same way a wizard's familiar does, maybe it could be possible to modify the thieves tools slot or bardic instrument slot for a druid so that it would hold mistletoe instead. I don't know what would be involved to make that change, it just popped into my head this very moment.

That is of course presupposing that your druid isn't muticlassing as a rogue.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  14. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

But the necklace "postition" by the rules only pertains to magical items. In the PNP game, a character can go Mr. T style if they want with jewelry. Nothing prohibits this. However, only one of those items can be magical. Holy Symbols are not magic items. Creating a holy symbol and forcing the player to equip it in their necklaces slot would unfairly penalize clerics.

15. Zebedee

I agree with this. If we're going to introduce holy symbols into a game where space is determined by 'slots' in a backpack with a battleaxe taking up as much space as a little bit of hemlock then to make a holy symbol also only equipable in a neck slot is perversely hampering a cleric. I see the advantages of making holy symbols an item but I also see a lot of disadvantages - especially for NPCs who can join a party with the current hack we've got to avoid the headaches of the NPC loot system.

The analogy with instruments and tools is flawed. Tools and instruments can be changed, bettered and offer different options. A holy symbol remains a holy symbol.

Our Host!