Fun with Iuz

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sacto J, Oct 5, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sacto J

Sacto J Member

I started playing again recently and I'm all the way down to the 4th level when I stumble across Hendrak(sp?) the temple commander. I definately remember his from the last time I played, and charge on in.

As you may know, after I beat him up a bit and he summons Iuz. I was feeling pretty good about my party, but it was slaughtered within 2 rds by Iuz.

I've been able to kill Hendrak before he summons, but I wanted to know from other players what you've done when Iuz shows up. Is there a way to beat him, or is that totally impossible? He's got almost 800 hps and SR 35 (fun!).

Thanks,

Sacto J

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

You can defeat him with the swords from prince Thrommel (killing him or saving him). I have heard of people buffing up their fighter with stoneskin and other buffs, tripping Iuz, and beating him down. Apparently he cannot reply to St. Cuthbert if he is tripped, so he does not leave, and you can kill him.

There are probably YouTube videos showing how to do this.

3. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

The responses here will be interesting. I'm sure there will be those who craft and have a party of uber-weapons that barely sweat this battle.

I do not craft so I save this battle until the end so that my party has achieved as high a level as it can for this battle. I then buff my group very heavily. Below is a pic where you can see my party is ready to go in. I have cast: Hero's Feast, Stoneskin, Mass Bear's Endurance, Displacement, Haste, Greater Heroism, and Mass Bull's Strength. My priest has also cast Righteous Might. I find that the most important spells are stoneskin and displacement.

Once I go in, I have one of my fighters engage Iuz first as Iuz tends to go after whomever hits him first. I also have my priest hang back a bit and have her place as many heal spells in her spell selection as possible. That way, I have her heal the fighter every round so that his hp stays as high as possible.

After that, it comes down to luck on the rolls. More often than not, Cuthbert shows up and leaves with Iuz.

Attached Files:

4. mmonagle

Ranth makes a good point about the sword. The fighter that I have go in first carries Scather if at all possible. The extra hp from attacks of opportunity are quite helpful. I've never used Fragarach though - I would have a hard time believing a CG fighter could carry it and still have a soul. ;)

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Thrommel looks like a vampire at first. Attack before you talk to him.

6. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

o_O

I've never thought to attack him before because I'm sure it would mess up my end cut scenes but now I am going to try it.

7. mmonagle

I have to laugh - if I posted something like this, I would get a multi-paragraph lecture from Gaear about playing to your alignment and what not. That and even though I generally do. In this case, like I said: no soul.

I would actually love to see the knight encounter that stems from his rescue get modded. A check could be made to see if you are carrying his sword or whether he lived for that matter. If yes to either, then they go KOS. Of course, they would need some beefing up and that would (eyes-rolling) go against what Troika originally published. :roll: Maybe to keep that part 'pure', a new party of knights could be created for this purpose...

8. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

If you click or hover over Thrommel before you talk it says 'Vampire'. That is all the motivation I need as a paladin.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

What the Fork!

All this time I never knew he was a vampire.

Then my pally should have fallen from letting him join us and helping him like I always do.

Darn, stinking vamps ...

10. mmonagle

Technically he isn't a vampire. In the module, there is an illusion on him while he sleeps that makes him appear to be a vampire.

11. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I had an enlarged half orc monk (party of 12-13th level) with a 28 STR and improved tripping feat trip him (after 2 reloads), Once he was down my party and 2 ginormus earth elementals pounded on him. Sorcerer blasted on everyone else and 2 spiritual weapons kept everyone else occupied while fighter, barbarian, rogue and druid wailed on him. Every round the monk tripped him again for good measure. St Cuthbert just stood there. If fact once Iuz died, he just stood there while I explore the rest of the level. I stayed clear of him and didn't try to talk to him. The strange thing was Iuz had no treasure, it was quite disappointing. But he was worth quite a bit of XP, I went up in level after the fight.

12. Necroticpus

Aren't you supposed to use True Seeing on Thrommel to see him as he really is in the module? Does that work in the game? Does anything extra special happen when you do it?

13. mmonagle

Does True Seeing work in the game? I have tried using it at other places - like on Kella when she is a hill giant - and haven't gotten any results.

Thrommel will speculate with you about why the temple forces chose to disguise him as a vampire if you talk to him once he is in your group.

14. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

No Idea. I either kill him, loot him, and leave him, or rescue the whiny guy. Now I have been known to rescue him, use friendly fire to take him out, loot him, And THEN rescue him and take him on up. But then I can play some nasty selfish neutral mercenaries. ;)

15. Necroticpus

Something cool should happen if you use true seeing on him. Chances are you won't be sufficient level to know the spell but you can always get a scroll.

Our Host!