fun with corpses

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by vampiricpuppy, May 27, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I was thinking perhaps this bug is caused by the fact the undead HAVE no constitution... so when you rest, the game tries to add HP based on level and decides that the undead (with no con score) are actually to be treated as if they were suffering from ability point damage (E.G. reduced their con score to 0 or below)?

Not sure if assigning them a 10 in the con entry in their stat block would prevent this bug from taking effect? or otherwise break the undead in another way (con score being used for fortitude saves and all that), just trying to make sence of how it's becoming broken.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats a damn good call Al, because adding AI characters other ways (such as Charm, or the mercenaries in KotB) doesn't cause this paralysis bug. Its either something to do with being undead, or something to do with how rebuke / command (or whatever its technical name is) functions, which is in the engine and won't be fixable.

V_P, if you wanna test this, you'll have to change the protos.tab entry for a skeleton then console in a new one (or two) and command them.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Changing CON from -1 to any positive value could possibly impact [and reverse] things like breaking undead immunity to critical hits and other undead traits.

If someone writes code for a game and were to ask, "How do we define one way to determine if something is undead," the answer should be "It has a negative con."

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Then give them a con of 1 & see what happens. Technically, anything with that gets 3d6 for stats is dead with a stat of less than 3. Fleshy undead could have a con of 2, boney ones a con of 1, and noncorporeal a 0. If there's anything there at all, it counts for something in the way of physical make-up. If it's all hard-coded, then these ideas are moot.

5. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

man allyx :p you're good!

Out of curiosity - could this problem (if allyx's reasoning is correct) also be approached by looking at how resting works? Or is that totally hard-coded into the game.

Some kind of check for constitution score before attempting to apply rested HP would be what i mean.

i'm gonna check out a few more things with commanding - get back to you all soon :)

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Resting is hard coded for sure.

Changing the Con to say 1 would mean big fat Con penalties per hit dice, and instant death if the critter gets hit with some sort of Con damage (if the playerts can do such a thing, maybe with a dagger of venom, I don't know). This may be easy to identify but it is gonna be tought to work around.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

what about a script that checks for any commanded undead, then destroys them and recreates them (like livs spell permanancy thing) when you rest (or just have it work through dialogue with the undead inquestion).

8. vampiricpuppy

would dialogue with minions be possible?

if thats the case then you could have a 'wakey wakey' dialogue option, and a 'here have these crossbow bolts' option, right? :D

i romped around the temple with a console-enhanced cleric of obad hai, giving him the air domain (i thought air domain rebuked air and turned earth.... but its the other way round in toee? meh i could be wrong).

Anyways, after commanding a tiny little group of 8 galeb duhr and 2 large elementals (20th level cleric... still seems a bit overpowered :D heehee), i proceeded to rest repeatedly without getting any sort of paralysis bugginess... which would support the negative Con score theory.

9. Allyx

Now you mention it I think the air domain turn/rebuke elementals thing is a bug (but beside the point).

Next test would need to be giving Undead constitution scores are seeing if they still get thier undead benefits (immune to anything requiring a fortitude save in particurlar). If they are still immune to spells that offer a fortitude save, then we can get this annoying bug squashed remarkably easily.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  10. vampiricpuppy

giving them a con score of <10 would make undead weaker HP wise as well, giving them a real score also would let them be subject to con drain/damage - is there a way of giving them a score of 10 (no fort save bonus, or hp bonus) but also making them immune to ability damage, so that the outcome is effectively the same as having a non-score?

edit: i mean to say: immune to CON damage/drain :p

11. vampiricpuppy

Bah! just checked the undead traits - immune to ability drain, cant take str/dex/con damage.

Undead Type

Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces.

Features
    An undead creature has the following features.

12-sided Hit Dice.
    Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard).
    Good Will saves.
    Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the undead creature has an Intelligence score. However, many undead are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.
    Traits
    An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

No Constitution score.
    Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
    Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
    Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
    Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
    Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

12. vampiricpuppy

ok, i tested it the way ted suggested, by modifying a skeleton proto and consoling it in.

changed 14107 skeleton

made the -1 con score 10 and tested: still got paralysis

made the -1 con and -1 int scores 10 and tested: no paralysis

made the -1 int score 10, left con at -1: no paralysis

methinks allyx got the correct idea but it was int that was the problem :p

wonder why int is linked to sleeping? something to do with the way ability damage/drain was implemented perhaps?

13. vampiricpuppy

under 14107 skeleton entry there is

bonus type 2 - 'monster plant'

this seems to be under other undead entries as well - since undead some things that plants do:

Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
    Not subject to critical hits.

could it be that the monster plant setting controls those things?

14. vampiricpuppy

theres also

OCF_NO_FLEE OCF_MUTE OCF_UNDEAD OCF_UNDEAD OCF_MUTE

under NPC flags col 99

mc_type_undead

under creature type col 163

which could be relevant... maybe? lol :questionm

15. Allyx

IIRC Monster_plant was added to undead to give the immunities to mind affecting spells etc, but it also has the effect of making undead immune to entangle - which they shouldn't be. :S

On the up side though, is there any reason why giving undead an int score of 1 will hinder them in any way? I mean it's not like they're ever gonna gain a level of Wizard, only have skills if their int score is higher than 0, and int doesn't alter any saving throw scores, likewise they are unaffected by mind affecting spells anyway, so they're never gonna get feebleminded of anything right?

Our Host!