Fruella?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wizgeorge, Feb 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

For the 6th time in a row when playing CG when I get the reward for rescuing the countess Fruella becomes a blue cirlce and can't participate any more. She still shows up on the players bar/portrait but not the initative combat bar. She still collects loot and xp but can't perform anything else. I spent a lot of time building her to a strong player, Lvl8, AC30, HP53, +2Longsword and I hate to lose her to a gamebug if it can be helped. Anyone with any ideas or suggestions,I 'd love to hear them. Aggrirvating to the max.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not sure if this would work, but you may want to try to kill her and then resurrect her, assuming she can still take damage. That solves problems associated with spell permanancy. One possible danger with that though is that she may become permanently hostile. Worth a shot though - save first.

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

fruella

I did kill her but raise dead won't work. I'm using patch2, Co8fix and Moebus.dll and everthing works fine, looting,etc. I've been playing this game since Oct. and I've figured most of the stuff out and all the "workarounds" but this one is really irritating. I've had her up to Lvl11, AC31, 122HP in NG and I think there is something about CG that is not co-operating. I've been to the Locked Level on numerous occasions with fair success so I know the game fairly well but I"m really bugged with this one.

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

So this happens right after you speak to the Elven Maiden?

Could you give us a bit more info - how many characters are in your party? Is Fruella the only NPC in it?

I suspect it might have to do with the function all_run_off(npc, pc) in the Elven Maiden's .py file:

Code:
    def all_run_off(npc, pc):
    	for obj in game.obj_list_vicinity(npc.location,OLC_NPC):
    		if (obj.leader_get() == OBJ_HANDLE_NULL):
    			obj.runoff(obj.location-3)
    	return

If I'm not mistaken, this function tells all NPCs in the vicinity to run off - despite the fact that some NPCs (like Fruella, in your case) are actually part of the player's party. That might explain the empty blue circle - Fruella is gone, but her party member slot hasn't been emptied properly.

Maybe editing string {21} in the file 00184elven maiden.dlg which calls this function might help ... i.e., deleting the "all_run_off(npc,pc)" part from "{21}{[exit]}{}{1}{}{0}{all_run_off(npc,pc)}".

I attached the modified .dlg. Put it in the data/dlg directory and tell us if that changes anything. Of course this won't fix the Fruella bug after it happened, but it might prevent her from disappearing in the first place!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
Our Host!