Friendly Fire

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Adoniis, Aug 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

Ok, I've played through (well, tried too) ToEE about 5 times now. Had to restart every time duo to issues. The one I find most common is the Friendly Fire bug. Let me tell ya it's freaking annoying.

No, I'm not getting "Butcher of Hommlet". Even though I'm NOT, whenever I ask an NPC to leave, they proceed in attacking me post haste. As you can immagine, this is very upsetting.

I'm not a "slaughter em all" kinda player, so having to kill my new wife, or my drunken buddy, or even the pirate dentist... well is just not my idea of a good time.

So that rant said, is there a way to fix this? I haven't seen a post made about this that addresses this issue, only the "Butcher of Hommlet" reputation fix, which this is NOT. Any ideas?

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Don't damage your NPCs while they are in your party? :p

3. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

But Fireball is like the most bestestest spell ever!

4. Cerulean the Blue

Yes, fireball is wonderful, but you should try to cast it so that none of your PCs or NPCs are in the blast radius.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think using cunning methods to nick their stuff will also have them attack u later.

6. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

Well that would be the ideal situation yes. Your taking my humor way to serious. Either way that doesn't help, or answer the question.

Accidents happen. A fireball spell on top of your allies happens, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by not paying close enough attention to the borders of the spell.

Having them attack you days, weeks, or even months after the fact just because you dismiss them, well is just plain stupid programming. If they were that pissed they would turn on you the second it happened, wouldn't you think?

My question is, can this be fixed, or is it one of those SOL issues thats just plain unfixable?

7. daetar

daetar Member

On topic: there may be a san_dismissed script that can be tweaked to change this? I can't delve into this right now. Tons of home responsibilities for the next week or so and I've already committed to writing a protos.tab merge tool so I'm swamped!

Off topic: I fireball at will. Of course, my fireballs are modded to web and do fire damage to enemies whilst healing any friendlies in the area of effect. If I'm gonna cheat, I'm gonna cheat BIG TIME! MUAHAHA!

~daetar

8. Cerulean the Blue

A fix to this could be put into the dismissal dialogue. Phalzyr has a make_like script in his dialogue/python thread that might fit the bill.

Our Host!