frequent CTDs when changing maps

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by younes, May 14, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Might want to check into this common issue before you start on the more adventurous measures.

2. younes

younes Member

Well, I just checked my sound/video drivers and they seem to be the most up-to-date availlable as of the current DitectX9 for WinXP SP2. I'll give it a try as soon as I'm done with work.

Thanks

3. younes

younes Member

Re: New modded intall - Procedure Compatibility Help

Ok, I'm redoing my install because I'm experiencing lots of catastrophic CTDs when I change maps.
    So, this is the install procedure that I intend to follow (merged from the stickied How to install post and updated with the new material available). Can any of the mega modders confirm the validity of the procedure?

To cleanup old ToEE modded install:

1. Add or Remove Programs > uninstall the Co8 5.0.0 MOD
    2. Add or Remove Programs > uninstall the Atari Temple of Elemental Evil
    3. Windows Explorer > delete the ToEE game folder, files and subfolders
    4. Empty the Recycle bin if used on your computer.
    5. Reboot the computer

To do a new install:

1. install fresh ToEE game (C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil)
    2. install patch1
    3. install patch2
    4. install CoE mod pack 5.0.0
    5. install ToEEFE 4.00
    6. lauch ToEEFEE, launch the Co8 5.0.0 mod through ToEEFE then exit
    7. lauch cumulative mods 5.0.3
    8. Install the extra-movies
    9. Install .dll fix

Also, to be precise do all files during install need to be lauched from/extracted to the main
    TOEE folder? (is this case C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil?)
    Finally, since I'm stalling ToEEFE 4.00 in step 5, do I need to launch the Co8 5.0.0 mod through ToEEFE in step 4 too? or just do it once after I install ToEEFE 4.00 over the version
    coded in CoE mod pack 5.0.0.

Thanks very much for the help!

-Younes

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm not the one to ask about cleaning up an old install, but . . .

yes (7 would be install, not launch)

extracted to, yes

no

yes

Good luck. :)

5. younes

younes Member

Well, I have redone my install and so far the game has not crashed yet, so so far so good!
    One difference in my current game is that I did not start putting location flags on the map (to remember who is where).
    I don't know if I read a thread on this forum or just hallucinating from my previous life in the Baldur's Gate community, but I seem to remember reading that adding flags can lead to game crashes....Is it true/ had shuch bug been observed/reproduceable?

Thank you so much guys for being so helpfull with my install/debugging and all! :notworthy

6. younes

younes Member

Dang! Still not working properly after a fresh new install.
    Still experiencing computer-shutdown crashes. If it is due to my current system unstability, I'm not able to identify the culprit.:no:
    I'll try to install the game on my other computer with a Win 2000 OS. Maybe I'll have some better luck. I don't have a network cart on that one so I won't be able to install the .Net software for the TOEEFE interface. I'll try the Co8 mod intall without TOEEFE.

thanks

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Download the pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) file for memtest86.

The file is named memtest86+-1.70.iso.zip.

Burn a CDR using "write disk from ISO file.." or similar named option in your CD writing software. When done, boot the computer using the newly made bootable CD disk you made and run the memory tests. This will tell you if your RAM in your computer has problems or not.

8. younes

younes Member

Do I burn the zipped or unzipped file?

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Unzip the file (extract the content of the zip file) to your hard disk. Selecting the "write disk from ISO image", you will need to point your CD writing software (browse to and select) to the ISO file you extract. Then, click the burn or write option.

10. younes

younes Member

AHA!
    The memory test application crashed when the verification was about 80% done (I have 1.24Gbit of memory). I will run the test again to see if the crash is reproduceable, but I have a strong feeling that we have identified the culprit of my frequent crashes...I guess that is a good excuse to get 2 new 1GBit sticks!:joy:
    I am a little puzzled though, because I regularly run some pretty memory intensive applications and games and I never experienced such fequent crashes before. Why would TOEE suddendly choke so frequently?
    Thanks for all the help kRUNCH!

-Younes

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

12. younes

younes Member

Yep, something is definitively fishy with the memory.
    I did run the memtest86 a second time: the check succeeded in the first pass, but crashed again during the second one, at pretty much the same stage where it crashed before.
    I'll give an update about TOEE stability once I get my new RAM sticks.

-Younes

13. younes

younes Member

To Krunch,

Thanks much for the memory advice. Got my new sticks yesterday and mem86 check passes perfectly.
    To my surprise, I still had random CTDs occuring while I was playing TOEE, but they also started to happen when I was playing other games (Doom 3, Undying...)!.
    So I thought about downloading a temperature sensing software and the result was a temperature ~ 88C with no load! That would explain the emergency CTDs!.
    One can of compressed air and a couple of dust clouds later, the temp went down to 58C!
    ....And now, the game runs beautifully!

Thank you all very much for the help and fast support!
    -Younes

Our Host!