Forum Etiquette

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Cujo, Nov 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

This is probably a waste of time as anyone who reads this will probably have figured all this out by themselves.

Spamming
    Spamming is making multiple unnecessary posts; this can be done by making the same post in multiple threads or by not editing previous posts if you’re going to post in a thread that you were that last person to post in have a point to the post – if its within 2 hrs most people won’t have read it yet and an edit will do, if it’s over 2 hrs an edit still might do, but you can get way with a new post – mainly if its big news (something the community will care about), or if it doesn’t DIRECTLY relate to your previous post.

These are things that a lot on newbies do that offend the elitist arseholes that hang around here all the time. Spamming doesn’t get faster results to your problems; in fact it can have the reverse effect and make the elitists who know the answers not want to reply to your question. Lastly there is the kind of spamming that will GET you banned, pointless off topic posts (for the whole board, even general discussion)
    On a side note if your question isn’t answered there are several reasons for this;
    1. No one knows the answer and instead of spamming the board to say they don’t know they use silence instead.
    2. No one (or the person who knows the answer) is online – this planet does have lots of time zones and we elitists do have lives.
    3. No one gives a shit – people are selfish and often don’t care about your HUGE problem as it doesn’t concern them

Research
    Co8 has been around for a long time, and there is a lot of info. One mistake newbies make is to post “silly†questions, ones that a simple search will find the solution to. Some of these threads have even been stickied e.g. “common problems and solutions†thread. Some of the threads are VERY old and out of date. A quick check of the last post in it will be able to tell you if it’s relevant (some of this seems like a damned if you do damned if you don’t).

Posting in the correct forum/thread
    Where you post your questions is a big part of forum etiquette. Some things would be best in new threads, for example start a “newbies questions†thread with all your questions in ONE easy to read post, while others should be posted in a (recent) relevant thread. Check to see if there is already a thread with questions similar to yours and if not then start a new one. One of my pet hates is newbies who claim to be long time lurkers, first time posters, but then post in the wrong thread or forum. If you’d been paying attention you’d be able to see where it all goes and where to post.

Bitchin
    Having a go at other people on the board isn’t good etiquette, but will sometimes happen, everyone has different opinions and viewpoints but these can be expressed in a non-aggressive manner. There is a difference between having a go, constructive criticism and being silly. If it looks like a couple of us elitist are having a go at each other it’s probably just us being silly (as a few of us do a lot <looks at Ted>). Don’t have a go a people who have been there longer than you. It’s a respect your elders thing – we may be wrong but who are you to tell us that (if you feel the need, do it politely).

Posting long posts
    It’s far easier to read text that has been broken up into paragraphs; I often don’t read big “blocks†of text that hasn’t been paragraphed because it’s hard to read.

But don’t be scared to join in. It’s about quality not quantity; you don’t have to get to 100 posts to be “one of the boysâ€. It’s contributing to the community that makes you an “elitistâ€. You don’t have to be a modder to contribute either; Lord Spike has been a great help but hasn’t modded a thing. Everyone is good at different things so use your skills and help out.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Excellent overview, Cujo. Perhaps this thread should be stickied?

I'll say. And you should have said "a damned thing" to be more confrontational. Not too sure about the "great help" part either. ;) btw, doing a quck search for "Gaear's mods" will show that I am talking out of my ass, which is an example of

I would also like to echo Cujo's caution about posting in old threads. It seems like common sense to me, yet many people do this for no particular good reason. A good rule of thumb would be that it's okay to post in an old stickied thread. But posting in a regular old long-dead thread is a bit like desecrating a grave. Typically the previous poster is someone who's been gone for a year and is not likely to pop back in to help you out. Why kick up that old dust?

Start a new thread. Join the in crowd. Be elite! :cool2: :yawn:

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Aww...Thanks Cujo.

:love:

I was, admittedly, worried about spamming this thread, though. And I doubt Ted will reply, now that you've cast a meaningful glance in his direction...be he King Spam or no.

Gaear...you have too 'modded'. I've seen you.

:poke:

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

O yeah, he zinged me... missed that on the first read through.

Posting on an old thread is like desecrating a grave? I would call it "evidence of using the search button" which is to be commended. Or is that recommended?

But then, I am trying to start a sh*t-fight, you bumbaclots have finally pushed me over the edge!!! :chairshot

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Where's the bit about no darned wishlists? Wishlists make me grouchy. I think we should have a wishlist part to the forum to dump all wishlists in so if people want to write them, they can, but we don't have to read them until we run out of implementing our own wishlists. Like a game without bugs. :pelvicthr:chairshot

Our Host!