Forge Ring Feat Won't Work

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sir Anrap, Feb 11, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Okay, after messing around a bit, here's what I've discovered.

I opened up the .mes file and swapped "flaming burst" with "shocking burst" in the list. The result was cold damage from the flaming burst weapon and fire damage from the shocking burst weapon. I was going to swap icy burst with unholy when I realized something: while it says it's doing "negative energy", it's doing 1d6 versus evil creatures, whereas if it were unholy it should only do 2d6 versus good. On top of that, my paladin isn't getting any negative levels, and anyway the DMG doesn't say unholy weapons do "negative" anything (except negative levels). They do 2d6 "additional" damage, which is why holy weapons are listed as whatever damage type the weapon is (slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing). So, it can't be that icy burst makes the weapon unholy. I leafed through the DMG and couldn't find anything about negative energy damage for weapons. Is it possible the effect was simply labelled wrong? I'll check this by giving somebody resistance to electricity and see what happens.

Also, another glitch in the game: according to the DMG, as I read it, a burst weapon does elemental damage as normal and then does ADDITIONAL burst damage on top of that when it scores a crit. In ToEE, it just does 1d6 OR 1d10 (2d10 for x3), which isn't all that much better (only worth it for x3 weapons). Another weird thing is the damage from flaming and flaming burst stack even when not critical, which they really shouldn't. The fire from the burst weapon is just because it functions as a flaming weapon, so making it a flaming weapon is redundant, it seems to me. Anyway, I'll get back about that electricity check.

2. Lord Plothos

None of the protection from energy spells helped against the icy burst's negative energy effect. Weird thing happened this time, though. I added flaming and shocking bursts after icy and they did nothing, even against a character with no equipment at all and no active spells. It was like they didn't exist! WTF!!!! :wtf:

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Aargh. It just won't work for me. My wizard has Forge Ring, I used the file you posted Allyx, but the Forge Ring option doesn't show up. Well, it seems to work for some of you, so there must be a solution ...

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I remember in good old and trusty 2nd edition there was negative energy, but that got dropped unless its like a cause light wounds effect. Try it against undead to see if it heals them?

5. Lord Plothos

Nope, they're hurt too.

6. Allyx

Thats an odd one then, shocking burst must be in there somewhere though surely,

Morpheus, I have to either play some more or cheat to test if forge rings works (I took craft staff at 12th level instead) I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I'll post back here when I find out more.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  7. Allyx

yeah, it seems to work just fine, but there were missing lines in data\mes\item_creation.mes lines 7 and 17, these are the titles for the forge ring menu. I've changed it and uploaded it here. Craft staff was also labeled as craft magic arms and armor so I changed that, Newly created Icy burst weapons should also now do cold damage, but shocking burst now does negative energy damage, this must be hardcoded or scripted incorrectly I can't find a way to change it.

Attached Files:

8. Morpheus

Doesn't change anything for me ... except that Craft Magic Arms & Armor is now labelled Craft Staff. Forge Ring still doesn't show up. Maybe I should try to reinstall the game and only apply Patch 2, not 3.

9. Allyx

patches

Ok so ive uninstalled and re-installed this game about 5 times in the last 2 days, trying to find out what combo's of patches works well and what doesn't. It seems you can install patch 1, 2, 3 and then the co8 patch, with the Livonya\Morpheus files and my fixes. I'm gonna e-mail my files to Morpheus just now.

10. Morpheus

I'm wondering: My wizard has taken every single crafting feat available, and then Forge Ring. Maybe there's a limit to how many crafting feats the game can display on the radial menu. Does your wizard have all the the feats as well, Allyx?

11. Allyx

yeah everything except specific magic arms and armor, but I don't know how to fix that.

Did you get my e-mail? It should have everything in it (except the robes of the archmagi which I havn't got working properly yet).

the moebius temple.dll file should enable the craft feats in the radial menu, install that or co8 patch last.

12. Morpheus

Alright, I just reinstalled ToEE, applied all the patches, started a new game, levelled up my wiz to level 12 using the console, and finally got the Craft Staff option. The strange thing is, the files I have installed now are exaxtly the same that I had already installed earlier. Oh, well. Wonders never cease.

Allyx: Got your e-mail, many thanks.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Question

Question: why are some of you using Atari patch 3? It only adds the looting fix, which moebius fixed too, so what's the advantage?

(Honest question, btw. ;) )

14. Allyx

I dunno realy, just thought it might be usefull. I like collecticting things, so I wanted to have the whole set!

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Personally I think it's a bad idea, as moebius coded his stuff for Atari 2. I believe zhuge has stated before that with moebius and atari 3 there are "no guarantees."

It might be wise to implement our own standard (a set configuration that everybody uses - at least everybody who's going to mod and/or test), being as we've got a lot of good new stuff coming down the pike!

Our Host!