Fixes for the the Inflict/Cure spells and the best that can be done for Flame Strike

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by LiquidDamage, Oct 24, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. LiquidDamage

LiquidDamage Member

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but your fixes for the Cure/Inflict spells and Flame Strike have bugs.

The Cure/Inflict spells functioned no differently than before, it just changed how it worked. Here is the old one:

dice = dice_new( "1d8" )
    dice.bonus = min( 5, spell.caster.stat_level_get( spell.caster_class ) )

Here is what the Co8 mod did:

dice = dice_new( str( game.random_range(1, 8) + min( 5, spell.caster.stat_level_get( spell.caster_class ) ) ) + 'd1' )

These both do the same thing, return a number between 1 and 8, plus spell.caster.stat_level_get( spell.caster_class ) .

I'm not sure what the hell that function call in bold returns, but every other spell that gets the caster level uses spell.caster_level to get the caster level. So I changed it to:

dice = dice_new( "1d8" )
    dice.bonus = min( 5, spell.caster_level )

and after casting about 20 cure light wounds, all numbers were between 6 and 13 for a 10th level caster.

Anyway, the attached file contains all the Cure/Inflict spells, fixed.

Also, your Flame Strike was pretty screwed up. It did leveld6 + (leveld6 / 2) damage, and twice that to trolls.

Herein lies the problem-- Troika must have tested the spell on trolls only, because their original version works exactly as it should against them (though it doesnt show the die rolls). However, the divine portion doesn't go off against anything else I've tested it on-- bandits, my characters, skeletons, and giant lizards. I thought it might be alignment based, since trolls are CE, but then so are bandits, so that's not it. So, I started messing with different damage types for that second set to see if it would make a difference.

I tried force and electricity, which made the damage happen for other targets, but for some reason that second portion did full damage to trolls regardless of whether they made their save or not.

As you know, non-fire or acid damage is converted into non-lethal damage for trolls. I think that, for some reason, this conversion is what is making these odd differences. Who knows why.

Anyway, the only way I currently see to make the spell do consistent damage is to make it do it all of one type. The damage type may not be by the rules, but I'd rather see it doing the right amount of damage than see it doing the right type and then doing too much or too little to some creatures. So, the version I have included deals only fire damage, and only 1d6 per level.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2003
Our Host!