Fill patterns, 2D - 3D items, etc.

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Spider Dwarf, May 14, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Somewhere, oh somwhere! on this list I saw a reference to a website where free fill patterns and object items and the like was shown. All I can remember is that the web site was something akin to Magan, Mayan, Maran, or somthing like that. Can someone please direct me to the proper thread?

I've spent the last hour or so scrolling through the threads to no avail. Thank you in advance.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

3. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Thanks Gaear. I don't like the limited stone fill patterns in Photoshop. The ones in CorelDraw are much, much better, but still did not have exactly what I was looking for.

Here is what I have so far (Rooms 11-15) and I'm working on the main temple today. I will let someone better able to do painting and the like add the "atmoshpere" to it. The reduced JPG below lost a lot of the vibrance of the PSD.

I would like you and ShiningTed's opinions of the PSD file. I made a 72ppi version to post online which can be found here (7.5MB) and comments would be appreciated. The master is 300ppi at 77MB. My plan is to finish the basic area as shown and turn it over to you or someone else more knowledgeable of the game to let them do the rest of the eye candy and make it useable in the game. If they want to try their hands at it.

Here is my workflow, and workflow is very important to me so I can keep things in a clear-cut linear fashion in my aged mind.
    1. Draw singular walls, doors, floors, etc. in CorelDraw X3.
    2. Export selected room / regions to EPS.
    3. Open EPS in Adobe Illustrator CS4, ungroup all, export to PSD.
    4. Open PSD in Photoshop and take all <path> and <group> items and combine them into a group by room. This keeps things editable to the maximum possibilities.
    5. In Photoshop add blending adjustments for atmospheric "eye-candy" enhancements.
    This might be a nice addition to the Co8 set of modules. I don't know where the Slavers series takes place in reference to the Temple and whether a new world map would be needed or not. If nothing else the way I have it set up the rooms in the PSD file can be used generically anywhere.

Any comments would be deeeeeply appreciated.:eyebrow:

Attached Files:

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Downloading now. A couple things:

1) Don't put doors on the map: doors are added by the engine (since they are objects that open / close). Just leave a gap.

2) Read this thread if you haven't:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5166

3) In all honesty, its unlikely anyone will just run with this: we don't have enough modders :( Sorry to say that, but its sadly true.

5. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Thanks for the reply ShiningTed.

I was wondering about the doors and had surmised that they were likely added by the game engine. For the none I will leave them in my design to "occupy" the space. It has to do with my workflow. However, they can easily be hidden in the PSD layers.

You do raise in an interesting question though. Your comment: Just leave a gap begs me to ask a question. At present the doors are a layer on top of a wall section. If you look at my PSD file you should see that a door and the corresponding wall show up two times. Once in the room you are leaving from and once for the room being entered. Again, it makes it easy to keep it straight in my mind and my workflow. In essence I have a group of layers for each room or hallway. It may not reflect this in the online file but my disk files are this way.

Here is my question. Should I select the door using my preferred tool (magic wand) and then delete that selected area on the wall? Then hide my door. I'm at a loss here and learning as I go along. Do I then save my different angle doors to be loaded somewhere else in the game as portals?

I had already read the thread you showed and was frustrated at the links that no longer work. Urgghhhh! And while I can appreciate what was shown, a lot of it is beyond my mind. Not the stuff done in Photoshop, just that my mind does not work like an artist but more akin to an architect. Odd but true! That's one of the reasons I'm good at creating books, a different mindset.

And if you know of a web site with some 3D items I could use in Photoshop CS4 please let me know. I've tried doing it from scratch and got lost. The orc statues in the long hallway should have been 3D so I could have a front and a back. Instead I found an online screen shot from some computer game and adapted it to work. For that matter I would like to see exactly how to create a bench or a wagon as a 3D item!

Yeah, I know what you mean about a dearth of modders. I saw that the moment I first found this site. But that does not mean I cannot try to change it. At least if I do this part perhaps someone will come along and "run with it." Once I get the two maps for A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity done, my plan is to make the master files (including the CorelDraw, Illustrator and Photoshop ones) available for safekeeping. If you or one of the other serious modders would accept the masters for possible later use, I will be satisfied. At least the layout will be complete and they can change the "paint" on each item to suit there style or styles.

Below is where I am at present. I am just now working on the third section. I think after I am done I will rotate the whole image counter-clockwise some 50º or so. I'll leave it to others to make the floors and whatnot look "grungy."

Thank you goes to you and Geaer for all that you do.

Attached Files:

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've got to say, the PSD download I got only showed one layer :(

Otherwise just delete the doors, and leave the holes.

7. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Ahh, but then where would the fun be! Never knowing what kind of Internet access someone has I try to limit the file sizes. That is why you had a flattended file. Myself, I often move around 1 gigabyte files to the Internet so I really appreciate fast access. Until recently I had the old two cans and a string Internet access—and a broken string at that.

But since you commented on the flattended file <g> here are two files shown in all their glory. The first is a Photoshop CS4 PSD file and the second is a more generic TIF file. It is a roughly 40 megabyte difference. If your copy of Photoshop has a problem with the PSD then open the other file. Please be aware, the first file is about 134MB or so and the other about 94MB or so. I warned you. Click here and here. The second file takes me, roughly, 3½ minutes to download.

Your and Gaear's comments and suggestions would be appreciated. I do believe that once completed I will rotate the file counter-clockwise. I don't want to do it now because it might mess up the workflow. In case you are interested the images are drawn to a real world scale of 1 inch equals 50 feet. That is why I do the basic layout in CorelDraw and not Illustrator. The first has real world scaling while the second does not. Try platting a deed in Illustrator or Photoshop!

And in case you are interested I actually have it broken out into two sections for ease of workflow. The files above are composites of the two areas.

Our Host!