File transfers and other things.

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by wizgeorge, Jul 9, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

There are a lot of files in Toee and they change everytime there's a new mod. I've been saving everything toee in MyDocuments for over 4 years and it comes in handy. For those into personal modding of your games, there's a lot you can do. A lot of the files can be edited with notepad, protoed, etc. So, instead of waiting for the next mod release, that may or may not fix things, you may be able to correct them yourself. Some things to do:
    1. Download Zane's toee extract and extract the toee.dat files toee.dat1-4 and save in MyDocuments.
    2. Build a collection of files, dlg, protos, players, temple.dll, etc. Save protos and Temple.dll to an external source.
    3. Download all toffe-tfx mods and save to MyDocuments. Eventually you'll have every toee file for the last 4 years on file.
    Case in point: The dlg file for Jayfie is broken in 5.5.0. By transfering the original from Toee4.dat you can replace the broken file with the original. Extract a zip or copy/paste, whatever is easiest. A whole lot files can be edited and copied, cut/pasted,etc. Also, download ShiningTed's tutorials.

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Some things to consider and be aware of:
    1.A lot of files have been previously modified and any changes may conflict and cause problems. Elmo and Meleny's dlg files are a classic example.
    2.Things for quests, reputations, etc should be left alone.
    3.Avoid console use as much as possible. A lot of things can be done without using the console.
    4.For protos editing do not delete an item and leave it blank. If you want to change Fruella's hair from red to blonde,fine. Just don't leave a line blank if there was an entry there. Do not change any sans_ lines unless you know exactly what you're doing.
    4. For major changes and info, consult WorldBuilder. Yes, Fruella can be invincable. There is an invincable code, but use at your own risk. It may not be there anymore. Can't confirm it will work, but the one time i used it she never got hit.
    5. I know how to cheat. Need help or info, post here and i'll help all I can.

3. MB

MB Member

Wizgeorge,

Thanks for your efforts. It's nice to have fixes in the interim until the next big release.

MB

Our Host!