Feedback/ Issues with V1.0.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by talavandrell, Oct 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. seamusmc

seamusmc Member

Brothel

Just a suggestion, but please pull the brothel support or make it optional.

It obviously wasn't finished. Once Troika decided to pull the brothel they didn't bother completing it and it just exposes a new bugged quest. Its obvious that the intention was that different hookers would provide different services if you payed the mistress for such services and possibly lead to some humorous plot lines and possible quests.

Making it available in the game more simply introduces more issues while adding little or no value to the game experience.

BTW, according to an interview with Tim Cain the brothel was pulled by Ataria in order to make the Teen rating. Real disappointing this was done, but consider that in its current state it adds very little value to the game.

2. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

My brothel fix solves the orb/intimidate mickey problem. If a party member gets stuck just simply walk into the building next to you or leave him behind until you enter somewhere else. You can have them miles apart and stil enter builinds and they'll teleport to the rest.

3. seamusmc

seamusmc Member

LOL, I'm not interested in getting patches for a patch. Going down that road leads to endless frustration and, well, patching. A bug is a bug please don't try to justify supporting new buggy content with work arounds. Thanks for the advice though.

This thread is for feedback on the v1 patch. My feedback is that the brothel is buggy and unfinished. At the very least make it optional.

I don't understand the problem with making it optional is. It is a known source of issues and bugs, it is also pretty clear it was never finished. I am happy for the people who enjoy the half-assed production of the brothel, but don't force the rest of us to have to deal with the additional issues, bugs and general lack of quality the brothel brings to the game.

4. Phalzyr

It is optional: try this never go into the brothel :) Yes it'd be a nice option though, and btw I'm not actually part of the Co8 so I'm not supporting the buggy content just providin a solutions for it when possible :D

5. Phalzyr

Re: Mona doesn't take orb

Actually I found something pertaining to this and have a question for you. Did you happen to help/talk to grud? And either tell her about him or she say any freind of grud is a freind of....? I noticed that she uses a global variable for both the orb quest and grub(Co8 didn't add that quest ability did they? Sorry i never saw the dude or noticed at least.)

if your willing to take a gander and the above fits your problem try this file in the data/scr/ directory http://www.kasec.org/toee/py00213mona.py and let me know if it fixes the problem :)

If grud is outside the brothel(i didn't see himinside it) then it isn't a problem caused by the patch but an existing one.

edit :eek: opps I had != qs_mentioned instead of != qs_accepted should work now so if you dloaded before this edit reload the py file :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  6. seamusmc

seamusmc Member

Yeah this works, unfortunately its too late. People new to the game will probably figure it out as I did, after being frustrated and blaming Troika or Atari. People are already blaming bugs on Atari or Troika that are a result of this patch.

If I may suggest. The BG community did a great job separating bug fixes to the BG games from additional content. I think its a very good practice to keep bug fixes completely separate from additional content and the two should not go together. Even with this separation there was still a great deal of granularity available in choosing what content and what fixes went in during installation of a patch or a mod.

7. Phalzyr

I believe that is what they are striving for in next release. Making it have options and such, they just wanted to get out the fixes as fast as possible and had a lot of forum crashing that made it kinda jumbled. :D hopefully you'll like the next release better.

8. Jernath

Jernath Member

seamusmc,

If you do not like the patch/mod Please do not use it. You want "options" you have one.

BTW, I along with many others are trying to give detailed feedback to the team working on this patch. We hope that game mechanical issues that are present from both Troika and from the patch can be resolved by such feedback. We are not trying to railroad important threads with rants, and comparisons to other ambiguous "modders". Said, "modders" having never faced the technical challenges of a very incomplete game as the foundation of their work, should hardly be compared in the same vain.

This game is an important step toward a real D&D turn based CRPG system. Atari lacks the vision and desire to allow this game to live to it's full potential. I wish the modders well in their efforts thus far, and in continued efforts to enhance and ultimatly fix the existing game. With that accomplished I would love to see what new content can be given out to the eager CRPG community.

Now on to real issues with the patch and the game, I have made some post concerning Masterwork and Magical armor and how it has a incorrect attribute for dealing with Armor Check penalties. Can anyone update us on this issue? Has it been looked at and can the "materwork" attribute that gives a -1 to skill check each time it is applied be changed to a +1?

Thanks

Jernath

9. jsnider193

jsnider193 Member

CTD

This may be design issue .. but when try to craft items (master mace/morning star or bastard sword) after making a cloak (wonderous items? or whatever) get repeat CTD. Now it may be cause not supposed to do back to back without waiting but strange interrupt handling that does a CTD if true. Prior to this had successfully crafted a master longsword ... (couple game days prior).

So either the game can not handle crafting in manner indicated above or unable to deal with the 2 items i tried /// will wait a day and try to craft them again and see what happens. If known issue then sorry for input.

jms

10. Spats

Spats Member

Masterwork Light Crossbow

Just another bug I found. Small characters (halflings, gnomes) can equip a light crossbow as a two-handed ranged weapon. They can't equip the masterwork crossbow you buy from the smith in Hommlet - it says that the weapon is too large to equip.

I'm guessing that the light crossbow is listed as a medium-size weapon, while the masterwork light crossbow is listed as large. Can this be fixed?

11. Commoner

Commoner Member

Grud, Mona, and the orb

Great work on the mod, guys!

I'm not the one who originally posted with this issue but I just ran into it too. Indeed, I had not talked to her before finishing the Grud quest, and her first dialogue to me mentioned "any friend of Grud..." You can then go on to get the orb quest from her, but when you come back with the orb, the only dialogue options you get are "what's that building behind you?" and "never mind"... After "what's that building behind you?", you can pick the choice to not enter the brothel and talk about something else, but you're back to the original dialogue choices. No way to give her the orb.

Anyhow, I'll drop your fix in and get back to you...

[edit] Yep, it seems to have done the trick! Orb returned and everything! Good job, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  12. Commoner

Commoner Member

Re: Masterwork Light Crossbow

Maybe this is a dumb question, but did you actually try to equip it or did you give up when you saw the "too large to equip" warning?

I ask because I noticed that the gnome thief NPC you meet in the temple (forgot his name), when you finally give him back his special personal crossbow, the "too large to equip" warning showed up for that item. But I could get him to equip it anyhow despite the warning.

13. MichiK

MichiK Member

Re: Re: Mona doesn't take orb

Ok, will DL it tonight and have a look.

Is there something special i need to do to 'reload' the py file, or just dropping in the right dir and restarting the game enough?

Michael

14. Phalzyr

Just drop it in the data/scr/ directory is all :) you do have to be out of game and get back in for it to reload it :) that is all.

Commoner: Glad it fixed. If I had known there was only two options shown(many are possible at that point) I'd of just added it to the dialog file instead(It'd be cleaner that way). But only one line was free and many choice could show up and since there is a 5 choice showing at once limit I thought I'd just have it go to the other dialog starting point. Thanks for the reply, and now I remember where grud was I know this was an existing issue that would of happened without the patch.

15. Phalzyr

Re: Re: Re: Mona doesn't take orb

Is it possible for one of you to dload this and see if it fixes the issue, If you already put the py file in the scr directory delete/move/rename it :) this includes the dialog change instead I'm 90% sure it'd work but would like confirmation and I can't play toee here. I can always test it when I get home. Note that if you didn't install fan fixes this adds in the brothel(I'm sure you have fan fix installed though :) ) thanks again.

http://www.kasec.org/toee/brothel.zip

Our Host!