Fallout, Facebook, and the Evils of Social Media

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocktoy, Sep 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lava

Lava Established Member

It depends a lot on how many of the people love their authoritarian punk, and will never, ever stop fighting a guerrilla war for him. I haven't heard of a never-ending insurgent underground movement, endlessly setting off explosives for their martyr, Hitler. Good thing, too.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

The first patent for RADAR was a German fellow before WWI. Radar was under development by several countries during peace before WWII. I'd never heard of the death ray thing, except that I immediately thought of the American research that lead to the microwave oven, and later, cell phones.

The main thing I think that has gotten a boost from war has been the field of emergency medicine.

The internet was developed during peace time, apparently by uh...that boring Global Warming guy...you know his name!

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not just developed - invented! ;)

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

What became the internet was developed for the military on government contract. UCLA was a prime contractor and once the government agents where statisfied some of the data could be released. The military version with the satelites and 128bit encryption is a lot more envolved. Works good.

5. Lava

Lava Established Member

Gaear, I'm looking for the Like button now.

6. GuardianAngel82

When I was in college, the "internet" was called variously: DARPANET, ARPANET and mainly just the Net. It stood for (I think) Department of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency net and was supposed to be used for transferring data files between government agencies and universities, but was mainly used to send dirty pictures over the teletype. I still have some printouts, but they are still classified, so I can't show you.

7. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Communists are not "hypocritical, lying, stealing, murdering scumbags", at least no more than any other human beings.

Too slow to kick the crap of stable authoritarian garbage governments and to install unstable puppet authoritarian garbage governments?

Are not you calling your country's ally one of the "two most murderous pieces of shit in WWII"? Had a bad day yesterday, GA ?

Do you mean "dirty ASCII-art pictures" ?

8. GuardianAngel82

Most of the human beings that entered his store, even during the regime of the preceding unstable puppet government, didn't point guns at him and his family, declare him a traitor to the the people, send him and his family to the countryside to be "re-educated" and confiscate his life's work for the use of some incompetent Party official.

Yes, essentially a regime change, as in Iraq. We get rid of an odious, murderous pig and replace him with a less murderous group of elected pigs, who must now spend their energy staying in power (unstable, as you said) instead of invading other countries and developing weapons of mass destruction.
    Yes. An ally we were very fortunate to have in that war. But one who killed more of his own people than our enemy in that war and who chose to occupy Eastern Europe, enemies and allies, until the peoples of those countries were allowed to choose their own (100% non-communist).

The problem we have with Communists is that they (correctly) think that their regimes are in danger as long as prosperous capitalist countries still exist.

Yes. I WAS having a bad day. But, as I said, my post was a troll post: intended to stir up controversy and trouble (it succeeded) as was Rocktoy's.

WHAT? Those are CLASSIFIED! The Russian have stolen our secrets AGAIN!

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's good to know that the internet was fulfilling its sacred purpose from the outset, granting mankind the ability to more readily view pictures of naked women. It would be a drag to think that it had been corrupt in the beginning.

10. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

That is incorrect. War losses of the Soviet Union (both combatants and civilians) are estimated at 27 millions, and highest estimation of the number of "Evil Communist Regime" "victims" is 1 million (for all its length), and even that number does not have solid proof (Civil war started at 1917 excluded though).

Furthermore, it is unclear, how many of the "proofed" "victims" of the "Evil Communist Regime" were indeed victims and how many were criminals.

As for the occupation, well, I do not think it was occupation, I think at that time people of Eastern Europe chose that way. And later they chose another way. This just proves "communist regime" DID give people an opportunity to choose, unlike the "thriving capitalism". Not that giving people this opportunity is always good.

And indeed, communist countries are not safe when there are capitalist countries in the world, for no country is safe when there are capitalist countries in the world, especially thriving ones.

And this is opposed to the nature of communist countries, for when their number grows, amount of safety increases, and when their number diminishes, so does global safety. =P

11. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

All hail Tim Berners-Lee, invented the the web and gave it away for free.

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

Wow, GA, I thought you LIKED Sergio??

Just kidding both of you. I know it was a troll-post.

You are both right, of course, as the wide variety of humanity and all of it's complexities can support multiple correct theologies and philosophies.

That being said, for such an anti-violence person that surely was a pretty violent post, GA, and Sergio, I love Russia and the idea of Communism is great (too bad humans could never really make it work) but your response post sounded a lot like the Germans denying the Holocaust. Now you aren't saying that THAT little travesty didn't happen either, are you?

Lovingly,

Trollbait.

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I could of swore I saw great big honk'n walls surrounding the eastern part of Germany when I was there, (before we tore it down), I would think the word "choose" might not be the correct choice when you have such a barricade in place to stop folks from leaving. ;)

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

The first day it was "official" and the wall was finalized, an East German guard immediately became the first person to defect or escape,a dn he was shot at.

I don't see people getting shot at in democratic or capitalistic societies, and very, very few ever even want to leave. You always hear the opposite.

Things that make you go hmmm....

15. GuardianAngel82

The generally accepted number of government-caused deaths in the Soviet Union AFTER the Civil War and BEFORE World War II is 20 million. Only part of these were from the purge of the military. Hitler killed (only) 12 million. The only regime to equal this number was Mao in Communist China, pretty much using similar methods. NONE of these numbers are war dead.

The United States is guilty of a similar crime against the native populations in the 19th century. The numbers are smaller, but the percents of the populations devastated were much higher. I don't see our government being any more forthcoming about this than the Russians are about Stalin.

Sergi, I wouldn't accept my numbers either. Seek out other (non-Russian) sources and form your own opinion. Stalin does have some heroic qualities, but he killed more people in that part of the world than even the Mongols.

Our Host!