Fallout, Facebook, and the Evils of Social Media

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocktoy, Sep 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Privacy's already gone, for all practical purposes. What we have now are the trappings of privacy - e.g. your ID number (SSN or whatever) is supposedly hidden in a secret vault somehwere, but actually a lot of people and organizations already know it and others can get access to it if they want to. A cursory search of your name on WhitePages will show your home address, phone number, and even sometimes date of birth even if you never released that information or granted permission for it to be consumed publicly. Your internet activity can be tracked. Your mobile phone is most likely telling anyone who's interested where you are at any given moment. Etc.

So go ahead and Facebook yourself into oblivion - the world doesn't care! (And if you resist, the body snatchers will know.) ;)

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Re: Your Favorite ToEE Quest/Plotline/Scenario/Battle

Emails and sms/txt messages aren't safe, I was a juror for a trial of an armed robbery, and the police apart from having tapped the accused phones also intercepted all the txt messages and everything else.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I'm guessing the cartoon came first, and that "rat god" is definitely from FO2. He isn't, however, a cool gentleman and doesn't speak Shakespearian English.

Fan patches definitely recommended (Killap, I think, was the author of both FO and FO2 ones). IIRC, they also make the game playable on the newer computers. Links: http://nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=12 and http://nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=16 . Vanilla games patched with official and unofficial patches worked just fine on my Win7 64-bit laptop. You might want to double-check GOG version compatibility though.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I know for sure the GOG version of Fallout 2 has a few of the fan patches and extra areas included, as for Fallout 1 I can't say.

And I'm running them on my Win7 64 bit with just what GOG gives you and they seem to be working swimmingly. ;)

5. kio11

kio11 Established Member

in case that my opinion counts, i have found the rat in the mod pretty original and hilarious, mildly dissapointing given the fact that there wasnt more of it. plus its not enough to play fallout games, you must play both, play fallout: tactics and its solid mod fallout: awaken. and get real: people volunteered to share their information on the internet by the time facebook arose. you have no idea how much people are willing to share when they feel lonely, even if they look not so. for me its like swimming in a small beach with hundreds of people in the muddy water. its not like there arent hundreds of other places to go, theyre just there altogether, sharing humanities.

6. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

I disagree. True, there are some things, like ID number, which safeness is not in one’s own hands to ensure, but most things are. Do not give any information (/decline the use of your info or give disinformation to “update” your already existing info) to WhitePages, do not use credit card, purchase your phone and service separately (prefer prepaid anonymous service), use an older phone (like my Nokia 6070) which has no inbuilt gps, (I won’t even go to the lengths what you can do to hide your computer) etc. In the end mostly the depth of your privacy is really up to you.

I thought that resistance was futile, because we all will be assimilated… No matter: I will do my best and keep fighting for Le Resistance as long as I breathe (or am not assimilated).

I meant that txt and email messages are difficult to eavesdrop; first you have to catch the signal/data pack and then crack the encryption, which with sms-messages is next to impossible I was told. FB is there for all to read…

Of course you can get the info you mentioned via the ISP or Phone Company but that usually requires a court order and a lot of time. Even if the authorities (or whoever you are afraid of) are granted with access to the records of those companies, all you need to do is make sure no-one knows who owns the phone/sim-card or the e-mail account.

With phones it is easy. Buy, or better steal, a secondhand older phone (like my Nokia 6070) which has no sim lock, no inbuilt gps and has the option of manually turn on caller id withhold, and if you choose to buy it do not use credit card but cash and if done in person, use false name etc. That way the phone itself is not traceable.

Getting a non-traceable phone connection/service/sim-card: buy one from a vending machine (possible at least in Finland, and mine worked well in US, Canada and 20 European countries). If you are afraid of CCTV, just walk to the machine from at least couple of miles during dark hours. Use clothes that are very common and try to disguise you to resemble the opposite sex and preferably another (human) race. Use only coins that you have boiled in water for at least 60 min and which you have touched thereafter only with similarly treated tweezers and/or latex/surgical gloves (available in your nearest pharmacy).

If you sink even deeper in paranoia: in order to use your phone drive to rural areas where there are only one or few service masts that cover hundreds/thousands of acres, that way THEY cannot pin point your location from the phone signal. Even better, use your phone (turn it on) only in such locations, in random times and never in the same location twice. Use only sms (no voice id and sms are not time related, you only have to check them once or twice a week) do not use any names, only nicknames, etc.

E-mails are even easier. Use a free e-mail account like yahoo, which you opened and used/use only with an anonymous computer. Those can be easily found from libraries and cafeterias. If you are afraid of CCTV read the earlier, plus use gloves (which you should do just for hygiene’s sake) and never use the same computer again.

As I said, privacy you enjoy depends on the effort you are willing to do for it. And you can always have you “legit” phone and computer on the side too, which you use only in mundane things…

(“Me paranoid? No way! If you say so: you must be one of THEM and there to catch me…”)
    (“Even if I am paranoid, it doesn’t mean that there isn’t someone following me”)

Amen brother. It is a choice. But is it a good choice? Long live the Revolu… ahem Parano… ahem Freedo… well Privacy!!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. sirchet

Heh heh, my life is an open book.

Even if someone did get one of my credit card numbers and attempted to make a purchase my bank would flag it as "unusual" and contact me, (as they have actually done on a legitimate purchase that was more expensive than I usually spend) and then if I choose to stop the transaction it stops. If a transaction goes unnoticed I can always dispute it and the bank withholds payment until it is resolved.

If someone wants to know where I live, work, or play ... more power to them. I could always use another friend.

8. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

That is the problem with yanks. They do not know what fear is, apart from the American Japanese population who were put on concentration camps during the second world blaze. Yanks just cannot comprehend the concept that after some ill-advised words you spoke, there will be a knock on your door and puff: no more you, only ashes. Luck and ignorance walk in hand to hand…

edit: the Bush regime thought you all that, not like you paid any attention.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  9. sirchet

No, I really don't have such a simplified understanding of a good threat assessment when considering my lifestyle and the, as you may say, lack of preventive measures I take to support it.

9-11 gave most of us "Yanks" cause to be a little more focused on the true threats and inherent dangers that come with being a citizen of a country that the average working class person has a higher standard of living than many other countries.

Other countries love to hate us "Yanks", but when the trouble starts who's the first one to show up and give a hand with setting things right?

Which country spends as much helping other countries?

I am aware folks do not like us "Yanks" and that's OK, I'm still proud to be one and I doubt that will ever change.

btw, if someone can make it to my door before my alarm, surveillance, or my very large dog lets me know then they must be some type of super ninja and I never had a chance to start with. :wyatt:

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's a popular notion, but it's not really true unless you're going to go all out and disppear from the world by living in the wilderness or something. In the modern world, everybody leaves a footprint. Student loans, credit cards (I don't know any adult who's never had at least one), magazine subscriptions, etc., etc., etc. All these things pile up to comprise your 'profile,' which various information brokerages (credit bureaus and so on) work very hard to maintain. Trust me, I work in the industry. There are no unknowns out there, and for every avenue you attempt to cut off, there are five more that you didn't think of.

If you've got a plan, you're screwed. The only failsafes atm are the so called 'trac phones,' for the reasons you mention. And that's just for mobile phones.

Such as browsing the internet or calling your grandmother? If you've got a phone plan, you're known. If you've got internet service at home, you're known. And I don't think anyone's really talking about covering up criminal activity here ... they're talking about privacy. Anything you do to identify yourself, such has having a mundane tasks phone with service provided by a mainstream carrier, compromises that.

And even if you do all the things you mentioned, there's still all the other stuff you forgot, and the stuff that's already there from before you decided to go all cloak and dagger. Like the fact that your mother listed you as a beneficiary on her life insurance 20 years ago, or that time you went to urgent care for a stubbed toe and filed an insurance claim and paid the deductable with a credit card, or that time you were written a ticket for five over in a 35, or that time you listed your home address and SSN to open an account with your bank, and ... on and on.

This is the information age, and there's really no escaping it. If you tell yourself that walking ten miles to a vending machine while wearing latex gloves is protecting you, the only one you're really fooling is yourself. :shrug: Maybe no one will know it was you who bought that sim card at 2:00 a.m., but they still know your social security number.

11. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

This is all well and good, guys and gals, (hey, where is my SCRYLER poster by the way),
    but my privacy is in my thoughts, and there was no any other privacy ever. Because only what you think can be yours, and you are free not to share it (most of the time, torture chamber hours excluded.)

So just watch what you say and to whom, and you will have your privacy. But if you said something, know, that what two beings know is not a secret anymore.

EXAMPLE: Happy Birthday to Our Dear President of Russian Federation!

P.S. Somehow, in Russia, all personal information EVER disclosed to ANY agency or enterprise is available to ANYONE really interested.

12. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Rocktoy, you ignorant slut.

This country is MADE UP of peoples whose families are here because they were in countries where you could die or disappear at the whim of some worthless piece of garbage.

My surname family were minor Scottish nobility from near Glasgow who were accused of treason against some foreign "Lord Protector", convicted, stripped of our lands and exiled to a place in Ireland where the original population was already conveniently dead. By the time that punk was dead, and we were "forgiven" of our "sins", we had moved to America.

That was ten generations ago, but I used to date a girl who's family escaped from another bunch of thugs when she was 2 years old. She used to roll her eyes when her dad and I would talk about what hypocritical, lying, stealing, murdering scumbags the Communists were.

The problem with us Yanks is that we are TOO SLOW to kick the crap out of authoritarian garbage because we listen to insignificant stand-for-nothing countries that fought for BOTH of the most murderous pieces of shit in WWII.

The point to Freedom of Speech is that anyone can say anything they want (responsibly) without fear of death or imprisonment. Uh...and that includes you. ;)

13. sirchet

Thank you GA82.

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

(Actually, I think the Suomi are okay. They kicked the crap of the Soviets before WWII, before being overwhelmed, and then fought their former allies, the Nazis, during the war. But what I said made a better (unfair, but accurate) troll post. ;))

Just think, if the French had had the balls to enforce the terms of the Treaty of Versailles, they could knocked Hitler over with just a division in the middle '30's. MILLIONS of people would have lived. But, bitch-slapping authoritarian punks just for breathing is STILL unfashionable. :roll:

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

but if that had happened, would we even be able to have this conversation, think of all the advances in technology we've had as a result of WWII and the cold war. Why make an internet if there's no threat of your central command getting taken out by a nuke. Sure some of our current tech would've been developed anyway, but things like radar which was the british's attempt to make a death ray but when it didn't work like that they found another use, now it has so many civilian uses.

Our Host!