Fallen Paladins

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Fireworm, May 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Well, you can only script so many actions for a paladin to do for him to fall in a computer game.

The hypocracy is mainly in the table top game... you are expected to slaughter defensless children, its honorable to toss a sword to a scholar who never held one before and slaughter him as he feebly attempts to defend himself, but dishonerable to use poison or bows or the like... The paladin code is convulted and illigical.

But then again, thats from a game where druids the servants of nature strive for BALANCE at all things and do so by sending ANIMALS to fight their battles.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hmmm...

Engaging in conduct that is disorderly in a public place is not lawful. Your character is getting publicly involved in a commotion in what amounts to a hotel restaurant. Paladins aren't supposed to do that. It brings discredit to their lawful good patrons. Now at the Waterside Hostel or the Boatman's Tavern, boozing and brawling are more accepted. These establishments are in the evil village of Nulb, and are run by chaotic evil river pirates. If your Paladin doesn't scoff at their behavior and act in a righteous manner (i.e., convert or kill the bastards), he ought to fall.

The modern parallel is law enforcement officers. Can they drink? Sure. Are they going to booze it up at the local pool hall? Sometimes. Are they headed for trouble if their behavior brings discredit to the PD? You betcha. Will they be cops for long if they are keep it up? Hopefully not. It's the whole higher standard thing. Except they don't go around trying to convert people...

As for what you said, it depends on the standards and practices of the locality where the rowdiness is occurring, and whether or not the locals approve of the individuals behavior. But a Paladin is bound by covenants regardless of where he/she is, and must abide by the tenets of their faith or face being cut off from their deity.

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

What? Neither of these are Paladin-like behaviors.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Neither are these.

(j/k, tal. ;) )

5. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

C'mon: it is almost impossible to understand the real intent of a player when using a paladin. There are too many free interpretations of the game, so that it would be impossible to decide whenever or not a palading should become fallen. Anyway, about hypocracy and co-related arguments: D&D is a game and of course it is clear that it must follow rules. There is absolute evil like devils and demons or some or the worst demi-humans, orcs, dragons and stuff that only blame for total destruction and that are pursuing evil by their will, and no doubt about the fact that they are something that's evil and that is universally recognized like that. Instead there are some harder situations were good and evil are extremely subjective. What a chattolic and an islamic paladins that fight each other? Effectively they both belive that they are following good but they belive that their opponent is evil, as wella ch.good and a law.good characters follow good in different ways and sometimes they may have to fight each other. It is up to the DM to deal with those situations and it is an hard task. If the DM can't, then there are the standard rules that already tell what's evil and what's not.
    And I don't see what's bad if a druid summons an animal to fight his battle.
    Neutral evil druids will not care about the animals that they are gonna to summon, neutral good druids will fight because they think that the world is too evil and good must be an active force, so that they are fighting for a greater wealth. Generally a druid made a pact with nature: "you give me powers to survive and I will use those powers to defend you". So I really see nothing bad in it, especially if you see it together with the druid's allignment.

6. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

how do you atone in the game? i have been trying to figure it out all day...

7. alphaks

alphaks Member

Go see Terjon he will be able to help you,for a price.

8. whatsername74

I did that, and there never was such a dialog option. The only reason I think my paladin is fallen is because one of my party members engaged in the fight with Tolub, and now he can't level up as a paladin. Is there something in the interface that would tell me he's fallen?

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

boy its been a long time since i had this problem. i dont remember if it tells you out right or not but if you were high enough you will lose your spells as well as lay on hands and all paladin skills. so you can look at your characters skill list and see if they are still there.

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The paladin will have a device on their portrait resembling a sort of cross in one of the bottom corners if they have become fallen. Terjon (at the Curch of St.Cuthbert) usually grants atonement when sought. I'm not sure if the console will fix this or not if Terjon has no options to help out.

Edit: Check post #22 in this thread to see more. Is the paladin over L-10? Could be the problem:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=36774#post36774

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  11. whatsername74

Hmm... They must not be fallen then.

It's a multiclass character(2nd lvl Fighter/1st lvl Paladin) and I was going to level him up another level of Paladin. Is therea rule that I am overlooking that is the reason?

12. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Well, if you advance as a class other than paladin with your paladin, you cannot advance as a paladin again.

If you took the 2 levels of fighter first, and then a level of paladin, you should still be able to advance as a paladin. But you were a paladin already when you took the fighter levels, you're essentially abandoning the pursuit of paladin-hood. You don't lose any paladin abilities, but you can never increase them again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  13. whatsername74

Ohhhhh...Okay then.
    thanks

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

how do you say...

D'oh!

15. whatsername74

:sweatdrop

Thanks, man. Way to make feel STUPID.

:biggergri

Seriously I had no idea about that rule, but it makes alot of sense. And I must've heard it somehere...

Our Host!