Equipping Characters?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pelonius, Aug 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Once again I have to make a reference to my modding bible (Arcanum and Arcanum Worlded) here ;)
    A Shopmap (as an actual map) comes back from Arcanum, where it was used for initial shopping. In fact, in Arcanum it was never loaded as an actual 'map', the shopping screen simply showed up when you started the game, with items from the Shopmap shopkeeper (so, I'd expect that only MOB files were ever parsed, but they *were* parsed as real on-map MOBs, so they needed a shopkeeper and a substitute inventory container anyway). I'll take an educated guess here: since the engine of ToEE *is*, in fact, a modded version of the Arcanum engine, the initial Shopmap idea came straight from there. Then, it was kind of forgotten, and afterwards was possibly used for something else (maybe for those gargoyles and stuff... I'm not really sure about it though). The truth is - the official Worlded, at least for Arcanum, automatically creates a shopmap for a module, no matter whethet it actually uses it or not. Possibly it was simply a leftover in ToEE Worlded as well (which we don't know for sure, but, as I said, it's an educated guess). I can reinforce my idea with the fact that in ToEE3.dat we can see the so-called "module template", which refers to an initial module information that should be created by the Worlded whenever a new module is created. As you can see, it contains the "maps/Shopmap" folder, which is, in fact, our "Mr.Mystery" the Shopmap. :)

Hope this clears things up a little.
    P.S. Sometimes it simply amazes me how you can dig up facts from the game history using references to Arcanum. I'm even thinking about creating a new thread to put all such stuff into (I have soooo many facts and references, but they are unsorted and unclassified, but some of them are very interesting and, in fact, even funny).

- Agetian

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

If the holy grail of ToEE modding is the source code, I gotta wonder if Arcanum could lead us there. Has the Arcanum source code ever been revealed or discovered? How close did Arcanum modders ever get to this? Would it matter or not if they had been successful?

3. Agetian

As far as I understand, Arcanum source code (or its parts) were never publicly released. Some modders, both Arcanum and ToEE (I have proof of that, since I was among the "ToEE" part of it :) ), tried to request the public release of Arcanum source code (and possibly Arcanum Worlded source code as well), but got a negative response from members of Troika. All we are left with is using a debugger to see how things work, which is hard, but doable. Our main problem at the moment is that we need more people that are well-versed in programming and debugging things.

Arcanum can lead us to an almost perfect understanding of the engine history and also almost perfect understanding of what is a "feature" and what is a "leftover" (which is really important in case of ToEE, since its engine has more 'leftovers' than 'features': once again, a direct example here -- most original NPCs have the ONF_WANDERS flag set, which was actively used in Arcanum, but ONF_WANDERS doesn't seem to work in ToEE (which is very sad, by the way) and has to be always replaced by the waypoint system because ToEE has further subdivided tiles into subtiles and, thus, most 100% tile-based flags from Arcanum got 'corrupt'). Also, Arcanum and Arcanum Worlded were *THE* tools that I used to break down the MOB and portions of SEC format (go figure -- the .MOB format wasn't changed from Arcanum, only sizes of some structures and the property list itself were affected, to meet D&D 3.5E needs).

This is, once again, a proof that Troika was in a real hurry making ToEE (which also shows in the fact that the original game looks unfinished). They never cared to delete the leftover Arcanum features, sometimes they just disabled them, sometimes they didn't even do that (they just didn't use them anymore, knowing that their effect is now implementation-defined and is controlled by other routines that could affect it unpredictably). Sometimes they even DID use them, only to find out that the flag or a feature no longer works, and they had to find quick workarounds for it (as in the case of the Tutorial Giant Rat: it has BOTH the Waypoints AND the Standpoints with ONF_WANDERS flag -- apparently, Troika guys were trying to make it walk around the standpoint using the ONF_WANDERS flag, but then they learned that it no longer works correctly, and they resorted to using the waypoint system to make the critter wander). In fact, maybe they didn't use the feature personally, but it was the Worlded that automatically set the flag since it wasn't fully taught to conform to the latest set of features.

- Agetian

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I don't mind giving the shop map thing another go, but it could be a while before I get it going. I'll have a re-think about what items to sell as well, (I included all mundane armours - some of which are too expensive to buy).

Do you guy's want a new map? or a copy of an old one?

5. Agetian

I'd say a new map will do better, since it won't detract from the atmosphere of the original maps and will allow exact positioning of characters on 'battle' maps (such as lawful good/chaotic evil vignettes).

Also, if you'll rethink what items to sell, remember that you may not have to get rid of the items so include more copies of one and the same item (use the trick I explained in one of the posts above).

- Agetian

6. Allyx

Well ok, I don't mind doing the donkey work to make a new map for ToEE (I love this game anyway) but i'm running a little short on 2d jpg format isometric map pictures, in fact appart from ToEE, Diablo 2, and Revenant (and I don't know how to get those images out of those games) I don't have any non-ToEE maps.

Anyone who has a compatible map in mind, could you PM me for my email address, then send me the images, then I can take it from there.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

just use a ToEE map, stone walls, med+ lighting, clean tidy simple.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Bah humbug! Just copy one Allyx, I guarantee there's one in Hommlet somewhere that could be used and no-one would immediately think "ooo thats just such-&-such's house". The storeroom from the Temple comes to mind, just give the doors a DC of 50 when you copy it.

9. Allyx

I could just use the caravan map (forgot which vignette it was from) but I got a map already made for it.

[EDIT] might be a little cheesy though especially if you play that party alignment.

10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I was thinking of using the forest random encounter map with the trees removed from the .sec files, or maybe the Gnoll-attacked Caravan map.

11. Agetian

I'm thinking about something cool right now... I remember that Neverwinter Nights has quite a flexible isometric camera. I'll try to work with NWToolset, NWN, and a screenshot maker to see if I could make a good enough capture of a NWN-made map (self-made, of course :) )
    Then I'll try to make sectors for it correctly (lights and stuff included :) )
    Don't rely too much on me, though. I don't have much time, but I'll see what I can do.
    - Agetian

12. Allyx

-Agetian, I tried that multiple Item check box - doesn't seem to work, I made a new trader added all the items, I want him to sell (checked it works) then added 8 of each Item, but only one of each shows up. Does it only work for stackable items?

13. Agetian

Could be. Don't remember for sure, so it could work only on stackable items as well (in that case you'll actually have to remove certain stuff to add more copies of one and the same items, which is sad but inevitable).

- Agetian

14. Allyx

Ok I'll do it the hard way then.

[EDIT] I've now got three traders (as some have suggested) so the space in the chest isn't an issue.

What items do people want duplicated? Just boots, gloves and armor (all types)?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  15. Allyx

I've made a new version of the shop map mod "version 2", now If you tried the first version I recommend a full re-install with this mod last. Or if you know what your doing, just remove the vignette folders in the modules/toee/maps folder first, then put this mod on top.

Get version 2 here...

Changes (Borsook asked for a change log - personally I don't like them)

The modified temple.dll will make you start on the caravan map with 3 traders, one for armour, one for weapons, and one for clothing, bardic instruments and thieves tools. The armour trader will also give the option to start the adventure - this will teleport you to the vignette map you should have started on in the unpatched game.

Starting mony is unchanged from the first version IE random per class + random pocket money.

[EDIT] Oh and let me know if something is wrong with it, or if more items should be added to the traders, or anything else you can think of that may improve the mod.

Version 1 is still available (but dont try both at once).

Oh and Agetian/Shiningted and anyone else who tried the white dragon fight I posted a while back, DON'T FORGET TO DELETE THE .MOBS FOR THE DRAGON. - PC pieces are not nice to clean up!

[EDIT]Clothed PC's, and No weapon fixes included below for easy reference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
Our Host!