Equipping Characters?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pelonius, Aug 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

What I wanted to do is get rid of all the money (just check how much money the party has and remove all the gold so it's equal to 0) and then generate money using the random number generator. I know it may be deeper scripting, but it may work out pretty well. I don't have much time to work on this atm, but I guess I'll give it a try some time in the future.

- Agetian

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

A new version is up. Now with random starting cash for each character class in the group.

3. gregebowman

gregebowman Member

What is your patch compatable with? I have Liv's 1.51 and Ted's mods installed.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

[Butt-in]

Allyx's patch is compatable with both.

5. Agetian

There is a known problem with the start_equipment.mes that fighters (and paladins, and probably rangers) always have a long sword in the beginning of the game, EVEN if start_equipment.mes is empty for these classes.

I have updated the trader's script so it removes extra longswords in the beginning of the game, so that absolutely ALL characters are stripped of all items.

Just download and put the .py file into your scripts folder.

EDIT: Just reuploaded to remove druid's starting scimitar, too.

- Agetian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  6. Shiningted

Hey guys, the starting gold issue - people will want a pocket full of cash to hire Elmo, pay Jinnerth's tailoring fees, reimburse Filliken etc... there's a lot of uses for gold in the early game and precious little to be found in the Deklo Grove, Emridy meadows etc.

7. Agetian

Yeah, right. Well, I guess it's easy enough to update the script so it adds that 500gp (or maybe some other amount of money?) back *in addition* to PHB-generated money.

- Agetian

8. Allyx

This patch should be usable with both patches, but more compatable with teds mod, as it includes cujo's new armor skins. but if you have cujo's new armor with liv's mod I don't forsee any problems.

[EDIT] For those of you who have got this already, here is a replacement sript to give an additional random amount of starting cash (200gp - 300gp) for hireing Elmo, or giving a 20gp gift to Jinnereth.

For those of you who haven't tried this out yet, I've uploaded this new version to the FTP now - same link as before.

Attached Files:

• scr.zip
      File size:
      718 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  9. Allyx

It has come to my attention that a few Items were incorrect, this has now been fixed, please re-download the mod, for these changes to take effect.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Allyx, I think your shop map is excellent, both in concept and execution. The selection is amazing.I do have one small problem with it, though. The way it is now, you can buy every type of rusty weapon in the game, but if you want two of your characters to wear studded leather or chainmail, your'e SOL because the merchant only has one of each. I would suggest getting rid of the rusty weapons (who really want's to buy them anyway) and double up on some of the armor. Also, have you considered just making a map with multiple merchants, each selling certain catagories of items (clothing, weapons, armor, etc.), and each having the ability to teleport the party to the appropriate starting map for each parties alignment when they are ready to begin the adventure? It's probably more difficult than I think it is, but I don't think it should be that hard. It also makes a little more sense than having a merchant standing around in a town you supposedly just razed.

11. Shiningted

Cerulean: brilliant! :clap: Edit the jumpoints of the vignettes to take you to a shop, then when u r finished you can head off to see Kent. That way you don't have to wonder why there are merchants selling stuff outside a burning church or inside a Hextor temple or whatever.

And there is a shopmap in the game, just sitting there... at least there are sectors for it...

Whatcha reckon Allyx?

12. Agetian

Hey, it's not really necessary to get rid of rusty anything to add more armors. Just load every armor MOB you want to multiply (NOT the container, the ARMOR itself), go to the "Items" tab, and type in the required "Amount", then save. You'll make the merchant sell more armors that way (one armor in one slot, but there will be multiple copies available).

EDIT: I'm pretty sure (95%) that it should work the way I described above, but I don't really have time to check for myself, so please check it out anyway. Could be helpful. I'm sure that it works for most item objects in the game!

- Agetian

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  13. Cerulean the Blue

Actually, I was thinking of it the other way around. Use ToEEWB to edit the .dll to send all parties to the shop map first, then have one person there who will give you a "Begin Adventuring" option that would send you to your appropriate starting viginette.

I tried teleporting to that map. Apparantly Troika conscriped that map to do the scrolling background of temple walls and windows you see behind the main game menu. My characters were just walking around behind the scrolling image. Then I looked at it in ToEEWB. The sectors are mainly just the gargoyles crawling around on the walls. There is a merchant and his inventory and wares in the mobs, but his script and dialogue just make the image scroll and the gargoyles crawl. When I was running around on the map I couldn't find him, even though his protos says you should be able to see him. He's probably at the back of the map. your characters only show up at the front of the map, and scroll with the image.

14. Shiningted

Sounds like they had 2 or 3 different ideas going there... an actual shop with merchant, then a shopping screen with the scrolling stuff in the background etc, then the final idea of just the scrolling stuff and no shopping... hmmm... o well, Allyx is a mapmaker extraordinaire, if he doesn't hate us for suggesting this drastic start-from-scratch change, another little shop should be easy :)

15. Cerulean the Blue

Agetian, your tool (and i'm refering to ToEEWB) never ceased to amaze me. I didn't realize that was possible. Yes, by all means keep the rusty stuff. I suppose someone might spend most of there gold on other things and need a cheap weapon.

Our Host!