Enabling the vanilla Infinity Engine like voice and sound effects aka soundsets

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by hellblazer, Oct 23, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Most people don’t know this, but Toee has prerecorded soundsets for all the pcs and npcs similar to the infinity games. These vocalizations are meant to be played during various in-game circumstances such as being near death (Lareth; “Someone help me!”), a party members death (“Ooh! Bloody!”), and being bored\ letting the game idle (“You cannot stay here forever.”)

These voiced sound effects are stored in Toee3dat but are never heard. As ShiningTed said in his Modding ToEE Tutorial, “The only ones that do seem to appear regularly are saying yes, saying no, encumbrance, death gurgles, accidental damage, and opening a chest.” I am interested in making a template for that would enable these voice effects for one PC or NPC that others could use to replicate for all the other PC and NPC voicesets. Does anyone know if anybody has done this for any one single PC or NPC which could be used as a “template” somewhere?

I am a novice at python scripting so bear with me but some thoughts act activating them:

Low on hitpoints/Near Death: Copy the script that NPC clerics use to heal their comrades when they are
    25% hitpoints and attach the appropriate .dlg dialogue line like what was done for Darley when she dies.

Warcry:
    1) My understanding is that only one voice will be played and that NPC’s have priority if several voices are triggered at the same time but it can be a bit dodgy sometimes and inconsistent and perhaps not play at all? Is that a correct assumption of the current engine mechanics? It would be bothersome if all of the voices played at once and you heard everyone’s war cry simultaneously upon entering into combat

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not sure what you mean by a "template" exactly. Shiningted made a few NPCs say various things as they should via scripting, being as there are some script attachment points that lend themselves to this, such as san new_map and san enter_combat. Most instances can't be fixed this way however; the routine was originally hardcoded but never fully enabled therein according to Troika staff, so we are pretty much out of luck on that unless a .dll guru comes along who wants to spend the next several months reverse engineering it just to add a few voice opportunities. ;)

You could probably write a script for an npc's san start_combat script to make them say "zOMG!" when they are under x%, yeah.

Yes, IIRC that's how it currently works. Sometimes. You could again add a script for san enter_combat that makes them shout something, as Ted did, and formulate some type of complex 'if not x then y' routine to control priority or queue based on a temporary variable or something that covers all NPCs, but it might work dodgily with the hardcoded part.

Our Host!