Elves in the Temple - a Co8 FanFic and partial walk thru

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Old Book, Oct 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

An enchanted figurine in the East? Did I miss something in my game? Guess I'll have to just do it again.

Old Book, consider yourself backfed... er...given feedback. Outstanding story!

2. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

The "Child's Toy" is small, but you can find it by tapping the tab button a few times.

Thanks.

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I appreciate that zombie getting de-animated, too.

You're the best, OB-1! :drunk:

4. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Wow, a plethora of updates! New stuff from Rich Burlew, Dan Shive, and especially Old Book!

Love the work, but I'm envious. Imeryd's Run is one place I always lose someone. I either try too soon or just have bad luck with the "dice" because the Sea Hag is very tough.

Is the zombie a 5.0.4 deal?

5. Old Book

The Zombie sign post is there in 5.0.4, but will be replaced in the next patch.

The Run is a fun fight. :)
    It's easier with a smaller party; 6 PCs, 1 NPC and two Animal Companions means that the Frogs and Hag & Lizard Men will trigger at once, catching the party between them. 5 or fewer characters allows you to pick off one group at a time. A smaller party also gives you time to buff before the Hag fight.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The swamp is tough, all right. Or I always find it so.

Nice work Old Book :clap:

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey OB, I notice that many of your old chapters have become corrupted with wacky apostrophes and quotation marks, like so:

I suspect this was a result of the server move. Might want to fix it all up sometime though. :gotmyatte

8. Old Book

Sure, fixed.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  9. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

looks like it's time to start the pdf chapter book for download.... damn good stuff

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

screen snapshots would make a nice addition as well

11. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I've downloaded all of them into a word document... 56 pages... Later I will start to put then into "chapters" based upon the storyline if this is ok wiith Old Book. So if people have some nice screenshots based upon his storyline, send them to me and I will work them in prior to completing our first Ebook.

12. Old Book

With the exception of the interlude with Clarice early on, the story is already in order.

I'd want to edit a PDF before it was put out, and everyone whose content appears would need to by given credit (myself as author, Troika, the Co8 gang). That said, I like the idea of a Co8 PDF Walk-through Fan Fic; might do some good in promoting the mod and the game.

My copy comes to 29,071 words right now, not counting the upcoming chapter. It's probably going to be 50,000+ words when finished, and won't be finished until somewhere around late December at the earliest.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  13. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Old Book... absolutely... if we get some screen shots, it could be put together in Word format for review prior to conversion.... title page, index, credits the whole thing and we could use some of the newer art that people have made for it...

14. Old Book

Part the 26th, Orbits

From the Journals of Jack B. Swift, Professional Adventurer, published 585, Greyhawk Press

“I’m almost out of spells and scrolls” said Kate.

“I fear that is true for all of us, my friend” said Perry.

“We’ll find someplace to rest up in Nulb,” I said.

We’d just survived stumbling into a small tribe of non-humans in Imeryd’s Run. Lizard men, giant frogs, even a Sea Hag. We’d been lucky.

“Jack,” said Perry, “perhaps we should make the trip back to Hommlet? Strained as they may be, we have relationships with the people of that village, and rooms we know to be secure. We are strangers in Nulb.”

“It’s most of a day’s march” said Kate, “and Barbara is carrying a giant fish in a sack.”

“We could,” inserted Bar, “put this thing in that magic storage chest you’re carrying.”

“And get fish stink all over my equipment?”

“Better yours than mine,” said Bar.

“We head to Nulb,” I said. “Give the fish to Grud as soon as we get to town, and get him to start spreading the good word about us. After that, we can find an inn. Kate, Perry, Fox and Dio, you can prepare more scrolls; Dio, you can do some training with Mel. After that, we’ll bed down for the night.”

We trekked through the swamps back to Nulb. Bar and Kate bickered most of the way.

Nulb was an ugly village; dirty, foul smelling, built from water damaged wood and the wreckage of old ships. The streets were mostly raised boardwalks over marshy ground and open water. The men swaggered like buccaneers, and the women had a swing to their hips and a hard glint in their eyes. I liked the place.

The sun was just setting on our return. I noticed that someone had hauled off the remains of the zombie sign post, and placed a more traditional post before the main bridge. We followed the directions to the docks.

“We have your fish for you, Grud,” I said. Barbara hauled the head of the huge thing out of where Grud could see it, and then dropped the sack at his feet.

“Ha! You did it!” Grud seemed pleased. “That’ll show ‘em! Grud Squinteye ain’t no spinner of tall tales! There were a giant gar in the run!”

“And for us, Grud?”

“Heh, I’ll be lettin’ every man in Nulb know yer me friends, and fine fishermen ta boot!”

We left Squinteye then, and headed back to the signpost.

“Tavern?” asked Fox.

“Bed?” suggested Hekate.

“Brothel,” I said. According to the signpost, the place was named the Snake Pit.

“OK,” said Fox, “brothel.” Then Mel hit him.

“We’ve taken care of Grud,” I said. “Now we go and see if we can deal with Preston Wrest’s problems.”

Perry nodded, and Bar and Dio shrugged, but Kate was looking angry.

I started walking towards the Snake Pit. In my experience, if you just start walking, your friends will follow. They followed.

We spotted a townswoman in front of Mother Screng’s Apothecary and Tattoo Parlor (at the South East end of Nulb’s boardwalk, across from the Snake Pit, Real Potions from Real Witches, Low Prices Every Day). The woman turned out to be Moragause, Lila Renton’s fellow coven member, and told us that the curette Lila was looking for was being held by one of the girls in the brothel.

In front of the Snake Pit, we met the slave and the fortune teller.

“I have foreseen your coming, friends of Grud Squinteye, and I believe you are destined to help me.” The fortune teller, Mona, was a short, heavy set woman in colorful clothing. Her accent was unusual.

“How’d she know we were friends of Grud?” whispered Dio.

“Fortune teller” replied Kate.

I tried to ignore them. “How can we help you?” I asked Mona.

“My crystal ball has been stolen,” said Mona, “You must retrieve it for me.”

“Do you know who stole it?” As I was talking with Mona, I saw Fox chatting with an attractive young woman by the brothel entrance.

“It was a boy!” said Mona, raising one hand in the air. “A boy in the arms of darkness, yet not yet beyond the light!” Her voice took on a sing-song quality. “A boy torn between good and evil, between farm and sea, between craft and cruelty!” She paused a moment, and then, hesitantly, ventured a “Wooo!”

“Please stop that,” I said.

“Eh?” said the fortune teller.

“That was very unhelpful.”

She shrugged. “Sorry. The tourists like a bit of a show.”

“We’re trying to help you. Who stole the orb?” I put my hand on my rapier, to remind her that helping was only one alternative.

“Mickey, the brewer’s apprentice from Hommlet. He hangs out nights, on the boardwalk near the Waterside Hostel. Young lad, doesn’t fit in here. You can’t miss him.”

“Thanks,” I said, and went over to where Fox was chatting with the girl.

“Into the Snake Pit” I told Fox. He said his goodbyes to the girl, and the whole gang of us piled into the brothel.

The brothel was clean and well kept, a change compared to the rest of Nulb. Madam Ophelia greeted us at the door. Gorgeous human woman, blond, with enough perfectly applied makeup to make guessing her age a near impossibility and enough perfume to stun a werewolf at ten paces. She and Hekate were wearing matching corsets, a fact that both women clearly noticed. They exchanged polite nods.

“Gentlemen, ladies, welcome to the Snake Pit.” The combination of her voice and looks, especially with the contrast between her and Kate, was suggesting all sorts of ways she could help me, but I kept my mind on business.

(I had Kate, brave and beautiful, and good with spell and bow; letting my mind drift too far south wasn’t worth the risk.)

I won’t detail how I retrieved Lila’s Curette; there are some aspects of my time in Nulb I’d rather forget. Suffice to say that it was indeed in the hands of one of the girls, and a brief negotiation with the Madam put us in contact. I may never be able to look at surgical instruments or barnyard animals in quite the same way again.

After that was resolved, I asked Ophelia why she was having trouble paying Preston Wrest, and how I might be of service.

“There may be something you can help me with” she said in that wonderful voice. “Most of my girls are happy in their work, and I’m happy with them.” She leaned forward and started running her right hand up and down my forearm as she spoke. “I think of myself as a big sister to my girls; I look out for them, care for them. We’re a family.” Her left hand pressed against my chest. “But then there’s Riana, one of my girls. She has been sending customers away unhappy.” She leaned in closer, lowering her voice. “So far, out of kindness, I’ve given Riana time. But she’s hurting the Snake Pit.”

“Why…” I squeaked, and then got my own voice under control, “If she’s not happy working here, maybe it would be best to let her go?”

“I’d love to, my dear,” she said, her right thigh now brushing my own, “but there are practical considerations. When I took Riana in, I paid her debts, and protected her from some dreadful people. I’ve housed her, and fed her, and cared for her. I’ve made a considerable investment in my Riana. That investment needs repaying.” Her right hand drifted up over my bicep, joining her left on my chest. “I’d appreciate it if you could have a word with her.”

I nodded my agreement. As I turned away, I saw Hekate looking frankly at me, her own right hand resting casually on her bow. With her left hand she scratched her shoulder, beside her quiver. I headed upstairs, to Riana’s room.

The Snake Pit’s upstairs working space was clean and well furnished, but old, cheap wood showed behind expensive wall hangings. Riana paced in her room, and glared at me as I entered. She was dark haired and athletic, an excellent build displayed in the brothel’s uniform of a few strips of not all that much. Unsmiling, she asked “Why are you here?”

“Madam Ophelia sent me. She says you’re unhappy here.”

She tossed her hair. It occurred to me that she looked a lot like the girl Fox had been chatting up outside.

“Get out,” she said.

I remained in the doorway. I was tired. Tired of trying to win people’s trust, tired of Nulb, and tired of arguing with my own adventuring company over every little decision. I just wanted to find a Temple contact or two and get out of Nulb.

“You owe Madam Ophelia money; she owes Preston Wrest money. Something needs to be done about this situation.”

“I won’t whore for Ophelia! Now get out!” She was angry, and frightened.

I tightened my hand on my rapier hilt. There were ways and ways to persuade someone.

Then I took a breath, and let it out.

None of the gang would accept solving the problem that way. Even I wouldn’t accept it. Charming or reasoning her into doing her job wasn’t going to work either. I saw only one option.

“What if I paid your debt to Ophelia? What would you do then?”

She looked shocked, then suspicious. “Why would you do that?” she asked.

“Stupidity can’t be ruled out” I said, and headed back downstairs.

Kate, Ophelia, and all the girls were chatting pleasantly when I returned to the entrance room. Even Mel was laughing at something. Fox looked uncomfortable.
    “How much to pay Riana’s debts, Madam,” I asked, “how much to buy her contract?”

Ophelia looked at me. “I don’t know,” she said, “is this really what Riana wants?”

“It is.”

“Well,” said Ophelia, the shrewd businesswoman showing briefly through the seductress mask, “Riana’s services are valuable to me, and I’ve spent quite a few coins helping her out these last few months. Perhaps, say, 500 in gold?”

“Done,” I said, and handed a pouch of coins over. The entire gang was staring at me as though I’d grown an extra head.

Ophelia seemed shocked as well, but she rallied. “It’s a bargain, then,” she said, taking the money. “Her contract is yours, and you may do with her as you like.”

I headed back upstairs.

“I’ve paid your debts,” I said to Riana, “and paid off your contract. You’re free to go.”

She looked shocked. “What?”

I explained again. I don’t think she believed me, but she followed me down the stairs.

Ophelia was cool at first, but the money had warmed her heart sufficiently to keep her talking. “I have another problem you may be able to help me with,” she said. “Mickey, the brewer’s apprentice from Hommlet, has been hanging around here. He frightens the girls, and annoys the guests. Perhaps you could have a little word with him?”

I agreed, and led the gang and Riana outside. It was clear that Kate and company wanted a word, but I stared them down. I wasn’t in the mood.

“Riana!”

“Serena!”

Almost as soon as we stepped outside, Riana was holding onto the girl Fox had been speaking with earlier. Both Riana and the other girl were weeping, Seen together, the family resemblance was obvious. Once they’d calmed down slightly, a story emerged.

“We were traveling on the Nyr Dyv,” said Riana.

“When we were captured by pirates,” said Serena.

“I was sold to the brothel,” said Riana, “I couldn’t escape.”

“And I was sold to the fortuneteller;” said Serena, “even if I could have gotten away, I couldn’t flee without my sister.”

I didn’t need prompting. I handed another pouch of coins over to the gypsy, and Serena was free.

We took out the storage chest and gave the two leather armor, daggers, crossbows, bolts, and a spare set of lock-picking tools.

“Let us come with you!” said Serena.

“We work best as a pair!” said Riana.

“We can do all sorts of things for you!” said Serena.

“All sorts!” said Riana.

Meleny looked close to panic, Dio looked depressed, Bar looked amused, and Kate was wearing a calm smile that promised mayhem.

I turned the sisters down, and wished them well. They had weapons, gear and freedom, more than enough for a fair chance in a place like Nulb.

Chasing down Mickey wasn’t much of a task. He was right where Mona had said he’d be, on the boardwalk a short distance from the Waterside Hostel. Unhappy looking kid, he’d been in a recent fight and hadn’t come out of it well. I wasn’t feeling sympathetic. I forced him to hand over the orb, and told him to stay away from the Snake Pit. He ran off.

On the way back to the Snake Pit, Kate asked me a question.

“When we got here,” she said, “you told Perry that just handing cash to Preston Wrest would make us marks. Then you went and handed out bags of cash to help those two girls.”

“Do you think it was a mistake?” I asked.

“No, I think it was a good choice; I just want to know why you did it.”

“Two bags of gold,” I told her, “helped earn us the trust of a madam and a fortune teller, moved us closer to earning the goodwill of a third Nulb citizen, and freed two slaves without drawing a weapon.”

Kate nodded.

We returned the orb to Mona. “You have done much for me” she said, keeping the tourist-oriented histrionics to a minimum, “allow me to do something for you in return. Would you like to know your future?”

“Maybe,” I said. When a mysterious old lady offers to tell your future, you agree, but you try to hedge your bets; basic adventuring. “Can we change the future you reveal, or is it fixed?”

Her grin revealed her own serious need for a dentist. “Your destiny is your own; I reveal only glimpses, and for such good friends I can help to shape what I show. What sort of future do you wish for?”

I considered.

“Bags and bags of gold and a huge harem of concubines?” suggested Fox. Mel hit him again. It was nice to see their relationship maturing.

“A great crusade against Evil?” said Bar. “A victorious crusade,” she added.

“Success in our mission” said Perry.

“University positions with tenure, and happy, healthy children” suggested Kate, scaring me deeply.

“To make the world better” suggested Dio.

“I wish,” I said, “for challenging adventure.”

Mona’s eye glinted strangely, and a flash of light came from her crystal ball. She reached out and marked our map in the right hand margin, where we kept text notes.

“Don’t bite off more than you can chew” said Mona.

We headed past the sisters, still discussing their plans, and entered the Snake Pit. I told Madam Ophelia I’d taken care of her problem with Mickey.

“Ophelia was telling us,” said Kate, “that she sometimes rents out rooms.”

I decided not to argue. “How much for rooms for us, Madam?”

“All six of you, plus a dog and a chicken? Even by my standards, that’s unusual.” Ophelia considered. “Thirty gold.”

I paid it, and we went to our rooms.

End part the 26th. Next: House Party

15. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Awesome, OB-1

Our Host!