Electrical Traps, Chest Traps, and Diary Traps

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Dec 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

Should we get rid of Livonya's traps?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2008.
  1. Yes, the electricity trap on Temple level 4 needs to go.

45.5%
  2. Yes, Lareth's diary trap needs to go.

25.0%
  3. Yes, the Moathouse chest traps need to go.

6.8%
  4. No, the electricity trap on Temple level 4 must stay.

11.4%
  5. No, Lareth's diary trap must stay.

11.4%
  6. No, the Moathouse chest traps must stay.

25.0%
  7. Yes, all the traps need to go.

13.6%
  8. No, all the traps are wonderful and they must stay!

31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I'd say that your efforts bore fruit. 90% of the modders here were inspired by your work. Ted's still obsessing...hell, we probably all are.

2. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Great to see you sticking your head back in again, even if only for a post or two; your mod was the main thing that kept me playing ToEE back in the day.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Livonya: Two individual mods we have said are things not to change are your skeletal priest and your electrical trap.

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

The priest must stay! The chest trap needs a little polishing IMO...
    but that's been discussed long ago... Hmm... which reminds me:
    How's the rebalancing going? And how's new and improved
    H_B, krunch? :)

5. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I agree. (assuming you are talking about the electrical trap with the 2 chests)

I am currently working my way through the tutorials for all the new tools. And then I will see where I am at. I have a lot to learn and to re-learn.

I have a list of things that I had fixed/added that I finished, but never uploaded. If there is interest, if I have the time, and if I can figure out what I was doing and how I did it, then I might go ahead and post them. Time will tell. I am still in the re-education phase.

Polishing that electriclal trap would take some work. There are a number of problems with it. It was an experiment, and there were a LOT of scenarios that I never thought of that players encountered with it.

TOEE is damn hard to script for because there are almost a limitless number of possible scenarios that a player can experience when interacting with something. There is almost no way to make anything complicated work for every single player in every single game.

Still, that trap needed more work, there is no doubt about that.

- Livonya

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Yeah, spells like Charm Person alone are a scripter's nightmare. It was quite amusing seeing scripts attempt to cover these scenarios with leader_get() checks on non-joinable NPCs :)

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well 'Suggestion' should be outlawed, just to prevent modders from going insane.

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I wrote a quick fix to make it easier to get the password (just changed the conditions a little bit and added some bulletproofing for certain scenarios) and have been playing with alternative ways to get past. Sadly, my skills are lacking and I've had the craziest year of my life. Looking forward to seeing what you do when you're back into the swing of things :)

9. void

void Member

Hello

In my opinion both Lareth's diary and Level 4 electric trap have one common big problem. If I am trying to disable trap by a dialog, not in-game I can't see how much I have missed the requirement and if it makes sense to try once again.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Lareth's diary puts Nulb on the world map, but the merchants have dialogue for it also so you're not missing anything. A good rogue can disable the trap easily, just make sure you have a good PC rogue with masterwork thieving tools preferably.

11. relic

relic Established Member

I thought I would add my 2 cents' worth on this, particularly the electricity trap on Temple level 4: I voted to get rid of it.

But why not put something similar in the room where Hedrack hangs out w/ all his cronies? Specifically, behind where the two wizards are standing and that troll is strangely "hiding" in the wall. The original TOEE module had some kind of violet fungi curtain there, and only people who carried the TZGY scarab could approach within 5 feet of the curtain without being attacked (save vs. poison or rot).

A trap here makes much more sense because it guards the entrance to the temple's treasure room (and it's in the original module!). A totally new trap could be designed (along the lines of the original module) or put the electricity/chest trap there. If you go w/ latter, I like the idea that the scarabs let you pass through...

12. St.Cuthbert1176

St.Cuthbert1176 Member

i love rouges.....not enough attention has been given to them in computer game titles.....i have recently been pickpocketing in hommlett and let me tell you!!!!!!!my rougue has made me rich!!!!!wands magical items potions!!!!!and the mainstay of the rougue iz to disarm and find traps.... i dont know about everyone else but i feel there should be even more traps in the mods....i feel that some doors need to have traps on them and anyone whose EVER played d and d knows that if a nonrouge trys to do a rogues job a trap will enevitably be set off and the party has a good chance of being wiped out....this iz d and d folks and i give all the kudos tolivonya for her traps.like i said there needs to be more not less....these r mostly dungeon levels after all and its supposed to be a stronghold of sorts...lots of traps make sense

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The general feeling is, yes, more traps, but not anytime soon. Rogues are a big part of D&D and ToEE and pretty popular. Lots of good stuff for rogues in ToEE.

Our Host!