Effective use of the Rogue

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ipon, Jan 27, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ipon

Ipon Member

I've been reading the original Atari forums (circa 2003 and now closed) about ToEE combat strategies (specifically: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320253). This seems to be a pre-patch 1 discussion. One of the main strategies suggested is to constantly use "sneak" during combat for constant sneak attacks. This exploit seems fixed.

My question is, how does one effectively use the rogue's skills? Every time I select "sneak" in combat it tells me I can't do it during combat.

I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my AD&D V1 mind around the V3.5 Rogue class. I've stopped looking for the "backstab" option and realize they did away with it. But I can't quite manage to do anything but flank an opponent with my Rogue. (I'm only lvl 4, so maybe that's a problem).

Also, where does "Hide" fit it? And "slight of hand" (which I imagine is "pickpocket?")

2. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

I 'came up' from 1st ed also.

Sneak is used outside of combat for sneaking around while exploring, I believe all characters have the ability, some better than others.

When sneaking your character(s) will appear crouched and move more slowly.

Hide is self explanatory,it also is a skill that can be built up at level change.

When you are able to flank a critter that is engaged in combat with another character,
    like a fighter, your rogue has a better chance to critical hit the critter.
    What we fondly called Backstab.

Sleight of hand is similar to pick pockets, although it is also used to catch others.

The best use of the rogue is as 'party leader' (1st slot), yes it's annoying to old farts like us who habitually sent the thief/assassin to the back of the bus, but they do have the best skills package.

Speaking of old school, the new bard is nothing like the bard we used.
    Although you can still build a Ftr/Thf/Dru its kind of cool. (Use a human)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    I am another "Up from 1st Edition" player. Allow me to add some info if I may.

Our Host!