Dwarf Paladins and drinking habits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krunch, Jun 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If a Paladin is going to be a intergal part of the game (future mods), then a decision has to be made. Are they holy-roller, do-gooders who can do no wrong? Is their presence so strong that associates will behave in a like manner? If the Paladin said, If you people are going behave like this, I'm leaving, then what? No drinking contest? Eactly how a Paladin is going to interact is up to question. If I were a modder, I wouldn't this with a 10ft pole.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

So...it's well known that the vast majority of people hate the drinking contest making a Paladin fall. This is in no small part due to it being such a surprise when it happens. Troika intended it this way for some reason, perhaps because of the very limited role playing aspects of their game (...or perhaps as a cheap substitiute). Whatever the reason, we know it's stuck in the craw of many, and may be worthy of some type of attempt at a fix; 'cause let's face it...nothing satisfies everyone. Can someone write a dialogue for there being a paladin in the group, and at least offering the option of that character saying something about it as a warning of their fall if they become involved? At least it won't be a surprise if they get mixed up in it and lose their status.

Thoughts...suggestions?

3. Drew

Drew Kind of a prick

I think having you otherwise silent player-created paladin speak up might be pushing it a bit in the immersion department. What if we put the warning in the dialogue right at the beginning of the drinking contest.....you know.....have the guy running the contest refuse to let you participate if there's a Paladin in the group.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I like that idea, sorry sir/mam' your paladin tells me its againist his code of conduct for him/her to associate with people involved in this sort of behavour so I cacn't let you partisapate.

well if it was possable to script, maybe getting the butcher of hommlet rep would cause your paladin to fall as an alternative.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

For the record (though this has been discussed before) in KotB various actions will advance a Paladin slowly toward fallage (or quickly, depending on the act - frankly i think just up n murdering a shopkeeper would do it but thats just me) and not just leap on you - you have to earn it. Ditto for clerics and droids, they too will fall if straying from their diety's alignment. The specific karmic repercussions will be up to the individual modders, as will the behaviour of Paladin NPCs. Some can be self-righteous do-gooders, some can be saints, some can be complicated, its up to how people want to make them.

Ok, back to discussing ToEE.
    Doesn't it? I tried adding a rep in KotB the other day (number 6 or something, the one you get for making beggars in ToEE) and it automatically falled my paladin.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

to be honest, it never occured to me to actually kill hommlet off with a paladin in the party - I'm more of a NE type of person, smile to your face and poison your well the day I leave town.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

These are not the droids you're looking for.

More seriously, I don't think druids can actually fall. Their powers come from nature, not a deity, even if they worship one. I suppose a druid could fall if they starting pointlessly lighting trees on fire and clubbing baby seals or something.

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Roofles!:D

I'm sure you meant this to refer to BOTH acts, right? I mean, clubbing baby seals can have a point sometimes, and wouldn't automatically be offensive to nature...

9. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

True, you kill alot of Wildlife in TOEE :p

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Yes. Basically I was just saying that druids don't care about alignment issues. The only thing that would sever a druids connection to nature was if he started randomly or systematically destroying plant and animal life, or otherwise turning his back in his gifts.

A druid killing to eat, for shelter or to defend himself would be fine. Burning down a forest or using squirrels for target practice with his Produce Flame would not.

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Natural animals found in random encounters can simply be avoided, planned encounters can be avoided (Hide from Animals), have thier reactions to the PC's adjusted (Calm Animals), befriended (Charm Animal) at first level for a druid. getting around hostile natural animals without killing them IS possible, and should reinforce a druids faith, however killing natural animals should put the druids faith in question.

12. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

Hmm... what about the Funguses / Plants? Failing your roll?
    Also what about your other party members even if you can?

Life and death are part of the nature. Animals kill, murder, protect and nuture. So I'm not sure killing is an issue to a Druid (unless Good). Nature has order and also seems to behave randomly, I think the only ethos that would matter to a Druid is balance and some kind of protection of nature, but not necessarily any individual animal/plant/bacteria/disease life or behaving on a whim/randomly. But definitely things that violate nature (not Greek nature philosophy or Roman Catholic derivative but not happening in Nature) such as perhaps Undeath.

13. Shiningted

KotB quests 11 and 12. Reminds me of a former g/f who was always whining how I never bought her presents, never took her anywhere etc, and demanded a fur coat and a night out.

So I took her out clubbing...

Anyways, Druids in KotB will be in danger of falling if they hunt animals for pelts, kill animals for no good reason (and there will certainly be chances to do that, indeed in some senses it will be encouraged), violate sacred grove areas (also an option) and basically things based on nature, not 'balance-alignment' nonsense.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Altho IIRC there is some kind of anti-druid, who gets their power from destroying nature. I'm pretty sure it's in one of the books.

15. Shiningted

Old Growth Logger - +2 vs old, ancient and venerable animals. Takes double damage from the Legal Injunction spell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!