Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Spike, Feb 24, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Howdy, folks. Been a while, so I thought I'd pop in & say hello. I hope all is well with each of you.

So, a few months ago, I got started on playing DDO. This was shortly after it became free to play. Now, I hate the 4th edition for any number of reasons, but mainly because it is "video game" D&D. I don't believe it would ever translate well to the tabletop. HOWEVER - I do have any number of reasons to like it, as well, not the least of which is I get to play with my buddy Zorn almost as often as I'd like. Recently, we had a guy in our party who was from Australia. Obviously, I was reminded of Ted at once. We regularly have games with 3 people from all over my state +2 in another, then sometimes we round out the party with folks from wherever. That was pretty much when it occurred to me that many here might enjoy playing it, and it will most likely be the one way we will actually EVER be able to play together sometime. The voice chat works great, and even my ancient dino of a computer runs the game really well, if not at it's highest video res level because of the aforementioned antiquity. There's no PvP unless you want that, lots of socialization (which I believe is why most folks have hung on here so long...) and some good, challenging dungeon activity. Lots of things to puzzle out, and $#!+ that will frakkin' KILL you. It's terrific fun, and none of my group except me pays for any kind of the premium service. So far, I've only spent about the same as one might pay for the 4th edition DMG, so it's a bargain for *my* entertainment dollar...and maybe yours, too if you so choose. If you ever want to find me, I lead a guild in Stormreach on the Argonessen server known as the Backslash Reavers. It'd be fun to take on a dungeon with you there.

Lord_Spike

aka

Schpeik Nottingelse
    Leader, Backslash Reavers

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I used to play it sometime after it got released for free but the premium item-mission-whatnot killed it for me. I might give it one more chance, though I promise nothing. :)

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I've been playing it for a couple of months now, too. I've got 11 'toons' on six of the 7 worlds. Most are ranger-rogues.

It's 3.5, not 4.0. It's set in the Eberron universe. There are no gnomes, half-elves or half-orcs. Drow and 'Warforged' are available as 'premium' races. Druid is not available and monk and 'Favored Soul' are 'premium' classes.

I enjoy playing it because of the ease of creating parties. And I have several people I regularly group with, including an Aussie or two.

It's rated teen, but there are a few kids who play. From what I've seen, they are absolutely incapable of playing in a group. There are also a lot of current and ex servicemen playing, and it's a lot of of fun to take on very difficult quests and try to overcome them using teeamwork. And there are a LOT of old tabletop D&D'rs from the '70's.

I definitely recommend giving it a look.

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I've been meaning to try it but I still have trauma/psychiatric problems from playing world of asscraft for almost 3 years. I might go pick up a copy pretty soon just because they don't try and rip you off by paying a monthly fee.

I don't want to deal with the same types of issues again although in any MMORPG I think it's inevitable. I can't stand loot whoring and guild drama and farming/grinding and dishonesty while in groups and skewed auctioning/bartering systems and chinese farmers trying to scam you at every moment of the game and gold buyers/sellers and super high level characters killing your NPC's that you need to use while questing and traveling for 30 minutes to get from one place to another for raids/quests and needing a very specific item that only spwans once every 4 months to complete a quest and on and on and on and on...

I may take a look at the player vs. player mechanics and see if I like tham. It's so much less hassle that raiding.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  5. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

I am playing it sometimes on "Ghallanda" server. Even spent $6 to support them. Nice enough for MMORPG and the only one I did not waste after a couple of hours.

[EDIT - 23 of September 2010] Spent another ~25 US dollars.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  6. kio11

kio11 Established Member

i played it also for a while. iwill return to play once theyimplement druid class or find some friends from out of the game to play with

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hmmmm ... I feel tempted.

8. GuardianAngel82

Go for it! :thumbsup:

It's a huge download, and the lagging is incessant.

It's real-time and there are a lot of noobs, zergs and idiots on it, so you will die a lot. And it's difficult to progress beyond 10th level without paying cash. But it's 3.5(ish) and complicated and there are a LOT of adults and foreigners playing it. I usually have a good time. ;)

9. Grimslade

Grimslade Member

I played this for almost a full year when it first came out - it was a blast! Belonged to a great guild - I only left when the guild disbanded due to members quitting because most of us didn't care for the new content they were adding.

10. kio11

kio11 Established Member

its not so bad even after level 10 without cash. the few buyable dungeons are buyable with the money you collect by playing. also lord of the rings online has also gone into d&d online system. so maybe you can collect money from one game and use it in the other one. im not sure though.

also the latest content they added is every guild being able to buy a flying ship. so maybe you guys like it

11. GuardianAngel82

The Guild Airship is like a map to map transporter with buffing 'amenities' onboard.

It's not in-game money but ddo points that you earn slowly during the game, or buy with real world money, that allow you to buy the 'sdventure packs'.

12. kio11

kio11 Established Member

yep. although i find it quiet ridiculous to pay 6.9 usd for a dungeon

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Well, considering what movie tickets cost, not to mention the fact that PnP dungeons cost 2-3 times that much in the '80s...yeah, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth still. I have joined the VIP ranks, our Guild is level 28, and we have the Stormglory Bolt airship. DDO points and realworld $ buy the adventure packs, but IMO VIP is the deal costing only $10 a month for unlimited access.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  14. GuardianAngel82

I have quite a few toons on several servers. I play premium: mostly free to play, but I have bought all the adventure packs and several of the other features. That way I own them rather than rent them. Either way, you'll pay similar amounts of real life money. You can also play completely free to play, but it's real hard to get up into the higher levels. I play mainly on Sarlona, Cannith and Khyber. My guilds range from level one to 61.

I like it because there are a lot more mature adults. And group play, even with strangers, is easily done. You meet a lot of interesting people that way.

15. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

I played for some time, but did not log in for... well, like three months due to various stuff, like being main person in master tarining program, writing a thesis, and writing another thesis, punishig studentesses, drawing pictures...

My main character is somewhere between 18-th and 20-th level.

I do not know if I will have time for this soon, and if I do, I am going to spend it on courting girls rather than fighting virtual kobolds.

But, on the other hand, sometimes one needs some moments of relaxation...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
Our Host!