Download

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by oldbird, Dec 7, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. oldbird

oldbird Member

Where can i download co8 patch for temple of elemental evil. I also got problem with identify it cost 100 gp everytime i use it why? It get mee broke lol.

2. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

That's the way identify works. The material component is 100gp worth of dimond dust, I believe. One nice way around it, though, is to make a wand of identify. They're pretty cheap to make, and don't cost anything to use. For a few hundred gp you get about 40 identifies.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There is indeed such a patch, and a dang fine patch it is (did we just have this discussion at Atari forums?) but the patch part of this site seems to be down. The site was hacked recently and i think only the forums are up atm.

4. maveric28

maveric28 Member

Actually, it's a pearl... from the Player's Handbook, pg. 243: "Arcane Material Component: A pearl of at least 100 gp value, crushed and stirred into wine with an owl feather; the infusion must be drunk prior to spellcasting."

The real quandry here is that the Magic Domain allows Identify as a 2nd-level clerical spell. And, as a clerical spell, it should not cost a Magic-domain cleric a cent to cast Identify; they substitute their holy symbols as a focus and don't pay for expendable material components. And in the pencil-and-paper D&D game, clerics cast Identify at no cost. But in ToEE, every time my cleric of Wee Jas casts Identify, the game takes 100 gold from the party's till. That should not be the way it is, but apparently the PC game doesn't distinguish between Focus and Material components.

Also, the other guy is right; a Wand of Identify costs 375 gp to make, but holds at least 20 charges. If he's getting 40, all the better. But even at 20 charges, that's less than 20 gp per casting of Identify; an 80% off savings! Spugnoir can make wands right away, even when you first pick him up, if you've already installed the current patches (co8 Fan Fix, the temple.dll patch, and the Atari Patch 2.0). Still, it's really too bad that we can't use the Spellcraft skill to attempt to Identify potions, like you can in the D&D game -- skill check DC 25 to Identify potions with Spellcraft. Man, that would make it so much more affordable... I.D.ing every potion after a bugbear battle is a bitch!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  5. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I have the temple.dll fix (don't have the co8 fix), and I can identify potions with read magic spells. Helps a little bit, but I usually just stick with the wands. The best part about those is, you can use them for a while, then sell the used wand (before you expend the last charge), and get full price for it. You wind up making money on the deal!

Our Host!