Domains

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Feb 13, 2013.

Remove all ads!
?

What Domains do you generally use? (Click all that apply).

Poll closed Apr 14, 2013.
  1. Air

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Animal

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Chaos

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Death

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. Destruction

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Earth

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. Evil

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Fire

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  9. Healing

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  10. Knowledge

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  11. Law

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  12. Luck

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  13. Magic

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  14. Plant

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  15. Protection

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  16. Strength

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  17. Travel

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  18. Trickery

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  19. Water

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SenorOcho

SenorOcho Member

Looking at this poll, I'm surprised so many people use the Healing domain, seeing how it's bugged-- cure spells prepped in the domain slots don't get caster level added or something (noticed this when a fifth level cleric cast a cure light from a domain slot for 2, when it should hit for a minimum of 6).

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Okay, I have implemented Sunburst as per the PHB. I have decided that despite the massive AoE, its still not that poveropwered because it only does 6d6 damage against most critters, hardly overpowered for an 8th level spell. In testing (where I threw it at the castle construction site repeatedly) it generally left Jayfie standing and didn't always outright kill the peasants (though it did flatten them). Against Undead, of course, it is quite devestating, but so it should be.

Please go back to THIS thread and download, and test :)

3. Shiningted

Okay, the one person who has tested this and reported back has suggested halving the AoE to 40' (or halving the radius, to be accurate). Please give opinions now or I will just make a unilateral decision (anything from 'yes' to 'no' to 'damage type RAIN OF CHIPMUNKS!')

Also, I was thinking of implementing Lullaby. Can anyone think of an effect in ToEE that would affect will saves purely to do with Sleep? Elven immunity doesn't count...

4. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

IIRC Horrid Wilting had a 60ft radius in ToEE right? I'd probably make it the same as that. 80ft is pretty insane. 6d6 damage isn't anything special at that level, but 80ft radius of blind is very powerful.

5. Krotos

Krotos Member

Thanks for mentioning me! ^^ While I was checking Sunburst on SRD, I noticed that if you enter the Wizard Spell List, Sunburst will be described as having 10ft. AoE rather than 80 after checking its full info. Perhaps that's an inconsistency or Wizards are supposed to have a weaker Sunburst.

@Will saves: Have you tried looking at Crushing Despair / Good Hope? They're pretty much -2/+2 to all rolls, perhaps there's a will save for sleep in there.

6. Shiningted

Well reasoned - 10 points to Ravenclaw. Any advance on 60'?
    I link to the SRD, but I work from the PHB which definitely says 80'. That being said, the inconsistency is in the WotC's own SRD (spell says 80', Spell List says 10'). I am betting it goes back to 3.0. The problem is, an 80' burst makes sense, but if its a globe it makes more sense at 10'. A cookie for the first person to post the 3.0 version as I bet it was one or the other clearly.

EDIT: 24 minutes later and no-one has responded so I did it myself, cookie for me (white choc macadamia for the record).

Here is the 3.0 version from THIS site:
    Note this is a Fire spell - yay me again - and that it used to be 10' but has apparently beenchanged to 80' for 3.5, as well as beefed up to 6d6. Thats my reading of it, others may call it a typo, I dunno. The Spell list says
    so I would argue the Spell List in 3.5 wasn't updated properly. Others would cite this as proof the 80' is a typo, so there you go.

Opinions continue to be welcome, but since it is a Fire spell that does specific damage to Undead, I am going to continue to deal damage as Fire / Positive unless someone presents an authorative reason not to.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

My opinion is that you're reading it correctly.

Personally I think 60 ft is big enough.

Our Host!