Does anyone really use Point Buy?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Jeremiah, Jan 19, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

I am lost, 40 points is not enough to cause any problems, there are 21 skills in ToEE at 4 points assignable at 0 level, you would need over 84 to cause any problems please clarify your request, because I'm not even sure what you mean by SUCK rolls, other than this thread is so frustrating it SUCKs;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Vendegaar: You can cheat by using a character editor, like this.
    * Click the TCE.zip link when you view the linked page above.

PS: Cheaters always prosper!..

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  3. Vendegaar

Vendegaar Cornish Avenger

The point is that I don't WANT to use the cheats. I just want to use what I can roll legitimately. (Part of my Neutral/Chaotic Good complex?)

I have only seen seven categories to use points on listed on initial rolls - eight later. Are you saying that I can scroll thru a bunch more?

OK, I just went back to the game and there is INDEAD a scroll alongside the categories.

I guess you just have to list me as the BLIND (N/C good) whatever. It will just take a while to get used to these 3.5 rules.

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

7? There are 6 ability scores. Ability scores are the only thing that's rolled for. Everything after that is determined by class and ability scores (well, you roll for Hit Points). This why everyone is confused.

Point Buy, which is what this thread is talking about, is when you assign points to your Ability Scores instead of rolling them. I think you're confused and talking about Skill assignments, which has nothing to do with Point Buy.

If this is the case, yes, there are more than 7 skills in the game. You need to scroll down in the skill window.

5. Vendegaar

Thank you, Kalshane, for casting the "remove blindness" spell.

I honestly DID NOT see the scroll thingy next to the skills list.

The VA fixed both of my eyes for distance, but if I don't put on the spec's I sometimes miss things close up.

Now that I know they are there I wonder if it is a good thing to have so many choices. I sometimes think simple is better.

At least now I can roll any character class I want.

Apparently the 3.5 rules have removed the restrictions on having requirements for certain characteristics (High strength, dex, charisma, etc) to qualify for certain classes. Now if they would only allow non-lawful paladins I might be willing to run one. (Cavaliers anyone?)

The program seems to take into consideration what experience the troops have. When I went in search of rainbow rock with a second or third level group I ran into a lot of skeletons and other undead. When I went straight there with my newbys I didn't encounter anything. Is this actually programmed into the game?

6. Libri

Libri Member

Back to the original question. I almost always use point buy now, as the roll reroll till you get what you want does lead to the game getting stale (ie. easy). I do however, use 28 point buy (roll till I see an 11, then switch to advanced and use the cheat to move the 11 over). One of the things I've noticed on my second time through CO8 5.0 is that the game is noticably harder (which is a good thing for me) with point buy and the new updated protos. I also do other things to handicap myself, like limit the druid spells underground (no entangle unless there's plants around for example). Let's face it, with uber characters and the experience of going through this game even once, the challenge just is not there.

My stepson in contrast, consoles in ability scores of 16+ for all stats, starts with the holy avenger and frostbows, and wonders why he finds the game boring, while I am endlessly fascinated with it. To each his own I suppose.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

It shouldn't. There's a couple quests that flagged to go off or not based on party level, but the baddies in any particular map aren't level-dependant, AFAIK.

8. Vendegaar

Getting back to the original question - No I don't use point buy, I would rather use the rolls - and I limit the number of rolls I can take.

I guess I am just a die-hard old school D&D player.

I haven't tried PnP with the 3.5 rules yet, but some of my old D&D buddies have a game going every week in the local area. I guess I'll have to give it a try. Maybe We can have it at my place. I am just under a mile from one of the 10 top small breweries in the world, and we can enjoy suds while we play. We are all WELL over drinking age.

9. Sirian

Sirian The Red Leaf

Rogues get a crapload of SP's at first level but it is super easy to spend them all and wish you had more so I don't see a prob. As far as getting a good set of stats for the rogue in question just keep rollin if you don't wanna cheat you'll eventually get a set you like.:wavey:

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Trying increasing the number of rolls you will accept to get a good set of stats, or you can try increasing the number of re-rolls for new sets of rolls. In other words, try allowing yourself something like 21 rolls to get a nice set of legitimate stats. And, if you don't get whatcha want in 21 rolls, do a cancel on the character generator and start making a new character again for 21 more new rolls.

Prior to rolling a character, determine what kinds of rolls you will accept for new character stats, e.g., one roll of 16, 17, or 18; two other rolls of 13 or more; and three more rolls of 8 or more. It's not cheating because it can be done legitimately in the game as was designed to be in the game. If doing this is not what you want or goes beyond what you will allow yourself, you don't like the point-buy system, and you won't use a character editor, either; please don't complain because it is all we [as in everyone] have to make characters for the game.

Have a nice day!..happy motoring and toeeing.

11. Vendegaar

I am not complaining about not being able to get decent stats using regular rolls. I might try point buy to replicate some of the characters I have used in the past just to be able to generate the same stats. I have converted several hundred of my old character sheets to computer.

My problem as I have readily admitted was just blindness. I just didn't see the scroll thingy
    for using up all my points.

I have about worn out my comments on this subject so I will have to move to a more general area for further discussion of the game. Any suggestions?

Wow. Sell the unidentified figurine to the church for 66 GP and buy it back IDENTIFIED for 2 CP. HELUVADEAL!

12. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

As you can see by all the posts in this thread since you first stated that you hadn't seen the scroll bar, Vendegaar, you are not the only one plagued with intermitent blindness. :p

13. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I personally prefer a point buy system, but end up using the rolling since I think 25 is too little for this game.

I think a 32 point buy would be appropriate. I was wondering if its possible to change the amount of points alotted in point buy somehow. (for one thing, it will make the math much simpler then using the basic/advanced cheat system)

Our Host!