.dll = EVIL

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ugignadl, Apr 16, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Hey all.

I'm not exactly sure what Brad did to the .dll (temple.dll), but back in the day I was up to speed on the .dll hack to fix some problems. I also reluctantly admit to having professional training in windows programming (the special kind of programming where one merditates on the mind-numbing pain inherent in telling windows to do things at a low level).

It seems to me that a .dll dude is really required. But it also seems to me that Brad was that dude. I *really* want to know that people have given contacting Brad a good and hard go before I start bunting around with a .dll I have no clue about the format of.

It would also be helpful if we could send me a copy of his work and notes on the project. Reverse engineering (if indeed he was doing that) these things is a pretty slow business.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I dunno if brad's the dude or not...actually, I should say "we" dunno. Lots of promises; no results. Could be he's secluded himself in a cave someplace to work on the accursed thing; could be he said to hell with it & Co8.

:no:

My gold is on the latter.

3. Ugignadl

OK...

Ted's given me a bunch of information to read about temple.dll, and Moebius' hacks in particular. They are indeed hacks, in the true sense of the word... using his technique, or similar approaches, I'm not sure how much we could accomplish. Sure, there is plenty of untapped potential there... but I was kinda hoping we could decompile/recompile the thing without TOEE.exe GPFing or somesuch.

Anyway, I'll report on what happens with this later down the track after I learn more.

No guarantees.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Since you seem to be game, here's an easy (ha) project for you to start with.

You are familiar with the ToEE_PC_Count_Patcher2 that Dulcaoin provided us? It is a very handy tool. I would like to see it improved so that it can alter the summoned creature limit. You can find details on what all the Patcher does and where to find the summoned creature limit in the .dll in this thread. Post 7 has the info on where in the .dll to find the summoned creature limit. I would advise against allowing that limit to be set to more than 10, though. If you have too many creatures joined to the party and are fighting a large number of enemies, the initiative bar can't hold them all and weird things happen.

Anyway, it's just a small project to get you started. I don't even know if it would be possible to do without the source code for the Patcher. If not, consider making a patcher of your own for the summoned limit.

5. Ugignadl

That's an `easy' project from CB and an `easy' project from Ted...

:errf: Which one do I attempt first? :errf:

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Keep in mind who controls the cookies...

7. Cerulean the Blue

If you knew where those cookies have been, you wouldn't want them.

8. Ugignadl

I maintain my stance that the cookies^V^V^V DLL is evil :goth: .

Ted, do you think a DLL hack *can* fix that problem? If the function ain't firing, it aint firing...as a workaround I have an idea to see if I can write a script (or addon to a script) to make the line fire whenever a boss critter is seen by the characters. That would accomplish the same thing, right?

CB, I have yet to inspect that. Too much :drunk: to be had right now :yes: :yes: :yes: ... had some good fortune last night :dance: (79th then 35th).

9. Shiningted

We are using scripted workarounds for a lot of the other combat voices. If you can't get that one going, don't worry, neither could i! But the function in question seems to (correctly) push the values of the line to say, then call the same subroutine to say the lines that all the functioning ones call. I guess its a trace back to where the boss_monster flag is encountered, if that was ever scripted in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  10. Ugignadl

That's my feeling; that it was never scripted in the first place.

I've mucked around with it for a while now and it doesn't seem as though that function is being called at all...most likely an oversight in TOEE.exe, rather than temple.dll.

However once I decompile this darn thing (bwahahahhaa) I can check for sure :).

11. Shiningted

Well there's no reason we shouldn't hack the .exe. as well ;)

The only problem there is a lot of people use the cracked .exe because they can't get the game to run without it. Others, of course, use the cracked .exe for entirely other reasons... I am not comfortable that a variant of the cracked .exe become an official Co8 release, because while Atari don't seem to mind people finding out where to get it here (because it is genuinely necessary to get certain installs just to function) we shouldn't push our luck.

12. Ugignadl

It could be, if we get a C&D from some Atari rep who comes across this forum.

13. Cerulean the Blue

By the way, I saw Brad on last night, checking out this thread. He didn't post anything though.

14. Ugignadl

That's good news, no matter what way you spin it. The .dll workload is big enough for plenty of people.

15. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

sorry been immerssed in oblivion and guildwars..
    and of course Life..

But i havent lostinterest i did become very disheartend when after some months I thought i had finally cracked the new char classes problem and specificlly the prestige classaddon .. only to find i couldnt get blackguard to be offered correctly due to some ...suppossed triggers that turned out to not be scripted...

I needed a break ..

anyways im back Ill forward my work to someone who actually does low level programming for a living im a Ada c++ fourth/any cunningham.... derivitve ..guy

and what i was doing was a combon of hacks/workarounds and some straight decomp..re write/mod re compile of .dll

sorry for the abscens and silience when got back on i wanted and hoped to see someone had succeded where id fialed...

oh well ...

Our Host!