Discussion of Bug #338

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Daryk, Jun 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ok, am I only the one that hasn't figured this trick out? Not that I don't enjoy some quality time with the die roller...

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Re: Rules Lawyers and ToEE Gurus, Volume 4

Hi Daryk
    The key to the Hybrid ( Die-roll + Point Buy ) character creation is all in the mouse. Here's how you do it.
    1.) Start with the Basic Character creation and roll a set of stats. DO NOT ASSIGN THE NUMBERS TO ANY STATS YET !!
    2.) Click on the Advanced tab
    3.) If you carefully scroll your cursor up and down just right of the up and down pointing arrows, you will see the numbers you rolled in step 1.
    4.) Drag the numbers you rolled into the stat boxes (assign the numbers as you see fit) and use the arrows to modify them.
    To give you an idea of how effective this is here are the stats of a character I created as a test. The first number is the basic roll, the second number is the final stat after the Advanced modification. I did not used the 8 that every stat starts with in Advanced mode for the start of the Intelligence stat instead of the 6 I had rolled. Not a bad Cleric all-in-all.
    S: 15 (16) D: 14 (16) C: 9 (14) I: 6 (13) W: 16 (18) Ch: 9 (12)

One note of caution: Using this technique invalidates your Co8 "Warranty". In other words, if you start having corrupt saves, etc... , don't expect much sympathy from Gaear.

The Royal Canadian

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Thank you, kind sir! I'm off to give it a try now. 7.2 and/or this new machine have given me so much trouble at this point, I'm willing to risk a little more.

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I think I found a new aspect of that bug. I accidentally double-clicked the spot for one of the numbers, and ended up holding a 22! A second double-click reverted it to the original number, and a third brings back the arbitrary number. The highest I've seen so far is an 89, but the totals didn't work out for that one (I couldn't spend exactly 25 points, as it doesn't allow you to spend points outside of the 8-18 range). The lowest I've seen is a 6, so I believe it truly is something arbitrary.

5. Runiel

Runiel Member

Yes, that's another part of the glitch. If you double-click on that space the number that appears is the number of rolls you had in the "Roll Screen". For example, if you roll your stats 99 times and then switch to the advanced screen and double-click on one of the stats numbers it will switch to 99. While that might seem tempting, it will mess up your game because it will crash with characters with stats that high.

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah, thanks! I've had no trouble yet with the 22, though I'm not past Hommlet on this play through. I'll be on the look out for crashes.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The game engine has problems with stats that exceed 40.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah, my question was split from the other thread. I was about to say I didn't remember starting one...

And thanks, sirchet! I'll keep that in mind.

9. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Spoilers ahead!

I'd just like to point out that the avatar of Iuz has a Strength of 42, the avatar of St. Cuthbert has a Wisdom of 45, and using the Co8 team-made console codes

from t import *
    uberizemajor()

gives all of the characters in your party the following stats:

Strength 210
    Dexterity 100
    Constitution 45
    Wisdom 100
    Charisma 100

I have tested characters with the above stats and the game works fine.

I've never understood why players like to cheat in computer games. Having a character with perfect stats would make the character too powerful and remove all individuality or uniqueness from the character, as well as make the game too easy to play.

The only reasons that I can think of to justify cheating are for testing purposes, and to be able to progress further in a game that is too difficult (for this particular game, the only combats that could be considered too difficult would be the combats against the 4 avatars of Iuz or the 4 avatars of St. Cuthbert (2 combats that are insanely difficult (if not impossible to win without cheating)).

My 2 cents' worth.

gazra

10. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

You left out intelligence which is the crunch statistic particularly for character generation

11. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Did you level that test character? It may work alright though, since the main problem I've heard for characters with cheaty-high stats was that level-up broke due to not having enough skills to put points into.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I've also seen stats this high give negative saving throw stats and general wonkyness.

By all means play the game as YOU would play it, it is for your enjoyment, just saying that when these high stats give you trouble ... I'm gonna like saying the "I told you so". ;)

And it's like erkper said, the weirdness may take a few levels to raise it's ugly head.

13. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The 4 Iuz fight is exactly what I have in mind for this group. Nothing I tried with my normal crew worked. The closest I ever got was barely scratching one avatar.

14. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Actually, I didn't leave out Intellignece. The console code does not modify your characters' Intelligence values (probably for the very reason that erker mentioned (i.e. so levelling up is possible due to not having too many skill points to allocate).

Well, I levelled up one character (with uber stats) from level 1 to level 2, and then went around 1-hit killing monsters. The game seemed to be working normally. I examined the character's Fortitude save, Reflex save, and Willpower save and they were all displayed correctly in the character's inventory window. I have no intention of playing such modded characters any further than that because the only reason I was using such characters in the first place was for testing. But I thank you for the invaluable information and I accept your point that characters with such high stats could end up experiencing problems later on in the game. I did experience one severe bug when using such uber characters - if I entered the following console codes

from t import *
    t()
    uberizemajor()

then whenever I tried to loot a corpse or click on an item in any of my characters' inventories, my game permanetly stopped responding (crashed/hung/locked up)!

I've been reading a lot of posts where other players have stated the ingenious methods that they used to defeat the 4 avatars of Iuz or St. Cuthbert, so I now feel confident that I will be able to defeat them without the need to cheat (well, I will be using either Fragarach or Scather, which I consider to be cheating when using those weapons).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
Our Host!