Disable Fog of War

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Magnakai, Mar 17, 2024.

Remove all ads!
  1. Magnakai

Magnakai Member

Hi, just wanted to say i followed this guy's method (link below) to disable fog of war on all maps, and it seems to work. at least in the tutorial. apparently the fog of war shares some relationship with setting ur res to 1920 x 1080 in toee.cfg, but i do not really understand the details. Also, i do not know if this solution is limited to maps in OC only or if maps in other modules/introduced later would also be affected. Hope this helps.

i am playing with co8 New Content 8.1.0 and no Temple+.

https://www.gog.com/forum/temple_of_elemental_evil/running_toee_with_full_hd_1920x1080_resolution

I have included my MapList.mes in case you do not want to do it urself. I don't think i made any mistake while going through the file, but... use at ur own risk.

Attached Files:

2. Buffed Rabbit

Buffed Rabbit Established Member

I assume that this does what a level 5 character could do with the spell: Clairaudience/Clairvoyance. Does it reveal everything on the map, or it removes the black mist that covers the background? I think you can remove the black mist with a setting option.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I only ever cast that spell once and for memory it just gave you a view of one spot on the map (unfogged) for a little while. Interesting spell, probably no-one uses it. The sort of thing you could really write puzzles around.

4. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

The way it currently works (on my machine, with the latest Temple+) is completely disabling the fog on the whole map for the spell duration (or until you reload or map change).
    One of the most broken spells, honestly. If there are no walls on the map, you can attack enemies which are miles away from you with spells like Fireball and you won't get any answer because the combat immediately stops after your turn as the enemy is too far away.

5. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Yeah, I was quite surprised that it did that when I tried it out, too. Is that something Temple+ changed, or does it actually work that way in the original game?

The other thing I noticed (I think) was the game wouldn't allow me to target locations the caster couldn't currently see, which is presumably the whole point of the spell.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I am probably misremembering, I doubt Temple+ changed things. Once you've played the game a few times and know the maps backwards, you'll never cast it again. A pity.
    Well, in a combat simulator, you're going to use it for that, its more of a RP thing I guess that gets a little nerfed in a computer game. As I said, a pity, but then I am no different than anyone else who rarely or never used it.

7. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Even for combat it could be useful to see around a corner, or behind a door or something (if it did have limited AoE). But I don't think you can use it like that except by already having line of sight and then running away.

You might be thinking of the infinity engine. That does have a spell that lets you click anywhere and see what's happening in a small radius. The problem is that they screwed up, too, and all ranges seem limited to the character's normal sight radius (regardless of what they say). So, you can't use the spell to launch a long range attack. Your party will still just run into relatively close range before doing anything. So it's not very useful there, either.

Our Host!