DH / Hommlet quests

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Jun 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Re: Nulb quests

Will check.

Maybe for bad reputation, but then it is Nulb and people there are more likely to turn a blind eye to a bit of cheating.

Will check Tolub.

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I was wondering if there is any difference between not installing DH and not activating it through Lila.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Not that you'd see within game. It's the files in the background which change when DH is installed.

The original thinking behind putting major additional content as an option when installing was so that people couldn't accidentally trigger it and then have a game they no longer wished to play on aesthetic grounds.

Is that what you're getting at Basil or have I misunderstood your question yet again? :)

4. Basil the Timid

Is the DH quest incomplete? I met the relatives and Saduj starts his very weird dialog. There is a part where dialog choices 1,2,3 are "......" and choice 4 is "WHAT?" Are those some kind of placeholder?

Also, the dialog doesn't seem to make sense unless you are "Nuetral" (bad spelling in dlg) and have met with Gweeno. I think my party did neither if I remember correctly.

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

When you kill Saduj and take the Sandlewood Box, the quest is essentially complete. You can tell Lila, who gave you the quest, if you want.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

1, 2 and 3 are what are professionally known as 'beat panels'. Click HERE for an explanation, and HERE for a similar example (note that DH predates that. If I run into David Morgan-Marr in some local Sydney pub, I'll drop a giant frog on him for plagiarising me). Interestingly you are only the second person to ever ask about that, which I take to be a positive thing :)

If you don't get anything in DH, its probably an Ultima reference :)

7. Basil the Timid

Thanks for the explanation. It's humor was obviously lost on me, but at least I could appreciate the Warcraft II voices. "Hello" - that was a good laugh!

How does Gweeno fit into everything? Why the "Neutral" requirement in that dialog?

Can specific wandering monster encounters be triggered to occur after certain events? I'm not sure if it was dumb luck or "fate" that my party ran into Zaxis after Ima's note was found. Perhaps Gweeno could be triggered to occur as well.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. GuardianAngel82

I think Gwenno has no alignment requirements, and is triggered by the Nulb component of DH.

I am ashamed to admit I've played only Ultima 4. "You" are "the AVATAR". Gwenno and Iolo are transient members of your party, as is Saduj (Judas), who is a bad guy working for Lord Blackthorn. He's sort of an early Lareth. The wierd language ("Oh merry, art thou drunk again?") is from the game.

I think we need Shamino as a joinable NPC. Or some of the others. :thumbsup:

Not so much the artwork.

Hey! Is there a way to play these on Vista?

9. Basil the Timid

How is Gwenno related to Nulb? Who is Shamino?

10. GuardianAngel82

What is the one DH quest in Nulb? That triggers Gwenno. (I think.)

Shamino is a fighter in U4.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hmm, should try that. I don't see why it wouldn't run in compatibility mode, unless it's one of those naughty games that has trouble running on XP. Not to my knowledge though.

Really? I've always thought it was the battle with Saduj - I've never had the Gwenno encounter before the battle... (not like it's that great of an encounter anyway; I'm yet to find use for a character with a repeating crossbow proficiency)

12. Basil the Timid

Have you noticed that NPCs don't need Exotic Weapon Proficiencies? They don't take penalties from ANY non-proficient weapon. So, if you choose to utilize this exploit, the only EWP that is useful for NPCs is Bastard Sword.

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Didn't know that, actually. And I haven't taken any NPCs in my last playthrough either... But then again, I've played TOEE too many times to use any kind of exploits, ruins the fun...

Also, I normally use just one ranged weapon user, and it's most likely a fighter or a ranger with a longbow... I don't like crossbows that much.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

You, sir, are a barbarian. :rant: You are describing Ultima V. In U4, Shamino was very definitely a Ranger, Blackthorn and Saduj had not yet come about, and Gwenno did not join your party. Shamino is also the only character who appears in all the Ultimas (other than Lord British and possibly Chuckles) and U7 - Serpent Isle revisits what happened to Shamino's old holdings from U1.

The Gwenno encounter is indeed triggered by handing over the curette from Nulb. If you just lug it around in your pack and only give everything to Lila at the last minute, then you may indeed only get the encounter after you have met Saduj and Elisteria.

And the Neutral line has nothing to do with nothing.

15. GuardianAngel82

Sir you are right, I had to go in there and look at the box. I WAS playing Ultima V so long ago on my C64. I stand before humbled and humiliated. :blush: (Uh...what does me being a barbarian have to do with it? So I burn a little, plunder a little, pillage a little, rape a little...Okay, I rape a LOT. Still...)

But sir, you obsfucate. I accuse you of leaving the great Shamino out of your mod! What say you to THAT? :rant:

Our Host!