DH / Hommlet quests

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Jun 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I reloaded 5 more times and FINALLY was able to meet all four tenants and complete Sunom's quest.

Should I check for other nearly empty map folders and move MOB files from Co8 to TOEE, or am I asking for a different kind of trouble?

2. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

FYI, I'm playing through with 5.0.5 following the instructions as written and I had no problem finding the miscreants. BTW, I don't know if it's Troika or Co8, but the music for the deviant halflings absolutely rocks. Whatever it is, it reminded me of The Pixies.

--thearioch

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'll just say it is the same song as you hear in the Clarisse encounter (which is famous, recognisable and relevant, which is why I used it) but 30-odd minutes further into the song.

Basil - my apologies. You did mention you are not using Front End which is why you wanted a manual 'clear cache' - in that case, you should not have any sort of Co8 folder at all. Everything in Co8 should be copied into your ToEE folders, I guess.... anything in a 'Co8' folder will not be accessed by the game without FrontEnd.

I don't not use FrontEnd, can someone else who doesn't use FrontEnd give some advice at this point?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  4. Basil the Timid

Ok, this is very weird. I am 100% sure I am playing Co8 without Front-end. I have both a Co8 module folder and a ToEE folder. I know it is playing of the latter. I just need to make sure that the Sunom situation was the only disparity.

I have noticed that the ToEE folder does not contain several map folders, such as Hickory Branch, but it does contain things like Verbobonc and Viscount and Underdark (which I assume were copied from Co8). The Co8 folder contains 9 vignette folders, but I thought those were not changed from the original.

Yes, I could do a more careful removal and reload clean but, as you all probably know, I've had a hell of a time to finally get it to work. I do realize though that I may, in the end, be forced to do so.

Thus, my current plan is to copy the Co8/maps folders to the ToEE maps folders but say "NO" to any overwrites. Are there other folders I need to consider? Any comments?

Thanks

5. Basil the Timid

ok, I am pretty damn sure I know what is going on now. I did a totally fresh reinstall, installed 5.0.0 WITH Front-end, could not get past Jade's Market. The Co8 folder does NOT contain the vignette folders! Thus, CTD. Let me know if my diagnosis is correct. If so, any theory as to why this is happening is welcome.

I believe my past problems with Sunom were caused by my NOT properly following the instructions for installing 5.0.5

If you are not using the frontend ToEEFE you MUST...
    Open the modules folder and rename the folder "Co8-5.0.0" to "ToEE" before adding these files to your installation folder.

Wish me luck and PLEASE reply if you have any suggestions.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This conclusion is in error. The Co8 5.0.0 modpack does not contain the map folders for the vignettes, because nothing was modded for the vignettes for that release. The 5.0.5 CMF release, conversely, does contain those folders because the vignettes have since been modded. However, the only change made to them was to reassign what music plays on those maps. This is an utterly insignificant change as relates to game functionality/stability. i.e., it wouldn't affect the issues you're having whatsoever.

This is technically wrong as well. If you are installing the Co8 modpack without the front end option selected, the installation utility will automatically overwrite the Co8 files into the appropriate game folders. It doesn't install the Co8 modpack as a separate module. So if you've properly installed a non-front end Co8 modpack, there shouldn't even be a folder called 'Co8-5.0.0' in your modules folder.

Some of your problems may be arising from trying to install the 5.0.5 CMF patch into your module-free ToEE directory, because admittedly the CMF patch is set up to accomodate a front end installation. In that case, you should manually copy all the folders from the 'data' folder in the patch to your data folder in your ToEE directory (and overwrite when prompted), and copy all the folders found in your 'modules\Co8-5.0.0' folder in the patch to your 'modules' folder in your ToEE directory (and overwrite when prompted).

7. Basil the Timid

Thank you so much!! I still wish I knew why I can't get past Jade when using Front-end, but I suppose I will have to give it up.

Also, my quotation of the CMF 5.0.5 instructions for non-Front-end losers like me came from its readme file.

8. Basil the Timid

Gaear, or anyone else, I do not understand why there is another temple.dll in my module directory. Do I need to use it to overwrite the one in the root directory? Or is it accessed as is?

Also, 5.0.0 saved games can or can not be used when upgraded to 5.0.5 (The Readme says no but I thought I read something else that says yes. I can't even remember my own experience).

I am planning to clean install but haven't decided whether or not to use 5.0.5 this time. Reinstalling is always risky for me.

9. Basil the Timid

ok, I'm getting the impression that I am supposed to have both; which one gets patched (e.g. max hp, et al.)

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The temple.dll in your root folder is the one the game uses.

The temple.dll in the modules folders - whether the Co8 one, or the KotB one or the original one - is the one FrontEnd swaps in as you play whichever module you are playing.

11. Basil the Timid

Ok, I thought I would test out Spugnoir's Charm Person spell on Corl for the hell of it. I discovered that he cannot be Charmed. I tried to initiate combat with the spell to avoid the -5 penalty for attemptin in combat. I tried Dazing, Dooming, and then Charm to no avail.

I suppose that nothing is to be gained by Charming him, but I don't like rigged encounters. Or perhaps there is a problem with that particular spell. Bugs are fine so long as they are known.

12. Basil the Timid

Once I learned how to use the proto editor and read the dialog files, I learned how the social skills are not based on a die roll, but that the skill modifier is taken as a fixed value to determine NPC reactions.

IMHO, a face-man is very important, and even more now with the new Traders mod

13. Basil the Timid

Re: DH / Hommlet / Nulb quests

I read in the readme file that the DH quest makes paladins fall. I thought even starting it knowing that the coven summons fiends, etc... would be enough, but apparently not.

Also, I guess taking Otis' stuff from his stash doesn't cause any moral dilemma either.

Ah, and using my other PC to recruit Zert after the paladin already sensed his aura does not cause any troubles.

But, when the paladin suggests to the carpenter that he must be "plowin' a barren field" made him fall. Perhaps if he suggested he was shootin' blanks then no such problem.

What's the deal?

In Nulb, my LG party couldn't get any "service" until I consoled out the LG prejudices in the .dlg. Damn that was funny between the monk and Mary's little lamb - obviously not of the same violent stock as Black Jay's (wtf). But I wonder, wouldn't killing Ophelia allow for different dialog options with the girls? And hopefully bring down a can of whoop-ass from the guild. Instead, two naked girls attacked an armed to the teeth adventuring party. Ditto with Mona and Serena - options are too restrictive (but I like the Meleny trade for Evils).

I got the curette, but now I noticed there are two Morgauses: one across from the Snake Pit and one outside the herbmonger's.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  14. Basil the Timid

Nulb quests

While trying to figure out what my Paladin would do in Nulb, I figured liberating slaves would be appropriate. However, the dialog does not allow me to save both Jenelda and Riana. Not a big deal, but it is peculiar.

Should there be any prevention or bad reputation due to Mage Armoring and Shield of Faith your champion who takes on Tolub? After brawling with Tolub, and only when losing, the dialog allows discussions of Bertie's situation even though the gay blade is already in my party.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  15. Basil the Timid

What ever happened to the Conscientious Objector's Download? I did a search but nothing came up.

Our Host!