DH / Hommlet quests

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Jun 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I have a Neutral Evil party and I am wondering why I am having trouble with some quests.

I can't find Sunom's tenants upstairs day or night. The logbook shows the quest as activated.

Corl just stands there after I catch him in Jay's yard. My only dialog choice is to send him home. Is killing him the only way to complete the quest? It seems that there should be some way to uncover his motives.

I followed the DH walkthrough and caught the courier who simply says I should barter with Gremag and Davl. I have no other real dialog options to "strong-arm" him. But, if I kill him for no reason, the party reputation is something like "Purveyor of Justice".

I have no dialog options with Fruella - day or night - except for her "what do you want?" Is there someone else I have to talk to first so she will lighten up?

Thanks for the help.

2. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

Does the person you have initiating dialogue have the appropriate ranks in social skills, and a decent charisma modifier? :)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Try clearing the map cache re the tenants.

4. Basil the Timid

My front man has +6 Diplomacy. He almost always does the talking.

Map cache?? I don't use Front End. Do you mean the map1-int10-weaver-upstairs folder? There are 22 MOB files - delete all of those?

Thanks for the help.

5. Tyrannar

Tyrannar Wanderer in the dark

Try using FrontEnd

6. Shiningted

I'd say 'rtfm' but there seems to be some dispute whether the DH Guide is still in the download.

To manually clear the map cache, go to modules / Co8 5.0.0 / maps. There should be a bunch of folders and gibberishly-named files in there. Delete the files but NOT the folders. (Or, alternately, go to that map folder you mention there - map1-int10-weaver-upstairs - go up one level and delete the gibberishly-named files).

This forces the map to recompile, so new stuff gets recognised. Otherwise, the map just runs from 'memory', so to speak, and new stuff gets ignored.

This will also make the game start slower that first time after you do it but that is normal, the game is recompiling the maps.

7. Basil the Timid

No ideas about Corl, the courier, or Fruella? Strange that she's the marrying kind if there's a dude cohabitating with her.

I deleted the MOB files in the aforementioned folder. You said "Go up one level" but there are just other folders, which you said not to delete.

As for Sunom, I passed time until evening downstairs, checked upstairs - nobody. Then I killed her family to see if the tenants would come down and join the fray - nope.

8. Shiningted

Ummm, I didn't say 'delete the MOB files'. Those are the tenants. I said go UP one level and delete the files with gibberish names in modules / Co8 5.0.0 / maps.

Feel free to reinstall the Co8 patch at this point. You won't have to start a new game though.

9. Basil the Timid

OK. All seems well with Fruella now - just waiting for the right time to tame that shrew.

I also deleted the correct files this time but Sunom still has no tenants. The quest has definitely been activated and I checked out the place early evening and before midnight. Is there some requirement I need to meet first? Should they not be there during the daytime?

Also, I approached Corl (hemlock) and Rocutio (Trader's messenger) with my +5 Intimidate Sorceror. What kind of conversation should they have with me.

Thanks to any who assist.

10. Basil the Timid

I should also have said that I also approached them with my +7 Diplomacy Cleric - No diff.

Could the problem I have finding the tenants have something to do with the fact that I am using 5.0.5 without Front-end?

11. Shiningted

No, probably not. Not sure why it isn't happening: there have been reports like this in the past, but they have generally been fixed by clearing the map cache and I have never been able to replicate them. Sorry :shrug:

12. Basil the Timid

Let me double-check something: you said to clear the strange named files in modules / Co8 5.0.0 / maps; shouldn't it be those in modules / TOEE / maps because I am not using Front-end?

There aren't any strange files in that Co8 / maps folder, only in the TOEE one. I think this may be the source of my earlier misunderstanding with you.

Since the TOEE maps folder gets refilled with those files after I delete them, I think I am deleting the correct ones. Or am I not? Do tell, oh wise one.

13. Basil the Timid

Limited Success!! I moved all the MOB files from Map 10 (Weaver's) from Co8 to TOEE. I found one small red dude upstairs doing summersaults. No real dialog options. Killed him. Took a light crossbow. Went downstairs and nobody mentioned my reward.

Were the above details of the encounter correct? What do I do now?

Also, the group subdued Corl outside Jay's place, took his stuff and went to his house that night and the following morning. Corl denies everything and his father wants proof. His son's armor and the hemlock isn't good enough I guess.

May I ask if Corl is part of a larger conspiracy? Yes or No is fine (hints welcome too). I just hate wild goose chases, which is what I am afraid it is.

Thanks.

14. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

That one is, unfortunately. The Corl line seemed like it was destined for something more, but it does fizzle where you're at. :(

Maybe the project to ramp up Hommlet will finish up the Corl line :D

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually there is more to the Corl scenario, which you can learn later in the temple stage of the game. But it's not some earth-shattering 'reveal' or anything like that. ;)

There may indeed be some tweaking of the Corl/Black Jay's sheep situation. We'll see. :)

Our Host!