Darley Questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 20, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

I've recently been playing with an evil party, something I don't normally do, and decided to bring in Darley the Sorceress since she fit the theme of the party. She's a good backup caster, especially when you add Empower Spell and Fireball at 12th level. But I also have a couple of questions. Why doesn't she have any 0 level spells, she starts as a 10 level sorceress?? What does her necklace do?? It can't removed, much less sold while she is alive and I just haven't had the heart to kill her to find out.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It looks like her necklace raises your max dexterity bonus.

NPC sorcerers are problematic in ToEE. The most spells any unjoined NPC can have memorized is 20, so with high level characters you don't want them to be wasted on low level spells. Sorcerers aren't supposed to work that way, so in essence they are really more like wizards in ToEE due to those limitations. (When modders make an NPC sorcerer it's usually just a wizard masquerading as one, e.g. Queen Tarah.)

I suspect that if you don't give an NPC sorcerer any spells of a given level, the game may not know that its proto can use them.

3. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Darley is neither a wizard nor sorceror; she is a demon. To make her a joinable NPC in ToEE, some approximations were (apparently) made.
    Sure, you can fill her slots :roll: after she joins your party, but this is her AD&D PnP entry:

Darley
    When encountered, Darley appears as a comely human female clad in robes. She is
    friendly, and claims to be a magic-user. She will eagerly join a party if invited, and will behave perfectly for at least two days of adventuring to allay any suspicions.
    Darley is an alu-demon who was once part of a demonic faction allied against luz. The group was utterly defeated, of course, and its members scattered, banished, or imprisoned. Darley is one of the lucky ones, allowed to wander here in the nodes.
    Darley fakes spellcasting gestures and sounds, in conjunction with her spell-like abilities, to bolster her magic-user image. She can use any of the following abilities up to once per round, each up to three times daily at 12th level ability: charm person, ESP, shapechange (to humanoid form of same size & weight), and suggestion. She can also use dimension door once per day. Her vampiric touch inflicts 1-8 points of damage, and cures herself of 1-4 at the same time.
    Darley's true form is very similar to her human one, with the small addition of vestigial horns and small bat-like wings. She will retain human form indefinitely to keep up the masquerade.
    Darley:
    AC 5
    MV 12 "/12" (MC:C)
    AL- CE
    HD 6 + 2 hp
    #AT 1 or 1
    D by weapon or 1-8 (touch)
    SA spell-like powers, vampiric touch, SD 30% MR, magic or iron weapon to hit, touch cures 1-4 points, SZ M (5'), XP 3000 + 14/hp
    Str 13 Int 15 Wis 9 Dex 10 Con 16 Cha 14

Our Host!