D&D Movie Clips: On the Set

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Spike, Jan 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

entertaining enough

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I liked the first link video, the one with the beholder in it.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Whaaaat?

Gnomes are monsters now? Does this mean no more gnome illusionists, or bards?
    Did we completely loose them as playable party members.

btw.......I too liked the beholder interview, funny.

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I'm afraid yes. Now we'll have a bunch of Drizzts and Neeshkas (if you
    played NWN2) running around in the D&D universe, no more Jan Jansen
    for you... Oh, you can also forget about druids, bards, and monks they're
    out too. We will have some cool sounding-name class instead. Druids and
    the rest will be published in some other book, as supplementary material.
    Will this idiocy ever end?

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

After watching those movies last night, I looked up as I could find about 4E and from what I cold find about it, it seems quite good, better than I expected. I found lots of links and other bits and pieces but the following link seemed to have the most information on the subject. http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e

7. sirchet

Thanks Cujo,

I'm not liking what I've read so far. I sure hope it's just me miss-interpreting what is meant when they speculate.

I'd like some concrete specific information on classes, races, restrictions and changes.
    I hope one of my friends buys the phb when it's released, cause I'm not, not until I've read enough to know if I'm gonna convert to 4E, or not.

8. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

It doesn't look bad...
    But i think it's a cheap move, there has passed little time between the 3,5e and this 4e...not to mention the PHB II in the middle (which already has much of they have done with 4e)...

There are too many books and stuff for 3e and 3.5e to say that it was just "testing"...dunno, the whole things sound TOO comercial. I see the description of new rules as a pnp version of Online games...:roll:

But let's wait and see. Maybe they can come up with something interesting (the warlock sounds good, something similar to what i do in my pnp games, since there isn't THAT much diffrence with the wiz)...in any case, after reading like 50 books of 3e and 3.5e (including Eberron, Dragonlance, Starwars, Ravenloft, etc -funny, i've readed almost nothing of Greyhawk-), i can say that most of they present as new in 4e, it's already available in 3e & 3.5...

Btw...did you noted that the first pregenerated adventure is called "Keep on the Shadowfell"?:eyebrow:

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Now thats something I'm a little worried about. After spending some time recently talking to a friend about the differences between dnd and WoW and from what I've read I got the impression that some of the developers of dnd 4E have spent to much time playing WoW or other MMORPGs.

10. sirchet

I got the same impression when reading his blog. I think MMORPG thinking should not be included when designing a new DnD concept.

11. Half Knight

Cos making a pnp version of a MMORPG it's pretty stupid...
    "Why should i use a silly paper sheet, when i can do exactly the same and better and have graphics and all the s#!+??" would be a the answer of a online player...and it doesn't lacks logic. And honestly, boys today prefer the things easy, served in a plate.

But we, the old dinosaurs, read books, draw our characters and like to use the head and imagination...we find more fun in DOING the roleplaying and crafting & creating rules and what's not, than actually playing...much like Co8 modders ;)

Well, i've played Wow, but i get to lvl 60 (the maximum) and get bored...
    But that served me as a good source for my pnp gaming. ;)

Some MMORPGs have good ideas, easy to implement in D&D. I recall a variant rule for D&D to attach magical gems in weapons and armor, much like WoW...

And now...that thing of fighters and rogues having "powers"...the Warlock class, specialized in summoning and curse enemies...the drangonkin race...too much i think, they're EXACTLY as WoW.

But let's wait, maybe something good came out from this. After all, 1º and 2º Edition players said the same about 3ºEd, and IMO, the game turned out better.

And if not, there's tons of 3.5 books, and the system it's really adaptable. ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  12. Zombiemonk

Zombiemonk Member

AGREED.

I posted a comment to some idiot in the gnome/tiefling video who tried to pass this off as "nothing much".:

My reply:
    =======
    I think it's due to the newbies populating the hobby nowadays. In 2nd edition, it was all drizzt fanboys who jumped on the D&D bandwagon when the Icewind Dale books came out and they all demanded to be Drow. Now it's punks who play DDO or NWN and want to be planetouched.

It's a shame, because I had a half dozen Gnome characters, my most used race. (Two monks, a fighter, a sorc, a ranger, and a cleric)

6 of my characters must now retreat to lairs and have badger minions? This is progress?

========

D&D has been in a downward spiral ever since TSR lost it. I know, it was fun for all of us to replace the S with a $ and whine about them...but once the collectible card game freaks got a hold of it, I knew it was dead.

Letting non-humans be Paladins, less restrictions on multi-classing, universal experience table...3rd Edition would have been totally unplayable were it not for the feat system...which actually saved it in my eyes. This 4th Edition, however, is another story entirely.

It's all about them selling it to the kids, the punks, NWN players and the Xbox generation. So they'll dumb it down, then blow up their most used and most beloved setting (Faerun/Forgotten Realms) and make it an emo, angsty, mad-max rip-off so all the black-haired goth kids can be a horned teifling and talk like sephiroth.

Yeah for progress!!!!

I played WOW for two weeks in the summer of 2006. It was, by far, the worst MMO I've ever played. (the best being DAOC) It was barely even passable as an RPG. So simplistic, so banal, so bland, so emotionless, so incredibly boring...the only reason I can see that it has become so successful is because people use it as a modern day replacement for IRC. It's just another form of virtual communication. the game is just there so you can do something while waiting for buddies to log on. Not that the "game" is very challenging.

WoW is the downfall of the modern PC RPG.

good for casual gamers or young people uninterested in dice rolls though.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  13. Half Knight

:aaaa:

Indeed.
    As a matter of fact i do exactly that, in the end. Just logged to see if some of my friend was there.
    Tho the graphics are awesome, i used to do flying hippogriff trips, just to see the landscape and take snapshots..

The most interesting feature, was all the crafting stuff, like the skinner-leatherworker "combo"...sadly it was the most forgotten feature too, with those skills almost useless due to all the flashy items.

And yes, "the collectible card game freaks" have made it just another "flashy" game

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I started playing D&D back when I was an undergraduate at Texas A&M in 1975/6. Back then, TSR published miniatures wargame rules (I still have my copy of Tractics(?)) somewhere. There was a set of rules for medieval warfare called Chainmail. Then came D&D in a 3-book box set, with 3 expansion books. You usually had to use AH's Outdoor Survival for the outdoor maps. Non six-sided dice were impossible to find. Every game was 90% imagination, and you had to have an IQ of 130+ to even care. There were no modules (at first), no miniatures (except humans), etc. We had a blast!

Then came AD&D to dumb everything down and ruin everything (Montie Haul!). Except there were 10 times as many players (girls!), campaigns were a lot easier to start and run, and you could even play by yourself if you were stranded in the wilderness (Texas).

We still had a blast.

1. 3.5 ed stuff is about to get cheaper.

2. 4 ed stuff will be the same plastic pieces, just new cardboard and paper.

3. Wait for 4.5 ed before you replace everything.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

They have said there won't be a 4.5ed of D&D - specifying the next version after D&D 4 will be D&D 5.

Our Host!