!!! D&D info - Saturday night on SciFi !!!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by krunch, Oct 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

IMOs about the movie: Dungeons & Dragons 2, Wrath of the Dragon God

the special effects were real cool looking...expecially the cgi script for the dragon at the end of the movie

the movie seemed to rush too much through the story and really did not focus much on conflicts and fight scenes - in general, great fight scenes make a good movie better

the movie seemed to suggest, at least to me, the longsword used by the fighter hero was magical, but not a type of very powerful magic sword - maybe a +2 longsword - would have been nice if they did more with it

the cleric, obviously, had a super powerful warhammer that was like a magical one-handed miniture maul

the scene where the magman was summoned was interesting - the mages could not control it and it ran around the room touching stuff to start fires

there were lots of things to give a thumbs up in the movie...they should contact those of us here at Co8 for movie mod ideas for D&D 3, should it ever be made

2. Croix

Croix Member

On that thought I'm thinking...............new TV series?

I hear you Lord Plothos. I felt the same way in various parts of the movie. Especially when Melora's spell casting made the screen fuzzy, giving me a headache after seeing this a few times.

I guess they did this for more of a crowd pleaser. If I'm not mistaken this dragon was supposed to be a demigod. I might have taken the bait on, except that the 'inexperienced' sorceress managed to seal him inside an orb.

I agree with this statement except for the part of being pleased very much by this movie.
    Truethfully, I don't think they need to even bother making the film if they cannot give D&D the proper representation deserved (of course this would mean a bigger budget). When I watched this film, it made me feel as if it minoritized us who play PnP D&D and TOEE. They are getting better, but they have still a long way to go.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Yeah but better, they have right hand corners as well as left hand corners. Its the race of fords vs Holdens (I'm a Holden fan, better than those Fix Or Repair Daily's) Bathust is just west of where ted lives but they jump the ditch to come here for Pukekohe. One of drivers for Stone Brothers Racing, Marcos Ambrose, is going to nascar next year. Mark Skaife was king of the mountain again (Greg Murphy crashed :cry: ) A Holden Monaro is a Pontiac GTO in the states altho the VZ Commodore (the type of holden they race) isn't a coupe - made by GM, the new Holden is going to have the same enigne as the Corvette C6.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I think he was talking about the 'Earthsea' movie when he said this.

I too think it's a pilot. That guys sword is something special, possibly keen or something. He smashed a wall with it. But the hammer takes down trees...

"Blessed are the works in nature, providing for those in need...WHOMP!"

This guy was the best character by far, IMO. The rogue, second.

====================

Cujo, Nascar is huge here. I live 20 minutes from one of the most storied tracks on the circuit. I even get to do some driving on it...every once in a while. But not the kind of driving we're talking about.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, I thought the cleric was interesting too. Can you imagine what a disaster his demise would have been in "real" (ha-ha) D&D?

"Holy shit . . . uh . . . okay, we can't have anymore injuries here, people. So, um . . . hand over your weapons. No more fighting."

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Nascar car's abit boring for me - but I only get to watch it on TV now and then, going to the track is so much more fun, they put on a few events at Ruapuna (Drag racing, bikes, FORMULA 3, FORMULA FORD 1600, PORSCHE GT3, V8 TOURING CARS but not V8 supers i'm hoping for the V8 supercars to come to Christchurch)

7. Lord_Spike

You'd think that they'd be able to get a little more done for him, like ressurection or something. Hell, they had enough bits & pieces to work with...

8. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

The funny thing is, the clerics demise came after an add for D&D that said something about keeping the cleric alive.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Nod. It was strange. I thought the cleric being killed was bad for the movie. A resurrection being prerformed would have been a good excuse to add some more wild graphics in the movie, too.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It was nice that the makers of the movie took in to account the number and particular spells the wizard had prepared before going on the mission to save Ismar. When asked about casting teleport, she said she only had two teleport spells prepared and was not able to cast it a third time.

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I wouldn't say that was as good as Conan, but that was a fine movie. Show's what you can do with a good cast. Similar to Christopher Lambert's Beowulf (well the whole Beowulf myth really) except unlike Lambert's movie, it wasn't complete crap :p Loved that bit near the beginning where the Viking translated his language into Latin, then Omar Shariff did it back, so they could understand each other.

As for the touring cars: Spike, imagine Nascar sized vehicles negotiating a formula 1 track with twists and turns and such. Thats touring car racing, and it is GREAT :D

12. Lord_Spike

O-Kay, people...I have watched the movie in detail this time around, and found three references to Greyhawk Modules therein:

Barek, in a conversation to the Chief Mage, when discussing party composition for the dungeon quest, speaks of the Cleric, Dorian..."He and I were part of the party that stormed The Ghost Tower of Inverness..." {Module C-2, by Allen Hammack}

Later, when the quest is underway, Nim the Rogue confronts Luxx about her barbarian tendencies, provoking a sword-tossing response..."Tell me, Luxx, what did your brother see at the Barrier Peaks that drove him crazy?" {S-3, by E. Gary Gygax}

Finally, when they reach Malek's Tomb and have to decipher the puzzle to enter, Luxx says to Barek..."Remember the Shrine of the KouToa..?" {D-2, by E. Gary Gygax}

There was a lot to like about this, especially when compared to the first movie...may it wither and rot.

Luxx the Barbarian saying..."Come villany; death awaits you!"; Nim the rogue telling everyone to look away, he is "...about to employ ancient secrets known only to the members of the rogue's guild." Then there is what happened to "poor Ona" (the wizard's dove). I actually think this was a figurine of wondrous power, 'cause it went back to porcelain & shattered when it hit the ground. Last of all, the cleric...from his actions when he is first introduced (the shoe incident) to his support of Barek, to his frozen end...it was all right on target. Even the prayer at his funeral was fitting to the theme of D&D...

There the tears of Oerth are dried;
    There the hidden things are clear;
    There the works of life are tried;
    By a Juster Judge than here.

One is reminded of Tolkien by this...overall, I recommend it, as it was fairly entertaining. Not a classic, but with classic elements...and fun to watch.

My rating: :thumbsup:

==================

Conan...a great movie, but it's got a lot in common with LotR. It ain't nuthin' like the books. Gygax added the PC class 'Barbarian' after seeing Conan, trying to make it more like Robert E. Howard's vision.

I'm sure you know that 13th Warrior was written in college by Michael Crichton on a bet that "nobody can make Beowulf interesting" and it was called Eaters of the Dead...otherwise you wouldn't have made the reference. What I like best about it is Cavemen vs. Barbarians & a Bard. Conan was never the wuss he was in the movie; neither was Aragorn. We expected Buliwyf (sp?) to die; and even in death he's a hero.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey, wtf does this have to do with Ted's mod, for chrissakes? :roll:

14. Lord_Spike

If anyone ever asks "who watches the watchers", well the answer is...

...Gaear!

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Wasn't the watchers a television series a long time ago?

Our Host!