D&D Alignment System and your ToEE PCs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Book, Sep 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

As if canines worry about the taste...
    :mrhappy:

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Actually, the ancient Hebrew translated to King James version of Old English, the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" also means the exact same thing as "Thou shalt not commit murder".

It's a simple matter of the language used in Old English. Back then, for example, the word kill was typically used, specifically, in reference to an act of violence commited by and commited with respect to ending human life - not ending the life of animals, trees, fish, and insects. People would not use wording like commit murder, they simply would say the word kill. Someone might say the equivalent of "Do not kill it", but, commonly, the act and result of kill was in reference to human life.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I do not know about the idea of seven sins, unless being referred to as in orginating from catholicism which has distinct views from Christianity.

Major Differences Include...In Cristianity, there are no major or minor sins - sin is sin, rather plain and simple in terms of eternity and status. And, in Christianity, Pergatory is unused because that is where Old Testament saints used to go upon death and believes Jesus took them from that place in the period of time about his Resurrection and has remained unused since as it is no longer needed.

[EDIT]
    -> I must qualify this. There is a total of five places in the Old Testament [ancient Hebrew] and New Testament [Greek] which I am aware of from the original documents of the Bible that refer to where people go when they die when they do not go to Heaven. None of these five places are what is called or referred to as Pergatory as far as I know by the name Pergatory. However, one of the five places is called Paradise (from the Greek of the New Testament - a place of no torture and no suffering). It is a place located in what people would refer to or call Hell. It is this place where the Old Testament saints would go in death and wait for their King to come for them and to take them to Heaven [who the New Testament calls Jesus] and the place called Paradise is no longer needed and, thus, is not used.

-> My perception (and this may not be correct) is the place the catholics refer to or call Pergatory is the place from the Greek text (the New Testament) that is called Paradise.
    [EDIT]

That's enough about this topic for me in this forum, though...this is, after all, a ToEE modding forum and community. (Someone mentioned something which struck me as odd in my thoughts. You know, think about something and type about it?)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  4. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Undead Chosen One

7000 Nukes, B-2? Hey spike - you forgot about Skynet waiting for awaken, you forget about Skynet :D

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

No I didn't...I mentioned it in another thread. Krunch is building it right now somewhere in Florida.

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Actually, It's uninet because it will be universal in scope and beyond anything meager and simplistic like a skynet. Laugh.

[EDIT] Universal in scope means it will also monitor and take control of peoples microwave ovens, televisions, and water heaters, too. LOL.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  7. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Speaking of translations... I don't do that.

I am a native hebrew speaker with an affinity to archaic hebrew.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well baruch ata for that.

For people who feel the need to match these things up, Purgatory is believed to be associated with Sheol.
    <cough>
    No doubt. but in Christianity, and specifically in the New Testament, there is: there is sin which is mortal, and sin which is not mortal (1 Jn 5:13f). "All wrong-doing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal". Ahh, the truth shall set us free :)

As for the 7 deadly sins: 'categorising' sin or virtue is simply a piety aid, its not written in stone. There are numerous places in the Bible this happens, from the Beatitudes to Paul's letters (Gal 5:19f is one example) to Revelations (21:8 etc). But if you really need a biblical basis for it, for memory (Taltamir can correct me) there are 7 distinct words in biblical Hebrew that can be translated 'sin', refering to the different types: sins of commision, omission, defilement etc.

9. Lord_Spike

Gesundheit.

7..yet another good movie.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

7 was also a cute and great lookin' gal, too, from the TV series Star Trek - Voyager.

11. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I've heard stuff like this all my life. Sure, we brought you the dark ages, the Inquisition, three separate Crusades, almost derailed the renesance and at one time had three different Popes simultainiously, each with their own private army. And that makes us not part of Christianity? Give us a break. We're only human. Except for the Pope.

12. Lord_Spike

Perhaps maybe the former pope...this new guy, well...I dunno. BTW, which one of you guys do I need to buy my dispensations from?

13. Shiningted

I can sell you an Indulgence signed by all 3 popes, but it'll cost. As for dispensations, you want something specific or should I leave that bit blank? :p
    My girly's favourite movie :) As for 7-of-9, was that uniform painted on or what???

Not that I approve of that... errr, cover up u hussies!

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Well here's something to have a laugh at, on saturday I want to the mall with my sister and one of my mates to look at new computers (comparing shop prices with internet prices) anyway I spent about 10min driving around looking for a car park but the mall was really busy, so I said to my sister "lets do a mum" (mum's really religous and would pray for a car park) so I said "oh great... lord Erythnul god of Chaos, War and Trickery (the perfect god for public parking) give us a car park..." and my sister pipes up "and I'll sacrifice a chicken to you" and low and behold a car pull out of a park just infront of us

it just shows that you can believe in some thing or not and either way it proves you're right.

I feel so out of place when you lot talk about some show called star trek and about something called D&D.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  15. Shiningted

That poor chick :(

The value (or not) of Parking God is a serious theological topic. I know people who swear by him, I've tried and he's never failed me, but, there does seem something slightly sacreligious about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!