Custom Portraits

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by lord_graywolfe, Mar 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well i have the mes file and then my tga pics for the custom portraits thats it

2. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well i got the portraits to work but it crashed again when trying to check inventory. i reinstalled everything and the game worked perfectly before installing the portraits. i dont think i was ment to have them lol

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

there is a portrait wizard by JHunz over in the sorcerers place website, and some portrait sets that are all ready for downloading. (The female necromancer in Royo's set is hot!)

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

graywolfe -

Please post the exact wording of your .tga files in your PORTRAITS folder.

Also, you do have the latest version of moebius installed, right? For that matter, please list all your installed patches and mods, and the order in which they were installed.

Something's just not right here, and there's no reason this shouldn't be working for you.

5. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok these are the 4 portraits i have in the list exactally as they are there

{0510} {HUFdr_BIG.tga}
    {0511} {HUFdr_MINI.tga}
    {0512} {HUFdr_SMALL.tga}
    {0513} {HUFdr_SMALL_GREY.tga}
    {0514} {HUFdr_MINI_GREY.tga}

{1000} {ELFth_BIG.tga}
    {1001} {ELFth_MINI.tga}
    {1002} {ELFth_SMALL.tga}
    {1003} {ELFth_SMALL_GREY.tga}
    {1004} {ELFth_MINI_GREY.tga}

{1050} {ELMma_BIG.tga}
    {1051} {ELMma_MINI.tga}
    {1052} {ELMma_SMALL.tga}
    {1053} {ELMma_SMALL_GREY.tga}
    {1054} {ELMma_MINI_GREY.tga}

{1500} {HEFpr_BIG.tga}
    {1501} {HEFpr_MINI.tga}
    {1502} {HEFpr_SMALL.tga}
    {1503} {HEFpr_SMALL_GREY.tga}
    {1504} {HEFpr_MINI_GREY.tga}

the patches i have are atari 1 then atari 2 then co8 3-0-4 then temple. as far as i know i have the moebius temple dll. dont remember where i got it but i have one. thanks for the help Gaear.

well Allyx thanks i had the portrait wiz from them and used it but it was no better. Gaear gave me another portrait mes to use and its what i have now

6. Gaear

Well, all your stuff looks fine. Have you ever tried a "radical" uninstall? By that I mean purging everything right down to registry entries. I'm thinking something deep down is causing your game to run atypically.

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i have completely unistalled everything and removed all files and folders that the unistalled didnt get and then reinstalled and downloaded the patches and files again and added them. everything works fine untill i add the portraits, i havent tried the go past lvl 10 yet so not sure about the cap remover, when i add them in they work with everything untill i check inventory and it gives me that error in the temple.dll which i dont understand. i have just downloaded the temple again and will try another complete purge and install and see how it goes. im still waiting for the new bug fix to come out too

8. Gaear

Do you know how to edit your PCs registry, and if so, are you willing to? It can be a somewhat risky maneuver.

The registry contains lines from ToEE and every other piece of software on your system that give it various instructions. (That's the "I really don't know what I'm talking about" explanation -- hope you liked it. ;) ) When you uninstall any program, to my knowledge, many of these instructions remain in the registry. If your registry contains some erroneous instruction - from Vicks & Wedge, maybe? - that is causing a problem with the whole custom portrait thing, a simple uninstall might not correct it, as the instruction may remain from your old install to corrupt your new install.

Deleting every instance of atari/ToEE from your registry would give you a clean slate. However, I have to wash my hands of any responsibility if you decide to do it. Registry tampering is generally not recommended, as it can cause major problems if not done carefully and knowledgably.

So I guess what I'm saying is "Don't edit your registry," (although you may want to consider it.)

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well when i purge the game i dont do an uninstall i use the remove program control in the control panel and it removes everything dealing with the game. i did that and put everything back and still got the same problems. i have however found the problem and fixed and now i have the custom portraits and the game is working great. the portraits i added to the mes file were ok but they never got added to the portlist ids file. once i made sure they were listed there its all worked fine. thanks for your time Gaear.

10. Gaear

Glad you finally got it. Funny I've never modified that file though . . . I guess wonders never cease.

11. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well the portrait wizard adds it to that list for you but ive never had much luck in getting the wizard to work so i add them to the lists myself. i just checked that one today for some reason and that took care of one problem.

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

'bump'
    ok here you go sweet_irony hope this helps you get your pics added to the game.

13. sweet_irony

sweet_irony Member

Thanks! I guess I'll try the Royo set as the BG series pics are kinda over used at this point...

14. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah they are. you can find others that you would have to edit yourself if you look around, like i have a whole folder of velijo and another from TSR .

15. sweet_irony

sweet_irony Member

Like I said, I don't have ANY experience modding so ready-to-use portraits are a must. Even though I can't mod, I want to extend my appreciation for those that do. The progress made on this game...and many others...continues to astound me.

Our Host!