Custom Portraits

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by lord_graywolfe, Mar 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'd try not using the Vicks and Wedge mod and see if the other stuff (level cap remover, more than 5 pcs, etc) work.There may be a conflict, since it seems to be the only thing different you're doing than everyone else.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I agree, I tried the Vicks and wedge mod, It didn't do anything I liked (my clerics black rod turned into a rug) so i got rid of it!

3. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well i figured out the hex editing on adding an extra PC in the temple dll i was just doing it wrong before. i was thinking about getting rid of vicks and wedges anyway since i think everything in it is already included in the other patches and mods except maybe the brothel and i can probally find that somewhere.

4. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

hmmm ok how do you get rid of vick and wedges mod with out removing everything and starting over

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The brothel's in Co8 3.0.4.

In most cases, you "remove" a mod by replacing the modded files with your backups . . . assuming you backed up.

btw graywolfe, if you're so inclined, would you mind zipping up your portraits.mes file and uploading it here so I can take a look at it?

6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok here is my mes file.....ive only made 2 changes on it i added one portrait of my own in place of an original and deleted one of the originals

Attached Files:

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok it must have been vicks and wedges mod cause i removed that and did my mes file over and its working now i have my custom portraits. thanks for all the help everyone i couldnt of done it without you

8. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well i thought i had it all worked out.....everything was working well untill i tried to check someones inventory then the game crashed it must have something to do with the portraits since thats the only thing that i changed....gave me the following error

APPNAME TOEE.EXE APPVER 0.0.0.0 MODNAME: TEMPLE.DLL
    MODVER 0.0.0.0 OFFSET 001dcf59

0x211299da referenced memory at 0x01dc6f18 memory could not be read

i looked in the temple but couldnt find any of that and dont know why the new portraits would affect the temple.dll

9. Gaear

Did you test the game before customizing the portraits, i.e., with just the Atari and Co8 patches and moebius?

If it crashed while checking your inventory, it may be a problem with your custom BIG portraits. I know that if you leave any of the first lines (BIG strings) empty for NPCs in portraits.mes, the game will crash.

Incidentally, I tested with the portraits.mes you uploaded and experienced a fatal hang that was due to your having deleted the info for the first elf entry, so don't do that.

10. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well i dont have any empty places right now. i replaced 2 exsiting ones with mine and added a third at 0050-0054, but i havent got them to work again. not sure whats different this time. i replaced my temple.dll and tried and no error but the custom portraits no longer work. i might purge everything and reload it all again and see if i can get it to work but ive gotten tired of fighting with it lol. everything else works great except that.

11. Gaear

Adding the 0050-0054 might be bad. You've skipped 0040-0044. Also, custom add-on portraits should be added after Half-Orcs at the end of NPCs in slots 3070-4 to 3110-4.

I tested your config (added 0040-0044) and the game went goofy.

You don't have the online version of the game or anything like that, do you?

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

no i dont have the online version as far as i know. i changed my placements and now have my 3 custom pics replacing exsisting ones. 1 elf, 1 human, and 1 1/2 elf and each in the group they belong in. the game is working great but i just cant seem to get the portraits to come up again, ill restart everything from scratch again at some point but not right now cause im waiting to check out the AI/bug fix when it is done.

13. Gaear

graywolfe - just to humor me, could you post all the subfolders in your interface folder?

14. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok ive got CHAR_UI............iventory..........mainmenu_ui....and PORTRAITS

did you want the contents of the folders too?

15. Gaear

What are the contents of your PORTRAITS folder?

Our Host!