CTD on feat selection

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Xellan, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

An extremely mangled error report, hacked up to get it under 100kb.

Attached Files:

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Miscellaneous Error Handling in Win32 API

In the 32-bit API, the API is the same whether you are using Windows 2000 or Windows 98. However, a number of functions will report "not implemented" errors in Windows 98 because they are not supported.

Most Win32 API functions return either True or False, indicating that the function was either successful or unsuccessful, respectively. If the function is not successful (the function returns False), you must use the GetLastError() Win32 API function to obtain the error code value for the thread in which the error occurred...Not all Win32 system API functions set error codes that are accessible by GetLastError(). For example, many GDI routines do not set error codes.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Dr. Watson in Windows 98

When enabled, this tool automatically logs this information to the disk (\Windows\Drwatson\*.wlg), and can display it on screen. Drwatson indicates the program that caused the application fault, the program the fault occurred in, and the memory address at which the fault occurred. You can configure Drwatson to load automatically when Windows starts by creating a shortcut to Drwatson.exe in the Startup folder.
    • Click Start, point to Programs, Accessories, and System Tools, and then click System Information. Select the Tools menu and click Drwatson.
    It may not be an installed component of your Windows 98. If it is not installed, then, you have to add (install) it.

Drwatson runs minimized, and the icon appears in the Taskbar. Drwatson monitors the system for application faults. If an application fault occurs, Drwatson generates a snapshot of the software environment. Click the Details button in the error message box to view the information gathered by Drwatson. To generate a log file,
    • double-click the Drwatson icon in the Windows 98 system tray. Drwatson gathers information about the system, and then the Drwatson dialog box appears.
    When Drwatson is loaded, you move out of the text box by clicking any tab. The Drwatson window closes if you press the ENTER key.

For an application fault that you can reproduce, start Drwatson and reproduce the error. Click Details on the application fault message box, and look in the Diagnosis box to determine the source of the fault.

If the problem is intermittent or not easy to reproduce, put Drwatson in your Startup folder so that it is always running. The Drwatson dialog box provides a text box to provide information about what you were doing when the problem occurred. You should provide which applications were running, and the steps that resulted in the application fault in this box.

Note: Error logging in Windows 98 is suspect to be insufficient - determined after much research on the topic. The best thing to try would be using Drwatson in Windows 98.

@ShiningTed: Hopefully, this helps.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  4. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I agree with one of hte other commentors. if the guy is running windows 98, and his computer has the balls to run toee, he should upgrade. i actually bought a new agp card for my system i had when i bought toee. because my old card woudln't play it.
    even then my system barely played toee.
    so i bought a new system.
    Actually the kicker was not being able to play doom3 but Toee was one of the straws on the camals back.

I was using windows xp home on my old system.

UPGRADE.

5. Shiningted

Thanks Krunch, I have run across Dr Watson before. I'll give it a go.

Happily S_S worked out freom the pic above what the problem is - fixing it is another issue...

6. Xellan

Xellan Member

I just downloaded the 16.0.3 dll, because I saw on the dll fixes thread recently started that it might fix my problem. Sadly, it didn't.

Anything else I might try? Any word on a fix?

7. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

So far the only "fix" is using an older dll or playing
    on Windows XP. :(

8. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Since I don't have a Win98 system to test with, progress is a bit slow on this. I'll try to whip up something dirty on the weekend, but don't hold your breath.

9. Shiningted

There has been some testing going on Xellan, but its a painful process.

Spellslinger sent me something to test a few hours back, I will do that before the weekend is out.

10. Shiningted

W00t w00t w00t! The latest .dll fix worked, well done Spellslinger! :clap: :dance:

Xellan et al, get it from

http://files.co8.org/mods/Win98TEST.rar

and unzip into the Temple of Elemental Evil / modules / Co8 5.0.0 folder (you probably knew that ;) )

Spellslinger, can you please apply that fix to the current KotB temple.dll doing the rounds too :gotmyatte

11. Xellan

Xellan Member

WOO HOO!!!

Thanks for working on this guys! I've leveled up and on my way to bashing monsters once again!

Our Host!