CTD on feat selection

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Xellan, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If someone has a primary partition for their C drive and has a 2nd partition on the same hard drive that is a logical partition, that is absolutely a bad idea.

However, people can have one hard drive with 2 partitions, one for the operating system to be installed and run on while the other partition is for user or program data. In this instance, the trick is to fdisk both partitions to be primary partitions, not have a logical partition for the 2nd partition. This way, if the operating system crashes and the 1st partition has to be re-made, Windows can be reinstalled and the data remains untouched on the 2nd partition.
    * Otherwise using a second partition that is a logical partition, the data has to be copied from the hard drive to a separate storage space and the partition remade, Windows reinstalled, and the data copied back to the hard drive.

Note1: If you have a hard drive with 2 partitions, 1st partition is primary and 2nd partition is also primary, the two partitions are separate - the computer treats both partitions as distinct drive space, just like if you had two hard drives. If you have to remake the 1st partition, the 2nd partition as a primary partition does not have to be deleted and remade when you remake the 1st partition. (It is primary partitions on computers that we love.)

Note2: If you have a hard drive with 2 partitions, 1st partition is primary and 2nd partition is logical, the logical partition is tied in to the primary partition. If you have to remake the primary partition, you lose the logical partition when you remake the primary partition. (It is logical partitions on computers that we hate.)

Note3: Companies who sell mass quantities of computers do not provide an original Windows CD disk with their computers. They would have to add the cost of a new Windows CD from Microsoft on to the price of a computer of which already includes their licensed right to put Windows on their computers...you would be paying for Windows to be on their brand of computer and also would pay for a separate copy of Windows on a CD disk. So, instead, they give you a Restore CD. However, the hard drive from the original install and setup of their brand of computer with Windows on it has a small partition, normally 1 MB or less, at the start of the hard drive. If that partition becomes corrupted, the Windows installed on the computer is destroyed and everything has to be setup from scratch using their restore CD disk. (It is the small partition on these computers that we hate.)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Uh...yeah. :scratchhe I knew we kept you around here for a reason. :nerd:

3. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Huh. Krunch is geekier than I thought. :p

I was always told in CLN that multiple partitions were bad. Even if you have multiple harddrives, you can use Raid 1 (or was it Raid 0? It's been too long...) to 'stripe' them, making it appear as if it's a single harddrive. I never really realized there were legitimate reasons for people to have more than one partition.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

With modern hard drives being large at a low cost (about 1 dollar per GB of storage) and the boot partition (the C drive) with the installed operating system being able to exceed 4 GigaBytes up to the total amount of hard drive space allowing needed storage with all of the user and program data, computers are preferred to have a single partition as a primary partition.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Just nudging this thread back on track...

I exhaustively tested every .dll released after co8.5.0.0, and can conclusively say that as far as my problems go, it is .dll release 11 (eleven) that is the culprit. No .dll before that cause problems for rogue feat selection (not even the rogue feat selection fix .dll, #3 for memory ;) ) while every one after it (including my fluffy pack :( )does just that. I have tried new saves, old saves and brand new games and the results are the same: when a Rogue hits level 3 and has to pick a feat, the games CTDs on clicking the feat button.

Is there anyone out there using Win98 who is NOT getting this problem? Alternatively, are there more folks who have it that wanna say so now?

6. shoprat

shoprat Member

I've mentioned this problem before, but at that time was under the impression it was just a few ppl who got it, but after you mentioned it was just on win 98 I installed the game on my other 'puter which is win xp and the problems not on this computer at all so its definately win 98 specific.(which you already know lol)

7. Jadefang

Jadefang Member

Same for me. Using Windows 98 SE, getting a crash on rogue feat selection.

8. Shiningted

Ok... .dll 11 is the big save-breaking bugger that put Verbobonc on the Worldmap, afaik. It moved a lot of stuff around in the dll to make this possible - our bug is in there somewhere.

This will presumably have to await Spellslinger's return to fix. However, while we are waiting (and to make life easier for him when he does look at it) can anyone make any sensible suggestions as to what the problem could be? Differences between Fat32 and NTFS that could account for it, for instance (unlikely though that seems to me)? Something unique about the way rogues take feats at level 3, perhaps?

PS: Thanks for the feedback guys - we mod for u lurkers :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@ShiningTed: So, when are you gonna apply SP2 to your Windows XP ??? :)

[EDIT]
    You should look at getting and installing updated drivers, especially the motherboard drivers, before applying SP2 for Windows XP.

10. Shiningted

Krunch, before I respond, may I ask you 2 kwik questions:

1) What possible reason could u have for thinking I HADN'T installed SP2, which to my knowledge has been around for years? (since before patch 3 if my memory serves me well - not that I want this thread diverted into a debate on that issue)

2) How on earth does XP service pack 2 help fix a Win98SE-related bug in the .dll, and what part your post constitutes SENSIBLE feedback on the issue?

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

SP3 for Windows XP will not be available from Microsoft until about the 3rd quarter (or a later part) of 2007. If you downloaded and you installed that so-called non-Microsoft preview of SP3, that may be the cause of the problems with your XP.
    report on preview SP3: "Third party software bundled in the download may represent serious threats to your computer. If your copy of Windows is legit and genuine, I see absolutely no reason for downloading this package."

Otherwise, it does not have to be a first install of SP2. It could be a reinstall of SP2. Updating drivers and applying SP2 does indeed fix XP installs having problems or issues, even if XP already had SP2 on it.

I have not used my W98 computer in about one year. I have never seen the error on XP of which I have played ToEE using Co8 5.0.2. The last time I played ToEE on W98 was when Co8 4 was current.

As far as the Temple.DLL being fixed with respect to W98, that will be a task for SpellSlinger when he returns.

In my experience, ToEE plays better on XP than it did on W98. I was merely offering help for you to fix your XP toward you being able to play ToEE on your XP. But, if you do not want to work on it, that would be all you need to say - you are not interested in working on your XP.

Lastly, differences between Fat32 and NTFS should never interfere with, disrupt, or cause problems with files. NTFS does have a security descriptor and some other things like extra properties, but those should not cause a problem. It would seem [to me] to be more likely that W98 does not like an offset used or something like that.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay guys, let's nip this one before it really gets started.

Krunch is just trying to be helpful in his way. It's great to have a tech guy around to answer questions, and the Cap'm has been very helpful recently in this regard in other threads here in the ToEE forum.

That said . . . krunch, you sometimes have a way of pushing people's buttons without really trying to. Everyone knows you're a good guy and not Krunch the Evil Genius, but we need to stay focused. Remember that Ted's now trying to sort this problem out on top of continuing KotB development, so he doesn't have time for a lot of distractions. I know the XP topic was mentioned here before you commented on it, but this thread is really about Win98 and the rogue levelup problem with the .dll hacks. So, let's leave off with the XP and SP1, 2, 3 talk for now and see if we can get the ball rolling on figuring out what's up with 98. Maybe the general XP info could be posted to your Kaptain's Korner thread, as it could be quite helpful in other circumstances. (btw, the 98 info you also posted above is indeed just what we're looking for here, thanks.)

So whaddya say guys, peace? :hug:

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I was never mad or upset. :shrug:

14. Shiningted

And I was always aware the Kap could contribute something useful, like this:
    It just took a while ;)

This problem has got me stumped: i tried undoing some of the changes in the rogue_feat_past_level_10 hack, thinking there might be an overlap, but that didn't help, and I don't see where they have been overwritten by the .dll 11 changes. Have to wait for S-S I guess. :shrug:

15. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Really. :)
    If you give me the address where things go wrong, I at least have a starting point to work with. Right now I don't have a clue as to what should cause an OS specific problem in there.

Our Host!