Craft Magical Arms and Armor

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kyriff, Jan 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

I asked about this just recently on the WotC boards. Hilarious hijinks ensued.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

A classic example of the rules getting in the way of enjoyable gaming...or is it the rules lawyers?

3. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Of all the things I would call it, that would be near the bottom of the list. This seems orthogonal to enjoying the game, at least to me.

4. Lord_Spike

orthogonal

adj 1: not pertinent to the matter under consideration; "an issue extraneous to the debate"; "the price was immaterial"; "mentioned several impertinent facts before finally coming to the point" [syn: extraneous, immaterial, impertinent] 2: statistically unrelated 3: having a set of mutually perpendicular axes; meeting at right angles; "wind and sea may displace the ship's center of gravity along three orthogonal axes"; "a rectangular Cartesian coordinate system" [syn: rectangular]

==================

Why, I think you just agreed with me. Or, do, you need a new thesaurus?

5. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

You said the rules were getting in the way of enjoying the game. I said the two had nothing to do with one another at all (as you just pointed out). Those are not the same claim at all.

6. Lord_Spike

NOW you're disagreeing.

Wasn't that easy?

7. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

You are simply not making sense. I made exactly the same claim in both posts. I don't understand how you can fail to realize this.

8. Lord_Spike

It's this lack of understanding you have that is vexing you. Maybe you're just looking for more "Hilarious hijinks", but to me it's you who isn't making any sense. None of this matters, however; the thread was long dead until it was resurrected by someone new to the forum who wanted to argue a pointless point. But who cares?

My opinion remains unchanged...the rules in D&D are guidelines, and DM's exist to keep the game fun for all the players, not just the ones who can quote line and verse from every rulebook & supplement they happen to have at their disposal.

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Not trying to beat a zombie horse here, but I wanted to weigh in. I agree with the rules are a guideline stance. I have plenty of house rules in my games and have yet to play under a DM who didn't have any, even if it was something as simple as "No, that prestige class/feat/spell doesn't exist in my game world."

However, in the case of a CRPG, much-like tournament play, the game should adhere as closely to the letter of the rules as possible. Unfortunately, in this case, WotC has not given us a definitive answer, though I personally believe the arguements for CL not being a requirement outway those for it. But again, we don't have anything definitive, so it's best to err on the side Troika took.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I added the caster level requirement to craft cloaks of resistance and rings of protection, if I did this incorrectly, I appologise and it is an easy task to put it back to just money and experience requirements. Do we have to make a poll to determine Co8 house rules on the issue?

11. Lord_Spike

Poll it if you must, but I think you & Kal got it right; this rule makes sense to me. No one should be making +5 anything unless they've got the levels behind them first.

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

I must agree with Spike and Allyx, level requirements SHOULD be in crafting...

But that's just my 2 copper's worth.

13. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The restriction on actual plusses isn't debatable, it's clearly in the rules that you can only do 1 plus per 3 caster levels.

It's the assorted powers and miscellanious items where caster level isn't supposed to matter.

3.5 FAQ

Just to muddy the waters a bit more. :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  14. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

It's you who lack understanding, of simple logic.

YOUR INITIAL CLAIM: A and B interact in a certain specific way, namely, one somehow interferes with the other.

MY CLAIM: A and B simply don't interact at all. (This never changed; it was the same in both posts you replied to.)

YOUR LATER CLAIM: My claim somehow constitued agreeing with you. :roll: Even stranger; I make the exact same claim twice, you say I'm agreeing with you the first time and disagreeing with you the second.

Someone here isn't making any sense, but it isn't me. And there is no "to me" or "to you" about it. Logic is the same for everyone.

None of which has anything obvious to do with your "the rules are guidelines" stance, in which it seems to me you have simply confused CRPGs with face-to-face play. In a computer RPG, the rules had better be implemented correctly, because if they're screwed up you don't get to point it out to the GM. Face to face RPGs have human moderation and can afford to be fast and loose about the rules. A computer game does not, and can't.

I notice that you later seemed to think I was somehow saying that the level requirements for PLUSSES should be ignored. Again, you simply failed your reading comprehension check, because that just plain is not what I was talking about. I was talking about the caster level listed in standard magic item descriptions. Nowhere did I mention plusses; those simply aren't the level requirements I was talking about.

15. Lord_Spike

No one cares...except you, so you can stop already. Think whatever you like, just quit trying to stir up shit; or go argue with yourself.

:yawn:

Our Host!