Countering spell effect: Silenced

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by EvilCatEars, Apr 8, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. EvilCatEars

EvilCatEars Member

I'm curious, how do you counter effects of silence spell? Is there a way to get rid of this status by some kind of potion/crafted item, or maybe spell?

2. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I expect a prepared counter-spell could do the trick. Dispel magic (from outside the silenced area or using a meta-magic silent dispel). Or, just leave the silenced area.

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

Leaving the silenced area, if you have been silenced, still has you silenced though, for the duration of the spell, I am pretty sure.

My solution, Wand of Dispel Magic :)

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Or just have your big brute wade in and beat down the fool that tried to silence your mighty wizard. :)

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Ok, question for others, as I never have tried it or use them. Can a character use a wand when they are silenced in the game?

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    The only thing that I know of that will work when your spellcaster(s) are silenced is the feat "Silent Spell". I do know that if you have a Druid who has cast "Call Lightning" BEFORE being Silenced, said druid can still "call" down Lightning bolts on the enemy. I am uncertain as to whether or not silenced characters can use wands or scrolls, but I kind of doubt it.
    The Royal Canadian

7. florian1

florian1 Established Member

My experience has been that leaving the silenced area allows spell casters to cast normally again immediately. This is also in compliance with the SRD.

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I know they can use scrolls while silenced (which is a bug/exploit, of course). Probably wands too, not 100% sure.

9. EvilCatEars

EvilCatEars Member

Wow, kind of surprised by the answers. Ok, it seems somewhat confusing so:
    - leaving silenced area doesnt get rid of "Silenced" status (this seems to be a bug)
    - you can use wands/potions/wondrous items when silenced
    - you can use scrolls when silenced (this seems to be an exploit)
    - you can change shape when silenced
    - you can use "holding charge spells" like call ligtning/produce flame/dispel evil if you did cast them before being silenced

Thanks for telling about that, whenever I stumble upon something weird in ToEE, I try to go by the d20srd rules (ex. i always have backup weapon for reach weapon user).
    So, to "emulate" in ToEE, how it should really work: leave silenced area and use scrolls.

10. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Just tested this and walking out of the spell zone, you can cast on your next turn, but not in the turn you moved, even if you normally would be able to cast after moving, i.e. Magic Missile. Normally you canmove most of your "green move" and still cast MM, but if you are in a silenced area and move out of it, you cannot cast without the silent spell feat, but you can cast normally on your next turn.

Our Host!