Combat with a Trap

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by emptybook, Jun 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. emptybook

emptybook Member

Okay, so I made the mistake of sleeping next to Livonya's control box trap on the Greater Temple level, and my dear old pal, Mr Ettin spawned in. Easy-peasy stabbity death, but the Control Box decided it wanted a piece of the action!

"Treasure Box2" has a creepy blue face, nine hit-points and seems to be immune to everything I can throw at it. It was also completely untargetable. It had a halo from hovering over the portrait at the top, but it could not be targetted from there. AoE spells from Sound Burst to Ice Storm did nothing, and I couldn't find its red halo on the ground. (one of the fun things about Area of Effect spells is the ability to use them to scan for bad guys :p)

Flee Combat was an invalid action, and so was teleport. I couldn't get Roguey to talk to the boxes either.
    Alt + f4 worked 8), though.

I still haven't figured out how to get past the damn trap, but that's a tangent.

So, any tips on defeating the Control Box in combat? :help:

2. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Here's the only tip i can give you, don't draw the spawner into combat.

Invisible NPC's are used to initiate things like dialog and actions in the mods. They are flagged to be invisible and unattackable, but in certain situations like the one you have run into they can be drawn into combat. Liv broke alot of ground in there uses, but alot has been learned about them since then and this can be corrected in the script and protos entry so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the report, I'm not sure which mod you are playing but I imagine it will be fixed for 5.0.0, probably not for earlier versions so don't rest near it again and you should not have the problem again.

But sadly there is no way to defeat the spawner, the dialog with the box itself has some skill check conditions on it and if you do not have the minimum skills you will not be able to disable it IIrc.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

This problem is fixed for all of the spawner's in 5.0.0. My advice for you playing an earlier version is to take rufnredde's advice: Don't sleep next to the control boxes.

4. emptybook

emptybook Member

haha, thanks.

I was playing 4.0.1 but will upgrade to five as soon as possible. :)

Our Host!