Combat Freezes with Air Elemental

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dig314, Feb 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dig314

Dig314 Member

I keep getting stuck in combat with the "Large Air Elemental." The room - not far from fire temple - has a medium air elemental too. Combat won't progress when the Large one makes a 2nd or 3rd attack or an AO. Sometimes, the Escape key brings up the menu, other times I have to end task.

Any suggestions ? Someone posted on another issue: "turning off concurrent turns." If that doesn't work, I will avoid the room for now.

Dig

2. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

What's your hardware and mod configuration? This will help us figure out what might be causing your hang.

--Blair
    "No, you only THOUGHT you saw me pick it up. See? Empty pockets."

3. Dig314

Dig314 Member

My Specs are below. The Same problem occurs when I skip the air elemental and go fight the Ogres around the corner. After 3 or 4 enemy attacks, combat will get stuck when it is any enemy’s turn to attack. Seems to be the same with / without concurrent turns.

One more bit of INFO. My Wizard can not move! He is not encumbered. Even before combat begins, he can not move.

Toeefe 4.0.0 – release date Nov 2 2005
    7 party members
    Desperate HouseWives Allyx’s ShopMap are NOT installed
    Humble NPCs
    Clean Cache on Starup
    MAX level = 20
    MAX HP per level

Windows XP sp2.
    Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
    512x2 Crucial Ballistix PC3200
    ASUS A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Mobo
    Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive
    Aspire XDREAMER II Case with 350psu
    NEC 16X Dual Layer DVD Burner
    Gainward Ti4200 64mb ( I know )

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here's my 2 cents.

You listed the "ASUS A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Mobo". You can update the motherboard drivers from (1) the ASUS manufacturer website, hopefully, or even or also try (2) an alternate install of VIA drivers from the viaarena website.
    * If you want to use viaarena for alternate VIA drivers, ensure you download the proper drivers for your version of Windows XP.

You can update the video card drivers
    from Gainward
    -> for their NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    the W2000/XP file download <--click this

Short of the above fixing the problem by installing different drivers, I'd say a complete uninstall and reinstall of ToEE could fix it, including deleting all of the remaining ToEE folders before the reboot and reinstall of ToEE.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  5. Dig314

Dig314 Member

I read about a work-around on the Atari forums:
    Take stairs / take a door to force the game area to change.

After I took the stairs, my wizard could walk around normally. I went back and defeated the Air Elementals and then the Ogres around the corner.

Other methods:
    Manually start combat with the 'C' key, then chose FLEE off the movement option.
    OR
    Open the console by hitting shift ~ and type in from utilities import * <hit enter>
    then type in game.fade_and_teleport(0,0,0,5001,624,301) <hit enter>
    This will teleport you to Hommlet. Use shift and ~ again to close the console.

I have the saved game from when my wizard was stuck if anyone wants it.

Here is one odd event that MAY have preceded the bug....
    I don't know if the wizard was stuck right before or right after this event.
    My thief picked the lock on one of the double doors leading to the air elemental. My thief walked into the room, which started combat with the Air Elementals. On my thief's first turn, she tried to run back out of the room. The path-finding tried to have her go through the closed / locked side of the double door. The game said door was locked and it took away most of her action bar. 1 or 2 turns later, combat froze for the first time.

Dig

6. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

Hmmmm. Sounds like we chalk up one more victim to the "evil path calculation of DOOM!" The game's poor path finding, BTW, is apparently the cause of some of the worst crashes and hangs, most notably in the Elemental Nodes. (If you haven't been there yet, you'll recognize it when you do.) Follow Krunch's instructions now; hopefully by the time you experience what we fondly term "Node slowdown" doing so will help minimize your down time.

In the meantime, to avoid further problems with that kind of hang, whenever you are near an area with doors make sure you use waypoints every time you move a character. (See the manual for more details.) This forces the game into a certain movement path instead of attempting the potentially bug-inducing autopath calculation.

Oh, and you do have "auto save on map change" turned off, right? :ninja:

--Blair
    "You and I are men of action. Lies do not become us."

Our Host!