Co8 Patch with Official Patch 1?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MinisterofTruth, Jan 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. MinisterofTruth

MinisterofTruth Member

So, how compatible is the Co8 patch 3.0.4 with the official Patch 1? The reason I ask is that if I patch ToEE with Patch 2 (or Patch 3 for that matter) it causes my system to lock up and reboot as soon as I attempt to start the game. This is with or without any other patches such as the Co8 patch. Patch 1 *will* work, and I have tried applying the Co8 patch which seems to work as well (though I am seeing the -511 magic missile bug) with Patch 1. I haven't gotten very far in the game yet and am mostly just looking to be able to play the game thru and have it be stable. As far as trying to solve the crash with Patch 2, I've got no idea. I have XP with SP2 (so I'm also working around the looting bug). I've upgraded both my video AND sound drivers to no affect. My current wild guess is the fact that I still have my (so far anyway) venerable old Geforce 2 GTS video card which, by some accounts, doesn't play nice with DirectX 9 (or at all...:) )

2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

The Co8 mod packs are tailored to address problems which have not been fixed in official patches. Skipping the 2nd official patch means you will not be getting the full complement of fixes. It also means the random number generator will be largely problematic and prone to delivering 'clumped' rolls (many high rolls in 1 stretch and then many low rolls).

Combining mod pack 3.0.4, moebius's temple.dll and the 1st official patch is not recommended at all. When Steve Moret externalized the code from ToEE.exe to temple.dll there were other files involved like tio.dll.
    By patching halfway by using moebius's temple.dll with the original ToEE.exe, you may not even be accessing temple.dll at all and even if you were, it is more than likely that the missing files from the 2nd official patch will cause problems later on.

All ToEE players are strongly advised to patch with the 2nd official patch to get all official fixes and for best compatibility with the latest mod pack and with moebius's temple.dll.

Not sure about the graphics card but as far as I'm concerned, non-XP, non-directX9c systems with background programs reduced to the minimal is the most stable setup for ToEE.
    Hope you can get the issue resolved and the 2nd official patch installed.

3. MinisterofTruth

MinisterofTruth Member

Yeah, that's what I figured. It works...sort of. But I just went back to running it with nothing but Patch 1. Nothing I've tried has solved the issue of Patch 2 crashing my system so I'll just have to deal with Patch 1. I can't see myself trying to back down my DirectX version and/or uninstalling SP 2. Just the idea sounds like a total nightmare. :) I *could* possible partition off a bit of disk space and see about doing some sort of dual boot. Hmmmmm....*that* sounds interesting. Anyway, thanks for the info!

4. MinisterofTruth

MinisterofTruth Member

Well, more than one way to skin a cat. I used the extra space on my second hard drive to set up a second install of WindowsXP. Updated only my hardware drivers and let ToEE install DirectX 9.0 for me. It works great now with patch 2, the Co8 patch and mobieus's patch. So WooHoo! Sure, I gotta reboot my system everytime I want to play, but given how often I get a CHANCE to play (8 mo. old daughter ya know...) that's fine by me. :)

5. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Good to know you've got it working. :)
    ToEE is a very particular game when it comes to DirectX and memory. Ensuring the same settings when you can get it working will help cut down on unwanted errors/CTDs. Try to play without any programs running in the background (including Norton Antivirus), a previous thread at Atari has shown the game to be a memory hog.
    Also remember to save often and in separate files, especially when nearing the 2nd level of the temple. Saved file corruption has been noted several times there and it pays to have a recent save to revert to.

Ok, I suppose that's all. Don't hesitate to post anything unusual which occurs in the game. Happy gaming. :)

Our Host!