Co8 New Content: Welkwood Bog

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you look at its effects on your skills, you should see a "+1 Masterwork:..." offsetting the penalty. That's how mithril shirts can end up with a +1 bonus when you apply armor oil.

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

Ah - didn´t notice that. Thankyou.

3. ConjurerDragon

Using version 7.6.0 in my game I turned Mathel with my level 2 cleric and after having returned to Hommlet to sell off a dozen leather armours I returned to Welkwood Bog to see if the items mentioned in this thread would be still there - but I find none after the fire of Mathel´s exploding body has gone out. Have those already been removed so that it´s o.k. that there are none or did I screw up by first leaving the map and then returning?

When Mathel is no spellcaster - then who did those 3 illusions? I could see two of them as minor images but the first encountered must be at least a major image and then there´s no spellcaster around?

4. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Originally posted by Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.3 NC release notes:
    So, to answer your question, Mathel's items are no longer lootable in any version of the Co8 modpack NC from version 5.9.3 NC onwards. The reasons for making his items unlootable are because they unbalanced the game by giving the player too many good magical items too early in the game (as well as the Co8 modders' relentless pursuit for removing as many magical items (that were introduced by the Co8 modders) from the game as possible (excluding magical items from the vanilla version of the computer game The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure).

Mathel's death is unique in that he explodes when he dies, leaving nothing behind (not even a corpse) (which explains why none of his items are lootable (from a role-playing perspective at least)).

The only other monster in the game that has a unique death animation (as far as I can remember) is the Juggernaut - when you destroy the Juggernaut, the Juggernaut will also explode.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think it would be excellent if you suffered a negative charisma until you rested if you were within 15 feet of Mathel or the Juggernaut when they explode.

I'm thinking -2 Charisma until you rest and can clean the Mathel/Juggernaut sauce off of your armor and robes.

I mean, come on ... You know they can't smell anything but RANK! :p

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Balor too. Poof!

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

And the Oozes. (Death animation, I mean - they fade away).
    I always assumed a scroll and a lucky UMD roll. :shrug:

8. ConjurerDragon

After you told me that I looked at all of the stuff I have found and noticed that the
    "Radiant Longsword" (the one I got from Melenys father) gives my fighter a negative level to skills because he is lawful evil... :roll:

If I had known that before I had my fighter created as lawful good for my lawful neutral party. Is there a way to change the alignment once the game has started?

9. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

No way to change party alignment or PC alignment once the game starts. Depending on how far you've got, and what the party alignment is, you could swap out your LE fighter for a LG one (provided your party is LN); if you're just back from Welkwood and early level 2, 1000 xp won't take long to make up (plus a fighter with a +1 holy sword has the same hit chance as he would have one level higher with a non-magical sword, and an extra 2d6 damage vs evil..)

Exploding monsters: magna mephits also explode (and do a decent amount of damage) when slain. Not sure if this is as per Monster Manual, or purely because they share a model with the Balor.

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Non-evil is sufficient. ;)

11. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

You CAN change a PC's alignment. Console (frowned upon) help: game.party[x].stat_base_set(stat_alignment,y)
    Don't remember what alignment numbers (y) are on top of my head.....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  12. ConjurerDragon

I just started over as I weren´t that far into the game.
    Now my LN party has all shades of grey with a LG Fighter, LG cleric, LE Rogue, True Neutral Ranger and Lawful neutral Sorcerer and I can use those holy weapons without penalties.

13. ConjurerDragon

In my first game with 7.6.0 I got both kobold and both goblin leaders. However now after restarting to make my fighter LG instead of LE I have cleaned the Westwoodbog map (with the exception of Mathels room) and have only found 1 chainshirt and 1 small masterwork studded armour. So I´m guessing I have missed 1 kobold leader and 1 goblin leader.

How exactly would I force-initiate combat with them if they hadn´t ambushed me?

Edit: Forget my question - I just noticed that in the Mathel fight are another kobold sergeant and goblin leader so those probably are the sources of equipment I had missed...

But another question that came to me in the Mathel fight:
    I tried to sneak my Rogue behind the living henchmen of Mathel and then started sneaking the other partymembers into the room. Combat started but all my PC´s and NPC´s continued to sneak towards their enemy. As it´s not possible to start sneaking within combat shouldn´t they auto-stop sneaking once combat starts?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  14. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I'd just like to point out that the NC version of the Circle of Eight Modpack has the following unholy items in the game (which would be suitable for a neutral or evil character to equip and use):

Unholy Orc Double Axe +1

Unholy Great-Hammer +2 (uses the warhammer weapon proficiency)

Unholy Shield +3

Unholy Axiomatic (Lawful) Defending Great-Hammer +1 (uses the warhammer weapon proficiency)

15. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

So, I've been playing some of the earlier versions, have just gotten back into it.
    Friggin love it so far obviously, but I was wondering if anyone else had the problems I had: When I took the Welkwood Bog quest at the beginning of the game, I didn't do the travel immediately. Rather, I wanted to go around and look all over, etc.
    To my surprise, when I went to the world map, Emrydis Run was highlighted, not Welkwood Bog, and I couldn't even travel to Emrydis Run anyway.
    Probably a glitch and I'll have to start over and re-activate the 7.6NC, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems.
    I ask only because it's the first time I've experienced this issue before.

Our Host!