Co8 New Content: War of the Golden Skull

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kelanen2002

Kelanen2002 Member

Well... I got a partial fix, but it's only very partial... :(

I went back to the beginning of WotGS, refought every battle, went into a building after every fight, didn't loot a single body, and deliberately left the Welcome Wench until last.

This way I got to fight all the battles, find all the road patrols, and complete the quest. Jerkstop movement was much better this time only slowing towards the end, and not completely. Mobs were partially frozen for the first couple after the Town Defence, and completely frozen thereafter still though, so it was still only about completing a mission, rather than actually getting real fights.

Welcome Wench area seems to be far worse than anywhere else, and it always gets worse when a new round of explosions starts (and often continues after I killed the offending mob). turning those off may help?

I have however, now frozen completely in Hommlet again. I can move to another map and move fine, but I can't do anything in Hommlet, so no meeting Fireforge, and no Brother Smythe to end. My guess is that my game basically ends here.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Tom3

Tom3 Member

I have never been able to fight the War of the Golden Skull. I have a new 24" Sony Viao all in one. It is the very top of the line. But every time I try I get jerk stop. Nothing seems to alleviate it. I've even dumped it all and reloaded the entire program, mods etc...

Overall though the Mods and Patches are great. I had no issues of note in the pocket dimensions; before I had all kinds of issues. I tend to create all my magic items. I haven't entered the sewers so I guess I need to do that.

Maybe somewhere this question has been answered but there are two rings that I would like a mage to create; rings of wizardry and rings of spell storing.; Is there anything in the works to get these rings in. Armor of Fortification is another item that would be neat to make.

But someday I would sure like to take a party through the War of the Golden Skull.

Thanks again though. When I first played this ten years ago or so it was a great idea poorly executed; you guys have done a great job fixing it.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are you playing version 7.4?

4. Tom3

Tom3 Member

Yes I am. I loaded it the day it came out.

5. Tom3

Tom3 Member

I've tried playing the War of the Golden Skull three times. Maybe the battle could be moved; something like a second battle of Embry Meadows, or even a new area. Have some of the Badgers, Clerics, Druid and other town folk intercept the forces of Hextor outside the town . It could be a new local, completely "clean" area, like a forest right outside Hommlet. Maybe have the forces of Hextor use the Moathouse as a staging area and have the battle between Hommlet and the Moat House.

Another thought; have the forces of Hextor use the "Lich's" area as a staging area. Anyway. just wanted to throw out a few ideas. Obviously if a solution could be foun d to the jerkstop issues in Hommlet that would be the best answer.

I will have to contribute some dollars to your efforts. Thanks again for your outstanding efforts.

6. Gaear

This is the first we've heard that jerkstop is still present in 7.4 for WotGS, sadly. Others seem to have had smooth play until now.

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Tom3, welcome to the forum. Ever since I found my first Ring of Wizardry in a computer game (it would have been either Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, or Pools of Darkness), they have always been my favourite item for my wizard to use in Dungeons & Dragons.

I believe that it would be possible for the Circle of Eight modders to create new items in the game, but I believe that there may be limitations with what the new items are capable of doing. You'll just have to wait to see if any of the Circle of Eight modders take up your challenge. In the meantime, the closest item to what you are after that is currently in the game is the following item that can be obtained from the witch in the Gnarley Forest during the 'Moathouse Respawn' (note: the item does NOT work with sorcerers - it ONLY works with wizards!):

Ring of Resonance (once per day, restores all used Wizard spells that wearer had memorized) (you can only get the Ring of Resonance either by stealing it from her, killing her, or bluffing when talking to her (you need a high enough bluff skill for the dialogue option to be present))

My apologies if you already know about the Ring of Resonance.

8. Tom3

Tom3 Member

Thanks for your response. I have had the Ring of Resonance in several parties but it is a super powerful item. I should have joined the forum 6 months ago.

I am investigating reasons for why my computer has such problems with jerk stop.; it is relatively new (a Sony Viao 24 inch all in one). I wonder if Norton 360 or Windows 7 Professional could affect the ability of the computer to run the War of the Golden Skull. I don't have any problems anywhere else. Occasionally I have a hick up but nothing of note.

Perhaps a second question I should ask is what computer/ processor/operating system/virus protection are others using that do not have jerk stop issues?

Thanks.

9. Tom3

Tom3 Member

Ive read through several different threads; at least three people I read had jerk stop issues with 7-4. One work around I have not tried was going to the Delko Forrest; maybe that will work.

10. Tom3

Tom3 Member

Amazingly I tried going to the Delko Grove before going to the town defense building and it worked! When I came back to Hommlet I never experienced jerk stop again. So game wise I left the Inn at 7:00 PM, entered jerk stop. Called up the world map and traveled to the Delko Grove and then returned. I then walked over to the Town Defense Building. I triggered the attack and then was able to fight it witout any issues.

I've killed all the attacking forces but now have a problem. The "Adventure=r" keepsa telling me I have not defeated the attack on the Town Defense Building (I've walked around the building a half dozen times at least and can't find anything alive other than my party) and the Northwest patrol. I have re-walked every road at least twice. I have walked cut through the town back and forth multiple times. So how do I end this "battle" now. Have I missed something.

11. Gaear

Just to be very specific about this, did you ever experience jerkstop after the WotGS attack had started, during any of your 7.4 attempts? Reading your posts, it sounds like you had issues after exiting the inn with the intent of going over to the town defense to talk to Ariakas for the first time. Technically that would be pre-WotGS. I'm not trying to badger you on that, just want to get the exact scenario because it could be very critical to our jerkstop progress.

There seem to be some known issues with death counts on the various camps. Did you fight Wakefield in the town defense attack? You need the patch to make him appear. If he was not there as per unpatched 7.4 and you fought that group without him, the death count would be one short.

12. Tom3

Tom3 Member

No I did not experience jerkstop once the battle began. Dumb question; How do I patch In Wakefield?

13. Gaear

Download and install the patch found here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=117192&postcount=643

Note that it you will have to go back to a save from before you came out of the twon defense to meet the attackers. If you don't want to do that again, I can give you the console codes to make the NW patrol and town defense group 'defeated.'

We will probably have a for-real patch out this weekend that addresses a few more things.

Can you do me a favor and go count how many NW patrol bodies you see lying on the ground, and what they are (assassins, soldiers)?

Thanks for the when-specs. That means 7.4 WotGS jerkstop is still a no-show. :)

14. Tom3

Tom3 Member

I hope I have the right patrol. I counted the group on the road "west" (to the right) of the wizards tower. I counted 6 fighters, 2 Assassins, 2 Soldiers and 2 Archers.

15. Gaear

Actually that's south-southeast, lol. In isometric CRPG's, north is generally the top left, east the top right, west the bottom left, and south the bottom right.

The NW patrol is probably somewhere in the vicinity of the Traders' store. They patrol from just south of the church over to Fruella's and back, on the church side of the river.

Our Host!