Co8 New Content: Moathouse Respawn

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Kamas and Tonfas are more optimal but fists are way more fun. Plus you're able to use Stunning Fist which is a pretty useful ability. Unlike in PnP, you can't make stunning kicks while using a weapon =(

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I agree with you in principal, but sometimes you need a weapon to damage monsters your hands cannot. Enchanted kamas are usually that weapon for me, except in PnP where the naginata is a monk weapon and I use that as my back up since it also gives me reach.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, here's the deal on undead damage reduction.

In other words, a damage reduction listing lists the number reduced, and the weapon type that can bypass it. So a skeleton with DR 5/bludgeoning does not mean that it reduces 5 points on a bludgeoning attack; it means that it reduces 5 points except on a bludgeoning attack.

Here are some examples:

Skeleton attacked by edged weapon

skeledged.jpg

Here a skeleton is attacked with a longsword (slashing). It has DR 5/bludgeoning, meaning it is vulnerable to bludgeoning weapons. The longsword's slashing attack does not penetrate and a -5 penalty is applied to the damage total.

Skeleton attacked by blunt weapon

skelblunt.jpg

Here a skeleton is attacked with a mace (bludgeoning). It has DR 5/bludgeoning, meaning it is vulnerable to bludgeoning weapons. The mace's bludgeoning attack does penetrate and no -5 penalty is applied to the damage total.

Zombie attacked by edged weapon

zomedged.jpg

Here a zombie is attacked with a longsword (slashing). It has DR 5/slashing, meaning it is vulnerable to slashing weapons. The longsword's slashing attack penetrates and no -5 penalty is applied to the damage total.

Zombie attacked by blunt weapon

zomblunt.jpg

Here a zombie is attacked with a mace (bludgeoning). It has DR 5/slashing, meaning it is vulnerable to slashing weapons. The mace's bludgeoning attack does not penetrate and a -5 penalty is applied to the damage total.

Basically, if an attack roll lists the same thing for weapon damage type and creature DR, that means the weapon will penetrate.

I checked all ToEE skeleton and zombie protos and they all have the correct DRs entered. Has anybody actually had a zombie resist slashing damage or a skeleton resist bludgeoning damage within the contexts given above?

4. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Not sure about Moathouse Respawn but in every other instance where undead appear, it has always worked as intended on my end.

5. sonofliberty

The outside skeletons at the moathouse respawn are immune to blunt weapons. I even hit one with a +1 holy mace and did zero damage. Even the holy damage didn't work.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Real monks use their hands. ;)

FOR FIGHTING ....

Are the moathouse respawn creatures special, as in altered to be stronger and such?

This might be we're the wrong resistance was assigned.

Could you look at the skeletons spawns in the MH court yard specifically?

7. Gaear

Okay, I looked at them and they were actually resisting everything, just like that one respawn archer skel used to in the Lareth area. No idea how they could do that or how/why they became that way, but I just replaced them and they are fine now. You'll see this change the next modpack. Thanks for reporting.

8. sirchet

I was able to kill them with piercing weapons but blunt does 0 damage.

9. sonofliberty

They were no match for the radiance of Pelor! :yes:

10. sirchet

Btw,is Kent's voice vanilla or did a modder add it? It's just so well done it makes me think it's professional.

And while we're at it, Kenter Nevets .... Is that your voice talents Gaear?

He's done we'll, so you can come clean now. ;)

11. Gaear

Kent is not vanilla, so his voice couldn't be either. ;) Kenter Nevets was done by former Co8er Zorn, who was a friend of Lord Spike. He is a professional theater guy and he did several NPC voices for us actually, as well as marshalling some of his theater colleagues to do others. Kent was actually voiced by his daughter, who at the time could sound like a little boy but who is probably now a teenager.

I have no voice talent, so don't worry - you'll never hear me in ToEE. :p I do the sound engineering though.

Isewein likes this.
  12. sirchet

Ahhh, now that you mention it I vaguely remember a discussion about his skills and voice talents.

And I'm still going to imagine Kenter Nevets voice when I read your posts anyway. :p

13. sonofliberty

As it turns out, the skeleton gnolls are also immune to blunt damage. I usually just walk in and let my cleric blast them out of existence, but this time I decided to check. They take full damage from piercing and -10 to blunt and slashing.

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah, that's why I've never noticed the problem. I just assumed the crafted composite longbows were overcoming the normal resistance to piercing.

15. Gaear

Okay I looked at the skeleton gnolls and three of them were hyper-immune - 2 in the back room and the rover in the front. All the others were normal. Does that sound right?

At any rate I replaced those as well.

Our Host!