Co8 New Content: Hickory Branch

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, I think that would be good.

A good reason not to do Hungous and Co. is that after the delay they're hiding in the cave behind the stone (presumably to improve their chances/situation, so they wouldn't throw that advantage away). I always figured one of the ogres moved the stone in front of the entrance. While it could also then move it to let them back out, that would sort of defeat the purpose.

2. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

I love Hickory Branch, but I do have a question regarding some of the enemies you fight. Lately, what I've been doing is going thu the fight one after the other, yada yada yada, etc, etc, and then going straight to Hungous and beating him when he's a bit outnumbered and only has a few of his baddies with him, then going outside and being accosted by the rest.
    With that in mind, I was wondering if you guys had any intention of making some of the lower end chars, like the Orc Lieutenant and Boonthag, stand out more in some way. I always thought that for whatever reason, the Orc Lieutenant should have a Masterwork or +1 Falchion rather than a normal one, and Boonthag should have a masterwork weapon as well.
    But really, do those characters have stats different from normal enemies you would face? Like is Boonthag more badass than a normal bugbear leader or just a standard bugbear leader with improved health (if that)?

3. Gaear

They are generally improved. For example, Boonthag is among the strongest bugbears out there.

They may have to be improved even more (in stats and gear) if the NC ever gets backloaded to post Zugg.

4. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

If that's the general plan, then definitely so sir.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I still think that the balance would be better if NC bacame a stand-alone module rather than being back-loaded, but iirc you don't like that idea *shrug*. Most of the non-verbo content would need a lot of reworking to make it challenging for lv10+ parties.

6. Gaear

That's true, and that's kind of the rub right now.

If we were to make NC a stand alone module, how would we account for levels 1 - 12? HB, AoH, and MR don't have enough XP in and of themselves to get you there. We'd either have to redesign Verbobonc to be low to moderate level (which seems kind of self-defeating, as the idea with much of the NC is to enable high level play) or add a bunch more NC, which is never so easy.

IMO the appealing thing about back-loading NC is this: ToEE was originally designed as a level 1 - 10 game, and vanilla ToEE did just that. Co8 enabled levels 11 - 20, but there was no level 11 - 20 content, so we would (theoretically) provide it. So you'd have a pretty neat division between vanilla and NC. Players would know exactly what it was and could easily avoid it or play it depending on their preferences.

7. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    I just had a wild (crazy, probably stupid but what the heck :shrug: ) idea. IF you could get the files (or persuade a certain not-so-shining person to complete his Mod), what about tacking Hickory Branch, the Arena of Heroes and Verbobonc onto the end of KoTB ? Right now, KoTB only takes you up to 6th Level or so, so adding Hickory Branch, Verbobonc, and the Arena of Heroes (in their current form) would be a perfect fit with no modifications to either mod (other than completing KoTB) necessary.
    The Royal Canadian

8. The Royal Canadian

Hi
    Just a few more crazy ideas.
    1.) Assuming you do decide to go with a KoTB ---> AOH ----> HB ---> Verbobonc progression, you could always drop Welkwood Bog (of course you would have to alter the initial dialogues with Brother Smyth and Reston) somewhere near the Keep.
    2.) Another easy ( ?? ) add-on to KoTB would be the Cave of Ogres from Vanilla (except in this case the PC's are asked to clear the cave out by the authorities in the Keep.
    3.) Would it be possible to add the Moathouse (more or less "As Is" ) to KoTB ??

In my opinion (and I freely admit it is just my opinion, and probably a bad idea to boot) adding these 3 areas to KoTB (assuming KoTB can be completed) would probably provide enough adventuring around the Keep to get a party of 5 PC's up to 7th or 8th Level before sending them on towards Verbobonc.
    The Royal Canadian

9. Gaear

Thanks for the input TRC, but basically ... not gonna happen. Two separate projects that have too little in common to really merge. I'm pretty sure there were no Moathouse, Verbobonc et al in the KotB module.

10. The Royal Canadian

Hi Gaear
    I only mentioned it as a possibility because (level balance-wise) HB, and Verbo as they are now fit perfectly with KoTB. Meaning no offense, but I don't remember seeing Verbobonc, Hickory Branch, Welkwood Bog or Emridy Meadows as fully detailed adventuring areas in the the original PnP module, and the only one that was included in Vanilla was Emridy Meadows. I grant you, coming up with a plausible reason why a group that had successfully cleaned out the area around the Keep (which is in the Yeomanry of the World of Grayhawk) would travel halfway across the continent to the Viscounty of Verbobonc is a bit of a stretch. I should also point out that the various hextorite adventures tie in very nicely with KoTB, where there is a hextorite plot already in play.
    The Royal Canadian

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^My guess would be that reconciling the vastly differing mechanics between the two mods would be no less of an ordeal than any of the other options. KoTB added a lot of stuff that isn't present in Co8 TOEE, and it plays quite differently in general. Coming up with a plausible plot/pretext is probably a lesser worry.

I guess it all comes down to figuring out whether it's more difficult to create fresh content to fill the gaps, or update existing content to a higher level. Probably a big piece of work either way.

12. Gaear

Yeah. I'm frankly not really familiar enough with what Ted has implemented in KotB to attempt something like that.

True, but if I had to pick I'd choose updating. There's just a phenomenal amount of work that goes into creating new stuff from scratch, not the least of which is often new maps. :eek:

The thing is, Verbobonc is at least referenced in ToEE and is a major city in within striking distance of where ToEE takes place, basically functioning as something akin to a capital city. I don't know that the KotB was anywhere near it. HB and WB are of course custom Co8 areas (though they have specific ToEEish locales, e.g. Gnarley Forest), but the Moathouse isn't, and as you say EM already 'belongs' to ToEE.

There are other issues as well. KotB is basically Ted's 'property' as it were and I don't believe we're entitled to take it over (he had a very specific design document in place that did not include anything having to do with any of the ToEE NC). Plus there are issues with various KotB assets that I would not be pleased with personally. Plus (and probably most importantly) I really don't want to do it. ;)

13. The Royal Canadian

Hi Gaear
    If I sounded a little pushy in my last post, I apologize, I just wanted to make sure that the idea wasn't dismissed out of hand. You are right that Ted had incorporated some new features into KoTB, I didn't realize that he had sort of "copywrited" them. I freely confess,
    that there are times when I wish that the "Control Animal Follower" function that he had devised could somehow be incorporated into ToEE.
    I agree that it is easier to modify something that already exists than it is to create something new. I am beginning to wonder if that is why Ted abandoned KoTB, he had created a pretty good adventure for character Levels 1 -6, but what was he going to do for Levels 7 - 12 or so ?? At any rate keep up the excellent work !!
    The Royal Canadian

14. Gaear

No worries, TRC. I try not to dismiss ideas (especially from longtimers), but I do 'test' them - if i didn't we'd have everything (including the kitchen sink ;)) in the mod ... which was a bad thing back when we actually did it that way.

Ted hasn't technically secured any copyright on KotB (we can't really do that while using somebody else's gaming engine); I moreso mean in the realm of what's appropriate. That project was his baby from the get go, as opposed to the regular mod which is an amalgamation of various parts that are larger than any individual contributor. It's sort of like Ted's KotB vs. Co8's ToEE. :)

15. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

What are Lord Hungous' actual stats?
    He seems to wield a weapon that's way too badass to just have base level barbarian armor as his sole armor.
    I would think maybe Barbarian armor +1, or something a bit harder at least, simply because his underlings wear troll bone armor and troll armor, and even the lowest scum underlings have a chain shirt and masterwork small studded leather (which shouldn't fit my 6'8" female half orc rogue but does I might add). Maybe give him some sort of custom barbarian armor with a different skin.
    Also, for assassins on the level (at least one half-orc assassin), do they have any special skills or stats as assassins or are they just high level rogues specialized with combat in mind?

Our Host!